6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 f250 powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this bent radiator problem also appear in the gasoline versions?

Old 01-18-2015, 09:01 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Army RET
Good question, I am also curious.
Unfortunately, even if it is the same radiator, the diesel cooling system is different, and the truck is heavier, so there is more than 1 difference to blame the problem on.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:52 PM
DrgnGal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
Lots of trucks do not have that issue, and some of the 2011+ also have a problem with radiators.
My 2008 never had an issue, and I have another 2008 which has 277,000 which I assume is the original, since it only has single o-rings on the fittings.

Chances are if your going through radiators that fast, something else is going on.
Any ideas what it could be. Everytime we replace it, we replace everything as required by the TSB's. The last 2 times it went out we drove up a mountain to go snowboarding, the 3 times before we towed a 3500lb boat. I don't feel that these are extreme hauls. Got this truck for the horses and I use my Tahoe Hybrid to tow them. Doesn't make any sense. Help

Old 01-22-2015, 04:59 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Old 01-22-2015, 11:00 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by senix
Get a aftermarket one from Mishimoto.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: Mishimoto

Those ones were also cracking, apparently from impact or flex.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Mishimoto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by DrgnGal
DO NOT BUY THIS TRUCK!!! 2008-2010 F250 and F350's have multiple failures of the radiator. Ford knows this. There are TSB's about it. Replacing my 5th radiator in 2 1/2 years. Can't tow a 23' boat, can't even drive up the mountain.
Lots of trucks do not have that issue, and some of the 2011+ also have a problem with radiators.
My 2008 never had an issue, and I have another 2008 which has 277,000 which I assume is the original, since it only has single o-rings on the fittings.

Chances are if your going through radiators that fast, something else is going on.
Any ideas what it could be. Everytime we replace it, we replace everything as required by the TSB's. The last 2 times it went out we drove up a mountain to go snowboarding, the 3 times before we towed a 3500lb boat. I don't feel that these are extreme hauls. Got this truck for the horses and I use my Tahoe Hybrid to tow them. Doesn't make any sense. Help
Get a aftermarket one from Mishimoto.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: Mishimoto
Those ones were also cracking, apparently from impact or flex.
Figured we would chime in here to provide some insight into the 6.4L radiator issues. As mentioned above, 6.4L radiator failure has become a big topic of concern. Many truck owners have experienced multiple failures in a very short period of time. A high percentage of failures have been attributed to chassis flex making a direct impact on the radiator support and the radiator itself. When the chassis twists, this results in movement of the radiator which can cause a separation of the radiator core from the end tanks.

We designed an aluminum radiator which has proven to be an effective replacement for a high majority of our customers. That being said, we still have a small sample of customers who are continuing to experience failures even after switching to the Mishimoto unit. We are working on several different prototype designs which work to better isolate the radiator from the core support which should reduce the impact of chassis flex. Our prototype units have been installed in test vehicles and we are evaluating the success. Once we get a bit closer to a final design or conclusion regarding our tests, we will certainly update the forum.

Feel free to follow-up with any questions about the 6.4L radiator!

Thanks
-John

Great question. The issue does not seem nearly as prevalent in the gasoline version of this truck.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:36 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I might be talking to myself here, but again, why not cross brace the front end of the truck?
Giant "X" rod with mounts bolted on.
Seems like it would take care of the problem regardless of the actual issue.
And cheap and easy to do.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:18 PM
DrgnGal
New User
I might be talking to myself here, but again, why not cross brace the front end of the truck?
There is a cross bar of some sort on the front underside of the truck. I will take a picture of the underside.

I don't know how to make it part of my profile, but this is the specs of the truck...

2008 F250 Diesel Super Duty Crew Cab
6" lift tires are 20/37.
Picking up the truck today. I will let everyone know the results of the new radiator.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:09 PM
senix
Super Moderator
some though of just removing one side of the mount.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:10 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
There is a cross bar of some sort on the front underside of the truck. I will take a picture of the underside.

I don't know how to make it part of my profile, but this is the specs of the truck...

2008 F250 Diesel Super Duty Crew Cab
6" lift tires are 20/37.
Picking up the truck today. I will let everyone know the results of the new radiator.
I'm talking looking straight at it from the front, "X".
Like from roughly the points at which the radiator mounts.
That should get rid of any flex that is killing the radiator.

But install the bars behind the radiator where theres lots of room

Old 01-24-2015, 06:45 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I see. An x would help it to remain ridged. You could also use some cable wire.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:22 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I believe some people don't know about flexing the frame, or what happens to cause the frame to flex until it's too late. The road I live on has a steep hill right at the beginning as you turn on it. So the right tire starts to raise at a considerable rate before the front starts to go up. I broke 3 automatic transmission housings in a GMC service truck I had years ago before I realized what was causing the problem. I have replaced the radiator in my 08 a few months ago. But, since the tranny problem in the GMC, I have learned to swing wide when making the turn. But, I do find myself in certain situations with my service truck that can cause the frame to twist. So, with that in mind as being a possible cause for radiator failure, I will look for those situations and avoid them when possible.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:08 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
I see. An x would help it to remain ridged. You could also use some cable wire.
I was thinking, maybe if threaded rod was used, maybe 4 mounting brackets could be made, and the rods could poke through the plastic shroud and make installation simple and easy.
With cable, it might be trickier.
Tightening up the front end, would limit the amount of front end flex around the radiator.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just an uneducated guess here but if this force flexes the frame it'd surely buckle that X.

Another uneducated question ... what about allowing the radiator to somewhat free float, maybe sandwiched with some soft flexible stuff so it don't roll around?

Old 01-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Mishimoto
Former Vendor
I'm talking looking straight at it from the front, "X".
Like from roughly the points at which the radiator mounts.
That should get rid of any flex that is killing the radiator.

But install the bars behind the radiator where theres lots of room
Interesting idea, thanks for the input. Creating a more rigid radiator support system would certainly work to prevent flex.

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
I believe some people don't know about flexing the frame, or what happens to cause the frame to flex until it's too late. The road I live on has a steep hill right at the beginning as you turn on it. So the right tire starts to raise at a considerable rate before the front starts to go up. I broke 3 automatic transmission housings in a GMC service truck I had years ago before I realized what was causing the problem. I have replaced the radiator in my 08 a few months ago. But, since the tranny problem in the GMC, I have learned to swing wide when making the turn. But, I do find myself in certain situations with my service truck that can cause the frame to twist. So, with that in mind as being a possible cause for radiator failure, I will look for those situations and avoid them when possible.
Thanks for chiming in! Yes, it seems as though driving conditions/styles are also playing a role in the frequency of radiator failures. Avoiding those types of situations will certainly help reduce the impact of flex. It is unfortunate that this problem has become so serious and widespread that truck owners are forced to modify the way they drive to avoid radiator concerns. Our hope is that our new prototype will reduce flex transfer and allow you to use your truck for what it was designed to do.

Thanks!

Just an uneducated guess here but if this force flexes the frame it'd surely buckle that X.

Another uneducated question ... what about allowing the radiator to somewhat free float, maybe sandwiched with some soft flexible stuff so it don't roll around?
Buckling the support system is certainly a possibility. The idea you mention is similar to what our team is working on. We are hoping to further isolate the radiator from the support. This will allow the support/chassis to flex without transferring directly to the radiator. So far our testing has been very positive. We should have some more information in the coming weeks.

Thanks
-John

Quick Reply: 2008 f250 powerstroke