Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Finally Happened!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Coastie6
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally Happened!

Well, I love my v10 F-250. I've dealt with the exhaust stud problem and now today my #7 cylinder spit a plug! I've maintained this truck meticulously and I had the plugs changed at the Ford dealership about 2-years ago. I got a quote today from the local Ford dealer's service department and they are saying $400-$500 for the Timesert repair and COP. I'm going to do it and have all the plugs replaced again. The cost beats the hell out of the cost of a replacement truck. But now I'll never have the same trust in the old girl as I have. Just venting. Very disappointed in my favorite Ford truck today.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
The quote is about standard across the industry for that sort of repair---if it includes a plug and COP its pretty much a screamin' deal IMHO.

You don't mention your F250's year or mileage which would be interesting if nothing else.

Who did the plug replacement and how long ago mileage-wise?

Old 12-28-2014, 07:03 AM
Coastie6
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by JWA
The quote is about standard across the industry for that sort of repair---if it includes a plug and COP its pretty much a screamin' deal IMHO.

You don't mention your F250's year or mileage which would be interesting if nothing else.

Who did the plug replacement and how long ago mileage-wise?
It's a 2001.

The truck is not my everyday driver, just use it on weekends, runs to the lumber yard, hunting & fishing and to tow a 7,200 GVW travel trailer locally 4-6 times a year. So I don't put on much milage. Put it this way, I bought it in August 2010 with 107,000 and it now has just about 127,000 miles on it, so I'm averaging about 5,000 miles a year.

The plugs were changed by a dealership in the city where I work (about an hour away) in March 2012 at 114,000 miles. So I got about 2 1/2 years and 13,000 miles on that plug change. Seems to me that this should not have occurred, that was the point of me having the dealership's "experienced" mechanics do the plug change! The dealer that quoted the Timesert repair is the local dealership where I live, not the one that changed the plugs.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:40 AM
thx997303
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, but highly doubt most shops or dealerships take the time to torque the plugs.

They're paid on book time. Whatever the booked time for the job is, that's how they're paid. If the book says 3 hours, they get paid for that 3 hours. If they take 1.5 hours, they can take on more work, and still get paid the 3.

They're constantly racing the clock, and taking the extra time to throw a torque wrench on the plugs is likely not high on their priority list.

At least, that's how it worked when I worked at a local Ford dealership back in 05, and is how it worked in every automotive shop I worked at before and after, up to 2012 when I started a different path.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:32 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
In my travels that take me close to for-hire and stealership mechanics very rarely have I heard any of them say they torque spark plugs. While that might not be too strange to encounter in an all brands shop hearing from an actual Ford stealership is kinda shocking.

Too many try describing their practices "well just pull 'em tight but not too tight....." which is pretty much meaningless. The huge advantage of a torque wrench is when used we're all speaking from the same POV, results can be duplicated any anyone looking to follow the best practice.

I wouldn't think properly installed plugs would blow out even if the heads aren't PI. OTOH any plug incorrectly installed could experience this sad condition.

Not sure what recourse you'd have with the offending stealership but before shelling out that money I'd check with them. Good record keeping with original receipts might go a long way towards this being made right for you.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:37 AM
Coastie6
Cross-Country
Agreed. Thought using the dealership would yield better results as they are supposed to know these vehicles and all the related TSB on them.

Sad part is I'm actually a certified marine mechanic. I went to school not to work in the field, but because I was sick and tired of "mechanics" screwing up my boat! Unfortunately I had very intensive chemo therapy and it left me with severe neuropathy in my hands. I have almost no feeling in them so tasks requiring hand dextarity are out. I've tried and it always turns into a "curse fest" usually resulting from me dropping something where it would do the most damage and cost lots more to fix than the original job would have cost to have done. Sucks, but it's what I'm stuck with and it beats the alternative. Trust me, I'd be changing my own plugs and doing the Timesert myself otherwise. So I have to deal with mechanics and just hope that this dealership is better than the last.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:55 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Coastie6
Agreed. Thought using the dealership would yield better results as they are supposed to know these vehicles and all the related TSB on them.

Sad part is I'm actually a certified marine mechanic. I went to school not to work in the field, but because I was sick and tired of "mechanics" screwing up my boat! Unfortunately I had very intensive chemo therapy and it left me with severe neuropathy in my hands. I have almost no feeling in them so tasks requiring hand dextarity are out. I've tried and it always turns into a "curse fest" usually resulting from me dropping something where it would do the most damage and cost lots more to fix than the original job would have cost to have done. Sucks, but it's what I'm stuck with and it beats the alternative. Trust me, I'd be changing my own plugs and doing the Timesert myself otherwise. So I have to deal with mechanics and just hope that this dealership is better than the last.
To chase a rabbit for a second, I am very sorry to hear about your suffering. I would imagine that I can speak for most; that would be a hearbreaking and discouraging life change to deal with. You sound like you make the best of it, which is both admirable and mature; you can't change the wind, but you can adjust your sails. I admire your outlook and determination.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hodge5
To chase a rabbit for a second, I am very sorry to hear about your suffering. I would imagine that I can speak for most; that would be a hearbreaking and discouraging life change to deal with. You sound like you make the best of it, which is both admirable and mature; you can't change the wind, but you can adjust your sails. I admire your outlook and determination.
You could still teach! Or management.

