6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Driving 6.0L Excursion to Minneapolis--Advice for Cold Starts?

Old 12-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Driving 6.0L Excursion to Minneapolis--Advice for Cold Starts?

Guys/gals, I need some very cold weather starting advice.

My 2005 Excursion 6.0L (177K miles) starts fine here in Tulsa down to 20F. But...I'm going to spend a week working out of a hotel with no plug-ins available in Minneapolis the first full week of January. Forecast lows will be down to -5F.

I've heard there are some additives to prevent gelling and/or help with cold starting. I'll probably drive the truck from Tulsa straight through to Minneapolis using up the Oklahoma fuel completely before refilling in southern Minnesota.

Here are a few facts about 'Midas':

Oil: Mobil Delvac1 Synthetic 5w-40.
Fuel: I'm sure it is #2 right now. No additives yet.
Fuel pressure: Don't know, but I have 'blue spring'
Fuel Filters: I'll change them this coming week.
Batteries: Good shape, one year old Interstate batteries.
Block heater: I have one, but doubt I'll be able to use it.
Cooling System: Clean, stock Motorcraft T-stat, coolant filter loop.

I'd appreciate any sage advice on preparations I should take or engine parameters to check in advance.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,373 Likes on 2,076 Posts
Turn key to ON, wait for glow plug light to go out, start truck. No need to plug in, just let the truck warm up. These trucks do not gel fuel like the old days unless you have water in the tank. All I do is slip a piece of cardboard in between the radiator and inter-cooler to block some the cold weather unless you are towing. I never run any tunes in cold weather unless I am warmed up and driving for 6 hours straight. Then I revert back to stock since my tunes have no cold engine strategy.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Turn key to ON, wait for glow plug light to go out, start truck. No need to plug in, just let the truck warm up. These trucks do not gel fuel like the old days unless you have water in the tank. All I do is slip a piece of cardboard in between the radiator and inter-cooler to block some the cold weather unless you are towing. I never run any tunes in cold weather unless I am warmed up and driving for 6 hours straight. Then I revert back to stock since my tunes have no cold engine strategy.
Thanks. I do have the "8K Tune" programmed in. I'll revert to factory tune before leaving

Old 12-27-2014, 10:40 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
diesel Kleen in the grey bottle says with anti gel would be wise, especially if your not using up the southern fuel. Ussually a long cord will get from a motel room to the truck if you want to plug in, sneak it under the door. Get a lower unit if you can, close to the ex.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:59 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Power Service White Bottle for Anti-Gel

Below zero cycle the GP twice.

Josh

Old 12-28-2014, 11:52 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Since you are driving straight through, add the anti gel when you fill for the trip.

I would refill in Iowa. The fuel should be treated to lower temps there. Which will ease the mind.

Remember, high volume stations.

Oh, and by the way. Find some window washer fluid that is good to well below zero!!! If the tank is full now, drain it and put in the good stuff. Nothing worse than spraying your wind shield with water at -5*f.

Keep a few snacks, a blanket, gloves, and the likes in the truck for the trip. I always pack road flares, just in case.

And Josh is correct, white bottle for anti gel.

If you haven't used 4x4 lately, might want to exercise it before the trip.

Have a safe trip!

Old 12-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
You bring up a good point about washer fluid, I switch to a de-icer in Winter, the regular stuff will freeze right on the windshield.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:48 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Thanks for good advice everyone. So far, I've:

- Had fuel filter filters changed. (I used to do this job myself, but I'm willing to pay someone younger to have diesel fuel run into their armpit!)
- Changed SCT tune from "8K Tow" to Stock.
- Bought and put in 14 oz of PowerService White anti-gel additive along with a full tank.
- Called the hotel and found that they do have a few plug-ins I might be able to use. I've loaded my 100' heavy duty extension cord.
- Fixed the rear auxiliary heater.
- Rotated tires and set them all to 65 psig.

I still need to find some of the "Rain-X De-Icer" windshield washer fluid (if possible here). I've got "Rain-X 2in1 AllSeason" claimed to be liquid to -20F, but that is probably not good enough

I wish I'd installed a Mishimoto 200F t-stat. My engine runs 182 - 184F in 30F ambient. I may make a piece of cardboard to block off some of the radiator.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:23 PM
LWW
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can cycle the glow plugs several times before starting your truck. I used this method in Tahoe last week and it helped with the initial startup.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:27 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Sounds good I use the cardboard right down the center in front of the radiator, might be 18 inches wide. Guys in Alaska use a front cover.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:01 AM
garmford
Senior User
When you get to the hotel take a look at the light poles in the parking lot. Once in a while there a utility outlet at the bottom of the pole.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:18 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Less worry, more enjoying your trip. Seriously.

I live where you are going and there is absolutely nothing to fret about. You don't need to cycle the key more than once. The truck will start just fine. It isn't a 7.3....

Turn the key to on, when the WTS light turns off, crank it over until it starts. Easy as that.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:22 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Oh and IMO there is no need to worry about changing tunes. I run the SRL+ all year. It doesn't smoke in the winter like it does in the summer.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:36 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
I revert back to stock because I have no cold engine strategy. If you get along with what ever you use I see no problem but in extreme cold I see no purpose of added HP.... but that is my thinking only. Today is freezing rain and the roads are all ice, it looks like a junk yard outside my house right now..... I used the road berm this morning but some people are not that smart.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 AM
LWW
Elder User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
it looks like a junk yard outside my house right now..... I used the road berm this morning but some people are not that smart.
Pics or it never happened!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving 6.0L Excursion to Minneapolis--Advice for Cold Starts?