1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stuck Oil filter removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 12:50 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by old_dan
I have been using Dow Corning DC-4 compound to lube the gasket on oil filters for years. I haven't had to do the old "drive a big screwdriver through the filter trick" since I started using the DC-4. I picked up on that practice when working as an aircraft mechanic. It is recommended by most of the filter manufacturers for aircraft use, so I figured it would be OK for my cars and trucks as well. It is also a good lube on O-rings.

Dan
Just don't get it within feet of anything you ever want to paint since it is silicone based.

The filter boss threaded stem is only about 1.25" long so just stay above that if driving anything thru the filter. Worse a bar will do is tear the filter housing in two. If that happens you have a seriously stuck filter! If it does, then stick one jaw of a pair of vise grips inside the filter and one outside on the remaining stub. Clamp down tightly, and while supporting the vise grips with one hand smack the side of the jaws with a hammer driving them and the filter base in a counter clockwise direction. If you rip all the housing away without it unscrewing, and there is space between the base and the gasket seat (like if there are two gaskets) then I would break a fine toothed hacksaw blade in 1/2 and holding a piece in your hand carefully saw thru the gasket(s). Saw only a 1/4" deep and work around the filter base being careful not to damage the gasket seat. If that doesn't work, consider buying a new engine and/or firing the gorilla that tightened it!

Old 12-29-2014, 12:56 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Tyler,
Hmmmm.. I've done a lot of work with my son under the truck.
Uhhh... When he tells me it just won't come off I always go under there
and confirm he's going the right direction. Invariably he's cranking on it the wrong direction - then it's a bear to get off.

We put sandpaper & a garage rag between the filter & the wrench to get a good grip.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 12-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Just don't get it within feet of anything you ever want to paint since it is silicone based. The filter boss threaded stem is only about 1.25" long so just stay above that if driving anything thru the filter. Worse a bar will do is tear the filter housing in two. If that happens you have a seriously stuck filter! If it does, then stick one jaw of a pair of vise grips inside the filter and one outside on the remaining stub. Clamp down tightly, and while supporting the vise grips with one hand smack the side of the jaws with a hammer driving them and the filter base in a counter clockwise direction. If you rip all the housing away without it unscrewing, and there is space between the base and the gasket seat (like if there are two gaskets) then I would break a fine toothed hacksaw blade in 1/2 and holding a piece in your hand carefully saw thru the gasket(s). Saw only a 1/4" deep and work around the filter base being careful not to damage the gasket seat. If that doesn't work, consider buying a new engine and/or firing the gorilla that tightened it!
The gorilla is my son. I can't fire him. I've tried but he keeps coming back!

Old 12-29-2014, 02:35 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tyler S
The gorilla is my son. I can't fire him. I've tried but he keeps coming back!
Don't ya just hate when that happens!?!?

Old 12-29-2014, 02:38 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow if you have room for a strap wrench and it wont come off it either had no oil on the gasket at install and / or is on waaay to tight.
I only install filters hand tight, snugged up after the gasket hits the block.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by drptop70ss
Wow if you have room for a strap wrench and it wont come off it either had no oil on the gasket at install and / or is on waaay to tight. I only install filters hand tight, snugged up after the gasket hits the block.
Haha! Yeah NOW I know that!

Old 12-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by drptop70ss
Wow if you have room for a strap wrench and it wont come off it either had no oil on the gasket at install and / or is on waaay to tight. I only install filters hand tight, snugged up after the gasket hits the block.
This all clearly proves the premise that "experience is something you get right after you need it!"

Old 12-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Tyler, Hmmmm.. I've done a lot of work with my son under the truck. Uhhh... When he tells me it just won't come off I always go under there and confirm he's going the right direction. Invariably he's cranking on it the wrong direction - then it's a bear to get off. We put sandpaper & a garage rag between the filter & the wrench to get a good grip. Good luck over there. Ben in Austin 1950 F1
I haven't been home to check that yet, but I've asked him that a hundred times in the last two days. For the same reason you said above

Old 12-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Reefed down oil filters are highly annoying. And oil drain plugs. Right up there with passengers who get in and BAM! slam the door shut just as hard as they can, usually accompanied by "they don't build 'em like that anymore" or "I sure like these old trucks.."

No jury would convict, would they?

About a 1/4 turn hand tight is all they need. They get quite a bit tighter by the time it needs replacement for some reason.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:14 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Reefed down oil filters are highly annoying. And oil drain plugs. Right up there with passengers who get in and BAM! slam the door shut as hard as they can "I sure like these old trucks.." No jury would convict, would they?

About a 1/4 turn hand tight is all they need. They get quite a but tighter by the time it needs replacement for some reason.
Gasket swells from heat and oil. Designed that way.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:49 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Yep. They should be removable by hand too (barely) at least.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Done! Took me about 5 minutes. Dang that kid!!

Name:  image-2391844454.jpg
Views: 1594
Size:  452.0 KB

Old 12-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Put a long screw driver through it and it torqued right off. I'm not sure what all the drama was about. The "boy" just finished his 2nd varsity Bball game of the day and had a double-double, so at least he won't be feeling bad about himself that his old man got it off in 5 mins!

Thanks for all your help on this, guys!! Tyler

Old 12-30-2014, 01:58 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Looks like dry gasket rolled up causing leak?

Old 12-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by AXracer
Looks like dry gasket rolled up causing leak?
That's what caused the initial leak. There was another leak at the same time from the oil pressure sender but my son kept thinking it was from the filter, so he kept tightening and tightening. THENNNNNNN he figured out it was from the sender. But to tighten the sender he had to take off the filter. But as we've seen, it would not come off easily. Anyway we finally got it off, tightened the sender, replaced the filter and now we are moving on to the next problem...hot engine and possibly dragging brakes. WOOO Hooo!!

Quick Reply: Stuck Oil filter removal