1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

New to me 57

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 03:44 PM
economan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep!
a well insulated shop is a must, when we built here.....(hard to believe it's 10 years july coming) We used the leftover ICF blocks to make a curb around the lower perimeter of the shop garage and keep the floor cement a bit warmer & higher ceiling. The 2x6 walls got stuffed with rockwool insulation exterior sheeted with 2'inch styrofoam & wrapped with tyvek then sided. Inner walls got a vapor barrier and sheeted with 1/2 plywood. and above the ceiling in the loft is between 3 & 4 feet of blown insulation. I think it is a R20 overhead door, (facing south) and fairly decent window & man doors recycled from the cottage we tore down to build. Result=the heated shop portion 20x30 is easily heated with a 220v construction heater. The heater doesn't hardly make a dent in the hydro bill, the xmas lights make it go up more than the heater does. The remainder, 3-ish bay cold part is ever so slowly getting insulated with styrofoam sheets packing mat'l i grab from work the odd time, but i can't ever see me wanting to heat that part anyways but it helps to moderate the temperature changes inside especially in the summer.

Mikie
Near ottawa canada
58 m-100 panel & 64 econoline p/u

Old 01-02-2015, 05:53 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good set up. The sidewalls of my garage are insulated but not the ceiling so there is plenty of fresh air!

Old 01-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys I had a chance today to go by where the 57 is stored and took a pic of the Warranty tag. I purchased a service manual CD but unlike my 61-63 service book there is no listing to decode the warranty tag on that CD. In the 57-60 was that only available in the parts breakdown or is my CD service lit missing something and can anyone please interpret the numbers for me. Thanks in advance if you can.

Here is the tag it was on the passanger B pillar post. The flash covered the notation of year above the 19 F. Where I thought I had read someplace it should have been on the drivers B pillar or the glove box door.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Got a few pics of the motivation that is supposed to be a 312 but that will remain to be seen this spring. Looks like everything is still pretty much there. Anyone see anything that is missing. I know the heater core has been by-passed. Not to up on what should be under the hood of a 57 Fridge.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:22 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzz44
Hey guys I had a chance today to go by where the 57 is stored and took a pic of the Warranty tag. I purchased a service manual CD but unlike my 61-63 service book there is no listing to decode the warranty tag on that CD. In the 57-60 was that only available in the parts breakdown or is my CD service lit missing something and can anyone please interpret the numbers for me. Thanks in advance if you can.

Here is the tag it was on the passanger B pillar post. The flash covered the notation of year above the 19 F. Where I thought I had read someplace it should have been on the drivers B pillar or the glove box door.
Here ya go Buzz.
F10 = F100 of course
K = 272 2v medium duty
7 = 1957
R = Build plant---San Jose
E = COLOR --Colonial white
19F build date --19th June
C = trans Auto ford F/M
01= Axle 3.70 (open)

Thats kind of odd on the P/S B pillar, and missing the model number between color and build date. Ya might want to check the frame number, But every thing look right. Except the Diff looker which probably was added from dealer what with the tag and all.
You got to be itching to get after this project.

PS looks like you got the electric wiper upgrade--Wahoo

Old 01-22-2015, 10:35 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
Here ya go Buzz.
F10 = F100 of course
K = 272 2v medium duty
7 = 1957
R = Build plant---San Jose
E = COLOR --Colonial white
19F build date --19th June
C = trans Auto ford F/M
01= Axle 3.70 (open)

Thats kind of odd on the P/S B pillar, and missing the model number between color and build date. Ya might want to check the frame number, But every thing look right. Except the Diff looker which probably was added from dealer what with the tag and all.
You got to be itching to get after this project.

PS looks like you got the electric wiper upgrade--Wahoo
Thanks Teddy I appreciate the breakdown on the tag. I see it had a DSO# I wondering if that was for the Detroit Locker or now that you mention it maybe the upgrade on the wiper motor. I will check that frame number sometime when I get it home here. Its about 40 miles from me right now Thanks again for the info.
Edit: The serial # from the title matches the tag and the title is dated in 1991...... Oh yeah itching to get my hands on it and see just what kind of shape all the mechanicals are in. Iv decided Im going to keep it kind of stock in staying with the straight axle and maybe dropping an 8.8 in the back so I can have power discs all around. Always wanted a rod with side pipes so that is in the plans lower a little with some Ford buckets out of a 69 Galaxie that I came across. I want to keep it all Ford. Of course lowering the stance a bit with a drop axle up front and some lowering springs. Flipping the rear doing some things with the spring perches and maybe notch the frame in back a little if needed. Any all in the dream stage now.... LOL.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:38 PM
ford_pickup
Elder User
Another Beautiful truck that I am sure you are going to do a beautiful job on, I am excited to see progress

