VetNet A forum dedicated to ALL Veterans... their unique needs and wants. A place where Veterans old and new can discuss their problems and find the help and support they are looking for.

Consulting our vets on an idea

Old 12-29-2014, 06:38 AM
RL250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consulting our vets on an idea

So I have this idea for when I get out and on my feet to start a non-profit that modifies any car to better allow our disabled brethren to operate. My main focus would be to modify manual transmissions and other controls to allow a single vet who is missing full use of one of more limbs to fully control the vehicle. I know it is often done to motorcycles, but they are a bit easier.

I just wanted your opinion is this would be a good idea. Improving the quality of life for just one disabled vet would be a success in my book.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:10 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
I think any improvement for these guys is a great idea! Mobility is a huge issue for a lot of these guys.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:21 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My older brother in San Diego had a hand controlled Cadillac Eldorado for several years, but he was not able to maintain it, and my Pop (who was not a man I would trust to work on a motor vehicle) was the only place he could turn to to fix it. It eventually went to pieces - but I have a considerable amount of observational experience in that.

The main concern ought to be that the choice of machine should be one that is easy for a handicapped person to not only get in and out of, but ALSO be one that they will have no problems with if a wheelchair is needed.

My brother used to drag himself into the drivers seat, and then stuff his chair behind the seat, and use the power seat controls to crush the chair back behind it. It tore up the seat, the bottom of the door jam, and his chairs - one after another. But he insisted on a convertable Eldo as a matter of prestige, even though it was inappropriate and unrealistic to his needs.

It was also an expensive proposition from the start.

A better choice for him might have been a van, maybe a smaller van like the Aerostar, but a van with a side hatch and a lift...

Modern transmissions have an electronic drivetrain control module, and so long as an automatic transmission is the gearbox I think that having a shift lever on the column makes it workable, even if an older hydraulic tranny is used.

Complexity of controls is an issue, if hands only are what is available to operate the machine.

Hand Controls look like a motorcycle handgrip that comes out past the steering wheel on the right side.
Pushing down towards the floor is the accellerator. (it swivels downward)
Pushing FORWARD is the brakes. (for obvious reasons)

This allows for one hand on the wheel, and one on the accellerator/brake control.

A cruise control could be incorporated easily - they automatically CANCEL cruise if any input is made to the controls. I would recommend an easily hit SHUTOFF for a cruise control in case of trouble.

Mark (MAPLES) in the Tennessee Chapter at FTE is a paraplegic - his leg use was lost in a tragic jeep wreck many years ago - but his sig message is that he has never let his disability prevent him from wrenching on his vans (!!!)

He is an excellent individual - and should be talked to about this idea if you really want absolute down to it info that a disabled man or woman can use.

SUBSCRIBING

If I think of more that can help I will jump right in, I'm just going on first impressions at the moment

ON EDIT - further thoughts...
I have met and talked to several people in my local area, partially disabled, who drive, and have a wheelchair rack on the back of their vehicles.
They tell me that they hold onto the side of their car (or whatever) as they go to the back to get to their chair.

I wonder if a handrail on the side of the vehicle would be a helpful add on? I note this, because the side of a car or an SUV is going to be slick if it is raining even a little bit.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:53 AM
RL250
Posting Guru
Dutch- I took some time to think about your advise, and will advise any customers of it. However, my idea behind it was a what if senario in my own mind: how could I keep driving the cars/trucks/whatever I love if I lost the use of X limb? So I want the customer to choose the vehicle, and my project would modify to suit. That was and shall be my main goal. And with that new Mopar 8-speed semi-auto trans, options keep growing for our comrades in need.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Around here, we even have a guy or two that have hand controlled Harley Davidson and VW powered TRIKES - there's a way to do almost anything, I'm sure of it.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:53 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
DAV hunting in Georgia

Adding this because it's along the same lines as what I plan to do. Dad's real big into helping these guys out, and I'll spread the word here. They specialize in outdoor recreation for amputees. Guess you can tell by the name.

Amputee Outdoors

Old 03-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Mtncrash1
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great idea here. Not too sure how well a standard transmission could be modified but, most disabled vets are willing to go the extra mile to get their freedoms.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I don't know how many of you ever saw a 1960 - 61 Desoto (just before they sold everything to Chrysler) but they had a cable connected set of push buttons on the dash panel that you selected gears with.

My recent wild imaginings have centered around E4OD transmissions. I think they can be set up to shift using a set of push buttons and relays that will operate the electric clutches in the transmission with much the same layout - a row of buttons on the dash just to the side of the steering wheel.

I have not verified this idea yet, it will be a while before I have one to play with.

More modern transfer cases also use electrical inputs to shift them into different configurations, and that is another line of thought I have been toying with.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Mtncrash1
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Greywolf
I don't know how many of you ever saw a 1960 - 61 Desoto (just before they sold everything to Chrysler) but they had a cable connected set of push buttons on the dash panel that you selected gears with.

My recent wild imaginings have centered around E4OD transmissions. I think they can be set up to shift using a set of push buttons and relays that will operate the electric clutches in the transmission with much the same layout - a row of buttons on the dash just to the side of the steering wheel.

I have not verified this idea yet, it will be a while before I have one to play with.

More modern transfer cases also use electrical inputs to shift them into different configurations, and that is another line of thought I have been toying with.
That concept is still around today. Think of the cars that have the paddle shifter. Even the trucks that have the manual shift option. If the manufacturers really wanted to they could make any vehicle drivable for all.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:14 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I think the "DEMOLITION MAN" concept of voice recognition software control option is a bit far fetched though, Imagine having an argument with a mis-behaving car or truck?

"SELF DRIVE NOW, YOU SORRY PIECE OF SHIIII...."
"That option is not available at this time"
"You have been fined X credits for violations of the morality code"

"HOLY SHIIIIIT!!!!"

(crunch)

Imagine the software glitches that could cause pure dire trouble with GPS and AI installed:

In the news:
FORD MOTOR COMPANY sued by young couple when their new SUV intended to return to Windsor Michigan after they accepted delivery of the new vehicle, Apparently a factory installed ANTI-THEFT device was not de-activated by the dealership on delivery...

Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Old 04-20-2015, 10:32 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
I
Originally Posted by Greywolf

Have any of you old vets seen the Allison transmissions in the heavy trucks these days? All push button electronic. 7 forward gears.

As an aside, Amputee Outdoors is now a sponsor for a dirt car in GA. My dad told me they had a pretty bad crash last weekend. They are hunting for a carbon driveshaft for the car and a few other things. Might as well check them out on Facebook. I've also friended the driver and wrench for the team. Oddly, the wrench goes by Catfish. And I don't think he was ever a lawyer.

Last edited by RL250; 04-20-2015 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Typo