6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Sync Services?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:26 AM
jh225
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync Services?

OK, so someone please clue me in.............

New truck has NAV. My past SD's didn't.

I was under the impression that NAV was good for life (and you can update the maps) and that is also what the sales dude said.

So I am looking for a store, punch in info, voice tells me where to go along with on screen map.

I went to the Sync webpage on my home PC and something didn't seem right so I call up.

Me: I thought NAV was good for life?
Sync: It is
Me: But directions are not?
Sync: No
Me: What are you talking about?
Sync: Turn by turn directions are only good for 1 year.
Me: Wait, so directions only good for 1 yr, why?
Sync: They are part of Sync Services
Me: WTF is the difference?
Sync: Again, Sync Services is a subscription.
Me: Great explanation, Click....

Soooooooooo, am I to understand that after the 1 yr of "Sync Services", my visual NAV screen will still work, but I will not hear a voice telling me where to turn? (like a normal GPS)

Who is talking to me in my truck, NAV or Sync Services?

Old 12-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
Sync allows you to call services to look up a location or address and then it sends it to the GPS to guide you in. Without Sync services you will just go to the GPS and manually plug in the address you want and it will still guide you to the destination.

Sync services also lets you plug the location in online or on your phone to send to your truck GPS, just those functions will no longer work but as said before your GPS should still work normally.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:52 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Hi jh225,

The map-based navigation and SYNC Services do work together, but they're two different features. SYNC Services is an audible feature that is subscription-based. It uses your phone to download the requested directions and sends it to SYNC. It also allows people that don't have navigation get directions when they need it. Here is a link for what you get with SYNC Services:

Ford SYNC with MyFord Touch SYNC Services and Features | MyFord Touch | Ford.com

The built-in navigation is free for the lifetime of your vehicle. Please note, this does not include map updates. Should you feel the need to update the maps, a new SD card or DVD (depending on your system) can be purchased via our map provider, HERE, at HERE navigation - Update your sat nav with the latest HERE maps..

I hope that helps answer your question, but if not, let me know and I'll explain further.

Rebecca

Old 12-19-2014, 12:59 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sync Services is like GM Onstar for directions..

you call them (push onstar button on GM), they figure out where u want to go, then schedule to send the route instructions to your vehicle nav.

you can also look up a destination on your computer at home, and schedule it to be sent to your vehicle.

GM provides a network connection to send the info.. Ford relies on YOUR phone connection to do the communications.

on your phone you need to load the Ford Sync Destinations app
here u can save up to 25 destinations. (and a bunch of other stuff,
including remembering where where you parked your vehicle if u save that point when u park).

map updates are a fee charge (they are 'selling' the update right now at 'only' $149.. )

go to http://www.flmowner.com, register, etc..

Old 12-19-2014, 01:46 PM
metfancowboy
Senior User
Everytime I try to use the Sync I hate it more. I have tried and tried to get it to work by voice commands. When it says "search by city" it always auto fills in "search in Virginia". I would love to change that but can't. God I miss the Onstar,soooo much easier.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:08 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Everytime I try to use the Sync I hate it more. I have tried and tried to get it to work by voice commands. When it says "search by city" it always auto fills in "search in Virginia". I would love to change that but can't. God I miss the Onstar,soooo much easier.
I do not like the commands, but here is a like for nav
Explore Navigation by Voice Command with SYNC | MyFord Touch | Ford.com

I want the darned thing to be on Phone by default.. don't think I would ever use the nav or audio commands

Old 12-19-2014, 06:43 PM
jh225
Elder User
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi jh225,

The map-based navigation and SYNC Services do work together, but they're two different features. SYNC Services is an audible feature that is subscription-based. It uses your phone to download the requested directions and sends it to SYNC. It also allows people that don't have navigation get directions when they need it. Here is a link for what you get with SYNC Services:

Ford SYNC with MyFord Touch SYNC Services and Features | MyFord Touch | Ford.com

The built-in navigation is free for the lifetime of your vehicle. Please note, this does not include map updates. Should you feel the need to update the maps, a new SD card or DVD (depending on your system) can be purchased via our map provider, HERE, at HERE navigation - Update your sat nav with the latest HERE maps..

I hope that helps answer your question, but if not, let me know and I'll explain further.