I use my hands so much that it's a conscious fear of mine- to lose a finger or lose some hand function. God bless you Bro.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:29 AM
ashleyroachclip
Elder User
Just a quick question, what is the torque supposed to be for these plugs in the 99 v10.
I bought mine last year, with no service history, 131.000 miles.
I have put 28.000 on it in a year, and would like to change the plugs, or at least check them .

Old 12-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Coastie6
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Im50fast
You could still teach! Or management.

I use my hands so much that it's a conscious fear of mine- to lose a finger or lose some hand function. God bless you Bro.
Thanks guys, it's all good. No worries. I never did wrench for a living. Just went to school so I could work on my own stuff and help out friends. I've had a long career in management.

As an update, I ended up at an independent shop that was recommended by a friend. His dad has some fleet vehicles and this shop has always done quality work for him. I did some research on the local Ford dealership and it wasn't flattering. Additionally, when I called them back to try to schedule something the $400-$500 verbal estimate I'd gotten Saturday became $950-$1,050 to do the Timesert on #7, new COP, 9 new plugs in other cylinders. The independent shop is doing it for $550 and they are going to do my fuel filter too because it's due. And yes, they do the Timesert repair. All the other independents in the area never heard of it and only did the Helicoil repair. Feel a whole lot better about my truck being at this shop.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:22 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ashleyroachclip
Just a quick question, what is the torque supposed to be for these plugs in the 99 v10.
I bought mine last year, with no service history, 131.000 miles.
I have put 28.000 on it in a year, and would like to change the plugs, or at least check them .
Factory spec should be 7-14 ft/lbs----hilarious to me for some reason. I personally use nickel-based anti-seize and draw Motorcraft plugs up to about 22 ft/lbs and no more. I keep one new torque wrench specifically for these plugs so have high confidence my final torque is accurate but its also equal across all plugs.

IMHO if you'll be checking the plugs its not that much more to just change them. If you go that route read up on removing difficult plugs because its possible they've never been changed and could be a bit of a task. Not horrible mind you but better to go in fully armed with good info.

Coastie your experience with the stealership shop isn't too shocking---sadly even though they're factory franchises it almost never follows the techs or mechanics are rarely if ever trained through the factory service function. The only real difference between any brand of dealership is the uniform.

Independent shops with longevity and good reputations work to achieve and maintain that, typically across all vehicle brands. Often times you'll find the better trained and knowledgeable guys in those shops, not so much the stealership.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:13 AM
ashleyroachclip
Elder User
JWA, thank you.
I have read until my eyes bleed, here as well as other places, and all I was getting was Newton meter torque values.
I am already armed with krol oil , I use it for many other applications already, for those plugs that may be difficult.

I do appreciate members here that have something constructive to say, and aren't here to achieve the highest post count.

It unfortunately happens with all of the hobbyists forums, turns them into a Facebook fest instead .

Thanks again .

I will say, that my truck, bought from a used car dealer, and with no service records, has had very good care taken over the at that time 131.000 miles.
The front end , all ball joints , tie rod ends were replaced , has a quality leveling kit installed properly, in as no mismatched hardware, quality tires and shocks.
With that the fluids were also clean and free of debris, and had a new clutch, complete as in mc slave all replaced with ford parts, not aftermarket.

I have always had excellent service out of the Ford's I have owned.
I also have never had the problems others have had with a particular model.
The truck I sold,to buy my super duty, was a ranger .
I put 428.000 miles on it in 10 years.
I drive them and they last.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:14 PM
the cleaner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have done all my own maintenance on my 08 V10 and my wrist has a built in torque setting

Old 12-31-2014, 07:45 PM
Coastie6
Cross-Country
Update: My girl is back in the driveway! Mechanic's report; Timesert #7 cylinder, #7 COP replaced plug replaced both with Motorcraft OE part. Found #6 to be damaged with only one thread showing recommended additional Timesert (approved +$150 to original estimate). Inspected threads in head and replaced the other 8 plugs with Motorcraft OE plugs used proper anti-seize with install (reported while other plugs were found to be replaced "dry" all other cylinders had good threads). Replaced fuel filter Motorcraft OE filter. $700 plus taxes. I feel good about the shop, their work and the price.

Thanks for the shoulder guys. I was pretty ripped about my favorite Ford truck spitting a plug. All seems well.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2015, 06:59 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ashleyroachclip
JWA, thank you.
I have read until my eyes bleed, here as well as other places,
We're here to help---post count takes care of itself if we all follow that simple rule.

Originally Posted by the cleaner
I have done all my own maintenance on my 08 V10 and my wrist has a built in torque setting
I know that's said somewhat is jest but it seems to me a good way to cause all sorts of mayhem. "Trust......but verify......" is a comment Henry Kissinger once said---seems to fit here?!?!

Originally Posted by Coastie6
Update: My girl is back in the driveway! $700 plus taxes. I feel good about the shop, their work and the price.

Thanks for the shoulder guys. I was pretty ripped about my favorite Ford truck spitting a plug. All seems well.

Happy New Year!
For what they did that's a very fair price--stealership would have been test fitting your wallet for a new motor!

Quick Reply: Finally Happened!