6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Who came from a 7.3 - would you do it again?

Old 12-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Josh is referring to the CPS sensor itself, I always kept a spare in the glove box for such an occasion.
Precisely. The latest revision wasn't until early 2007.

Before that the CPS was $100+ and always left an owner stranded unexpectedly.

I carried a spare in my 99 as well and at work kept an inventory of them for stranded employees.

Josh

Old 12-29-2014, 08:59 AM
cabloom300
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cps issue was far less of an issue than everyone said it was. If so il take 1 bolt out, 25$, and 5 mins to fix it. Not to bad compared to the list of common failures with the 6.0. I would certainly buy a 6.0 but I would put the 2k into it right away before I would run it.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by cabloom300
The cps issue was far less of an issue than everyone said it was. If so il take 1 bolt out, 25$, and 5 mins to fix it. Not to bad compared to the list of common failures with the 6.0. I would certainly buy a 6.0 but I would put the 2k into it right away before I would run it.
Most CPS issues resulted in $100+ CPS sensor, $150 tow bill and $120 shop rate.

Very few guys knew to keep a spare and a 10mm socket to change it.

Josh

Old 12-29-2014, 12:00 PM
ravens fan
Senior User
i completely agree with everything cabloom300 said.

Also i think a lot of it comes back to personal experience. I can't blame someone who tells me a 6.0 is junk if they have had nothing but problems with it or the person who says they are the best if they haven't had problems. I have always kept an open mind on them and eventually plan to own a 6.0. I kept that open mind when my dad got his and it was a very reliable good running truck for the first 10,000 miles he had it then came out of nowhere an HPOP failure. In the back of my head thinking he should of got a 7.3. But after hours of labor from my brother who luckily was willing to take on the job the truck is back on the road and hopefully good for the long haul, fingers crossed lol

Old 12-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NOPE

Coming from experience as a previous 7.3 owner;

I owned the very first direct injection powerstroke diesel to land in my area.
It came out in '94.5 and only with a manual trans.
It was clack-clack noisy, an engine you'd expect in a bulldozer, power delivery was boring, turning radius sucked, Heavy Truck-like suspension feel, had to get out of the truck and manually turn the 4x hubs when needed.
These are traits not found in the 6.0.

I sold it with just under 36k miles due to the extensive list of issues ranging from running rough, 2 rear main seals, 2 clutches, pressure plate, all new brakes, 4 rotors, all 4 suspension springs, clock spring, throttle pedal (rheostat), 2 drag links, and 16 new injectors. (yes, the truck was worked)
Couldn't afford having to pay the shop on my own after the warranty expired.

To date my 6.0 warranty claims are this:
1. Coolant Cap

that's it.

This 6.0 Truck is head and shoulders above my previous diesel. Absolutely NO regrets. Much more of a refined trucking experience and creature comforts.
Wouldn't even entertain the thought of another 7.3 it's just too primitive comparing the two.
However I still love the body style. Very "ol school"

Old 12-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,373 Likes on 2,076 Posts

Nothing like driving down the road and have the truck literally shut off in traffic, I miss that part

Old 12-29-2014, 01:34 PM
cabloom300
Elder User
Just for fun, we should compare common problems
7.3 - cps, uvch,

6.0 - dummy plugs, stand pipes, stc fitting, early hpop's, oil cooler, ficm, stiction and other various injector problems. Pump up the power and you have head stud/gasket issues, and head warping problems.

Sure the 7.3 can have some problems but comparing the 2 stock for stock they don't have the problems the 6.0 did. And when they do have problems the parts are a lot cheaper and easier to fix. Now, fix the weak 6.0 problems and I think almost everyone here would rather own a 6.0 then a 7.3 but it's not cheap to do that either.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:33 PM
GoCamping
Elder User
Well I'm happy that my first thread in the 6.0 forum has gone on for a little while

Originally Posted by BPofMD
...Before you go put $ down on a used (what else is there) 6.0, go buy a ScanGauge II (or equiv) first. ...
Ready to go. I have an SG2 in my current truck and use it to watch ICP/IPR/voltage etc. Found the X Gauge commands in the tech section and will program it before I look at one. I'm not ready to buy just yet but I think I'll go find whatever is around and plug it in for a test drive. Maybe I'll find something interesting for ya'll to talk about

...My conclusion. If you get a 6.0. Do all the work right away and don't worry about it again. If not your going to have problems one by one. ... Also I forgot to mention the 5r is far better than the 4r
This is the way I'm leaning. Just get it all done when I find a truck. And as great as the 7.3 is for maintenance the 4r100 failures do give me something to think about. I've got a larger trans cooler and an external trans filter and do Blackstone on it regularly. No issues so far, but it would be nice to go to the 5R and get another gear and have an even bigger cooler.

Originally Posted by brown89ford
My brothers joined my father in the this business for a while, and I had heard nothing but complaints about transmission issues with the 7.3s as the both opted to use 7.3s.

I think knowledge on this forum adds to increasing the value and benefit of the 6.0 vs the 7.3.