Rebecca
OK folks, still confused...............

Based strictly on finding a destination.........

1. When the 1 yr of Sync runs out, will the NAV give voice directions or just visual on screen? And if I physically punch the address into NAV screen, will it talk to me giving turn by turn directions?

2. When I hit the button on the steering wheel and use voice commands (destination/location/etc), who is "listening and talking", Sync or my free for life NAV?

I understand that Sync uses my phone, but I could care less about plugging a location into my computer and having my phone send it to Sync or whatever.

In my opinion, the whole thing is WAY too complicated and confusing. I can take my GPS, punch in a destination, it tells me where to go, done.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:59 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
I've never used the Sync services and even let the traffic and weather portion of my XM expire without renewal. You will still get turn by turn directions from your GPS - just like any other GPS. What you won't have is the ability to input your route info to your computer and have it transmitted to your Sync, as well as a few other features that I have never felt the need to pay for. You "already paid for life at purchase (free as you said)" NAV will take care of you.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:05 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by jh225
OK folks, still confused...............

Based strictly on finding a destination.........

1. When the 1 yr of Sync runs out, will the NAV give voice directions or just visual on screen? And if I physically punch the address into NAV screen, will it talk to me giving turn by turn directions?

2. When I hit the button on the steering wheel and use voice commands (destination/location/etc), who is "listening and talking", Sync or my free for life NAV?

I understand that Sync uses my phone, but I could care less about plugging a location into my computer and having my phone send it to Sync or whatever.

In my opinion, the whole thing is WAY too complicated and confusing. I can take my GPS, punch in a destination, it tells me where to go, done.
1. yes
2. Sync (deciding which function to work with, phone, audio, nav, asking for input on any function) and Nav (talking for directions turn by turn)

yes, you can take your GPS. etc.. but you can't play music hands free
or make phone calls hands free, Sync integrates all that into one system..
one push button

and then there are add ons to act more like Onstar.. ask for directions realtime NOW, and plan ahead directions.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:53 PM
jh225
Elder User
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
You will still get turn by turn directions from your GPS - just like any other GPS. What you won't have is the ability to input your route info to your computer and have it transmitted to your Sync, as well as a few other features that I have never felt the need to pay for. You "already paid for life at purchase (free as you said)" NAV will take care of you.
Thanks man, exactly what I was hoping for. I can barely work my smartphone and could care less about some system I have to pay to use, that does things I have no need for. As long as the GPS/NAV works and gives voice turn by turn directions like any GPS does, I am good to go.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:30 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Had Sync services on the last 4 or 5 vehicles we have owned, dealer did a great job demonstrating how to use it when we closed on each vehicle but we never have used it. I don't have a lot of questions when I drive around. Before I leave the house, I typically know where I am going and why.

Had on-star too on past vehicles, never used that either. Can't imagine paying for any of this.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:35 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by my_crib_too
Had Sync services on the last 4 or 5 vehicles we have owned, dealer did a great job demonstrating how to use it when we closed on each vehicle but we never have used it. I don't have a lot of questions when I drive around. Before I leave the house, I typically know where I am going and why.

Had on-star too on past vehicles, never used that either. Can't imagine paying for any of this.
we used onstar a lot while traveling in a new place... "where is the nearest 'xyz'" they would talk you thru the selection, then send the directions to the suburban. (no nav, didn't take GPS with us, doah!) one button push..

Old 12-21-2014, 11:42 AM
jh225
Elder User
I see they just announced a whole new Sync for MY 2016 to keep up with other makers. Owner complaints are one of the main reasons. Yeah, no *****.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:58 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
we used onstar a lot while traveling in a new place... "where is the nearest 'xyz'" they would talk you thru the selection, then send the directions to the suburban. (no nav, didn't take GPS with us, doah!) one button push..
That's a good point. If I traveled more to areas that I didn't know, maybe I would have more use for it. Could be a handy product for some people.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Templar
New User
Never had any issues...

I don't use the Sync services. I have my smartphone for that. If I am parked somewhere and want to know the nearest fast food place or something, I just use Google or the like.

Find the address if it's that far away and plug it into the NAV. Only reason I don't use the NAV on my phone strictly is because of the battery life it eats.

Quick Reply: Sync Services?