Old 01-24-2015, 02:47 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ford_pickup
Another Beautiful truck that I am sure you are going to do a beautiful job on, I am excited to see progress
Thanks ford_pickup for that vote of confidence. I plan on giving it my best shot. Trying to keep it as original as possible with upgrades and still usable. Im still not sure about the long bed in a rod format but from some of the pics Ive seen of long beds hot rodded it kind of growns on you.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzz44
Got a few pics of the motivation that is supposed to be a 312 but that will remain to be seen this spring. Looks like everything is still pretty much there. Anyone see anything that is missing. I know the heater core has been by-passed. Not to up on what should be under the hood of a 57 Fridge.

The picture is a little dark in the area (passenger side down low) where the generator would be, but it looks to be missing to me. For the most part things look like they are there. IMHO I would say it is either a 272 or a 292. 312 is unlikely with a 2 bbl carb.

BTW: Long Beds are COOL!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Walston
The picture is a little dark in the area (passenger side down low) where the generator would be, but it looks to be missing to me. For the most part things look like they are there. IMHO I would say it is either a 272 or a 292. 312 is unlikely with a 2 bbl carb.

BTW: Long Beds are COOL!
Hi Walston I believe the gen is there but the belts are missing. It looks like the battery tray is a little suspect and needs replaced or repaired pretty soon. I think the inner fender under it is ok just some surface rust. Would that windshield wiper motor be a factory upgrade or did a previous owner do that. I think Teddy mentioned it in a previous post. The young man I bought it from said the original motor went away and who he got it from said it was a 312 with 292 heads. Its been my experience most times the motor they say it is is not really what it turns out to be.... LOL. We shall see. Im kind of excited to get spring here so I can get it to the house and find out the answer once and for all. . Im thinking a 292 is not a bad thing from what I have been reading about Yblocks.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:13 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
The wiper motor looks like an upgrade part from ford. I probably am calling it the wrong thing but I found one that I believe is identical to it for my truck and it came with the FoMoCo paperwork and box so who can know, that's right, Bill knows! He has had to straighten me out on more than one occasion.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by spurredon
The wiper motor looks like an upgrade part from ford. I probably am calling it the wrong thing but I found one that I believe is identical to it for my truck and it came with the FoMoCo paperwork and box so who can know, that's right, Bill knows! He has had to straighten me out on more than one occasion.
Maybe conversion would be the appropriate term to use. I haven't seen Bill around much lately well I hadn't been around much lately myself until just recently. Be interesting to know if the DSO was referring to that or that Detroit locker rear end.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:53 PM
truckin457s
New User
I like your truck! I have one very similar, shortbed fordomatic big window, but mine came with a chevy engine and trans. Im restoring the truck but I left the chev parts in it cause they were in good shape. Always thought about returning to 272 and fordomatic though. I have seen many 57s with the electric wipers not sure if it was optional or a part of the custom cab package. If you need other info or parts ask cause Ive been through almost every single piece of mine!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:38 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by truckin457s
I like your truck! I have one very similar, shortbed fordomatic big window, but mine came with a chevy engine and trans. Im restoring the truck but I left the chev parts in it cause they were in good shape. Always thought about returning to 272 and fordomatic though. I have seen many 57s with the electric wipers not sure if it was optional or a part of the custom cab package. If you need other info or parts ask cause Ive been through almost every single piece of mine!
Thanks truckin457 I will keep you in mind. Right now the auto trans is said not to work. Ive have never owned a old Ford truck with an auto trans before so it will be interesting to see if it just needs some minor work or lots of work. That will dictate how I go on it as far as getting it through the gears. I know where there is a 3 speed and bell housing if it is still there in the spring. Its where I found my other parts. Thanks for the info on the wipers these Fridges are all new to me.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Sir.Dino
New User
A fellow Washingtonian; nice truck man! Looks like a fun project. I got a manual 57' and it is mostly bone stock as it was only owned by two owners (second barely even drove it).

If you ever run into another situation where you don't know if something has been modified, let me know and I'll see if I can send some pics of mine so you can compare.

Quick Reply: New to me 57