Honestly, these trucks aren't hard to work on and imho parts are plentiful and cheap to make them last.
Tranny issues. Yup I hope to avoid that stuff - trying to take good care of mine but know it as the "weak link." And I agree with you the major reason I'm even considering the 6.0 is because of the strength of this forum. Reading the tech section really demystified it for me. Most issues are fairly easy to catch before they become a real problem. And I would think that the 6.0 is going to be known as easy to work on vs the newer Ford engines as they get longer into the used market (just my opinion, nothing to back that up...)

Originally Posted by Benchwrench
NOPE

This 6.0 Truck is head and shoulders above my previous diesel. Absolutely NO regrets. Much more of a refined trucking experience and creature comforts.
Wouldn't even entertain the thought of another 7.3 it's just too primitive comparing the two.
However I still love the body style. Very "ol school"
HA ha diggin' that. I do still like the body style. The 99-07 is getting to be a "classic" to me like the OBS Super Duties. If I could buy today I'd look at this one. Really like the white two-tone.

2006 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat Brandon Reeves Auto World North Carolina Dealer

Old 12-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
7.3 - cps, uvch,

6.0 - dummy plugs, stand pipes, stc fitting, early hpop's, oil cooler, ficm, stiction and other various injector problems. Pump up the power and you have head stud/gasket issues, and head warping problems.

Mine is an 03 which never had the problems you described. I did studs/heads and by-passed the EGR cooler because I am a 70's child...

Now my 7.3 on the other hand.... where do I start? It was all the little things on a daily basis that peeved me off. I got home from work and the stupid thing was puking coolant from the water pump. No biggie I guess, just change it out. At that time you couldn't find a water pump for a 7.3L anywhere this side of the Mississippi and my dealer had none in the net work... you just wanted to light a match and walk away.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Bullitt390

7.3 - cps, uvch,

Sure the 7.3 can have some problems but comparing the 2 stock for stock they don't have the problems the 6.0 did. And when they do have problems the parts are a lot cheaper and easier to fix. Now, fix the weak 6.0 problems and I think almost everyone here would rather own a 6.0 then a 7.3 but it's not cheap to do that either.
7.3:

CPS
injection oil fittings
Wiring harness
Injector connector
Valve cover gaskets
Oil cooler
Fuel bowl
Glow plug relay
Glow plugs
Intake heater relay
Oil pumps
Oil pump/ front cover seal
Turbo drain
Turbo
Y-pipe casting
Transmission
Water pumps
Serpentine belt that goes around the upper radiator hose
Throttle pedal

I could keep going. I have had to repair far more 7.3s than 6.0s

Josh

Old 12-29-2014, 06:41 PM
cabloom300
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390

7.3:

CPS
injection oil fittings
Wiring harness
Injector connector
Valve cover gaskets
Oil cooler
Fuel bowl
Glow plug relay
Glow plugs
Intake heater relay
Oil pumps
Oil pump/ front cover seal
Turbo drain
Turbo
Y-pipe casting
Transmission
Water pumps
Serpentine belt that goes around the upper radiator hose
Throttle pedal

I could keep going. I have had to repair far more 7.3s than 6.0s

Josh
Lol you have to be joking.
42 pin connector sometime chafes on the valve cover. The fuse for the fuel bowl sometimes shorts out and the up pipes do start to leaking after 175k which causes noise and a couple pounds of boost. The rest are bogus. Sure any of the things you named above can fail but are not even close to becoming a common failure point with the 7.3. Do some research before you name every single part that could possibly fail on the truck. I can guarantee one thing, stock for stock throughout the life of the truck, the 7.3 will have far less problems than the 6.0 and be much cheaper to fix.

Getting back to the post that started, if you are prepared to spend some money up front I would go with the 6.0 all day and drive it like you stole it.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:42 PM
ravens fan
Senior User
BUILT390 it's pretty clear that you are uneducated on the 7.3 a simple google search or ford shop tech will tell you a much different story. Like a said earlier i don't know why people can't admit they both are good motors in their own right, one just needs some more money of the bat.

I also would like to add one interesting fact that some people aren't aware of, is that international no longer makes Powerstrokes and there is a reason for that

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...vistar-diesels

Old 12-29-2014, 07:12 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't say that Bullitt is uneducated, that's ridiculous. He is just stating the repetitive problems that he's seen and fixed. I don't remember him saying that the 7.3 was a POS, just that it had its own issues.

A couple 7.3 problems I have experienced were CPS, vacuum pump shaft breaking, and injection pump relay failures, and tranny problems.

My only 6.0 problems were a plugged oil cooler, and a bad EGR valve.

I don't think it really matters what you get, at some point they will all fail in some way.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
We could argue each engines weakness, but the original poster asked from those of us who owned each engine. I gave an honest opinion from my experience.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:01 PM
ravens fan
Senior User
I stated uneducated in the 7.3 because those things are very rare to fail it is simply a fact that the 6.0 s had more issues than the 7.3s and big things went as well that's not to say that the 6.0 can't be a good engine at all just that most of them need a little work. I know some people had great luck with them. In my link in the last post you see that ford took navistar to court because of the billions of dollars spent on 6.0 failures like I said before I hope to own one someday but it will be bullet proofed because I've seen too many 6.0s fail for no reason whatsoever

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who came from a 7.3 - would you do it again?