1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

New to me 57

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:51 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzz44
Thanks Scott. Yeah the kid I bought the the truck from had many offers to part it for the grill and the rear cab glass. He didn't want to see it parted so held onto it till I came along. Paid $650 for it. Jess said that he had it running but could not get it to move like the trans was messed up. First for me too. I figured for that kind of money could not go wrong. How are things going up there in Montana? Any winter weather show up up there yet?
Getting some snow right now.....

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I really want one of these, but already have 5-6 "projects" waiting. Need to find one already done I guess.

Here's some fridges in a friends collection......

Attached Images    
Old 12-27-2014, 09:09 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 606 Likes on 544 Posts
That is a decent yard!

Old 12-27-2014, 09:10 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

There is still original wheels on the truck in the third pic.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scott yeah winter really got here today. First snow to speak of about 3 inches on the ground. Figured you were getting dumped on way up north there. Those all look like some nice restorable trucks. I have the same problem with my 65 and my sons 64 sitting in the back yard and my 63 sitting up in front of the house tarped with just a frame and box the 57 is just about going to fill up the stable. I have that same problem lack of storage. Cant save them all.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
Well that 58 grille looks like it aught to be save! Only about 2 dozen rusty bolts to remove it.LOL
If the price is right and time allows it might come home with me. Im more interested in the lower grille under it that I might take for my 57 if they are the same. It looks to be. I only hope that all the rusty bolts snap off with 2 turns. Never happens but I always hope.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:23 PM
mgargiullo
Senior User
Damn if the grill is decent, that is worth the price alone.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:44 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mgargiullo
Damn if the grill is decent, that is worth the price alone.
Hi mgargiullo are you talking my 57 or the 58 in the wrecking yard? Either is nice but I didn't have the money to pull the 58 grille to put up for sale.

My 57 grille is almost perfect. Don't know how it managed to survive as long as it did without some kind of damage looking at the rest of the truck.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:27 AM
mgargiullo
Senior User
The 57. I dread the day I send mine to the chromer to get fixed and chromed. Ok really dread the day I have to pay the bill.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Some wrecking yard booty for use in the spring time.

Slight work needed to get this fender hung on to replace the ratty passanger fender.

You see the rotten fender this one will replace when truck goes on the road again.

Messed up lower grille. It can be fixed but would like something a little straighter to start with.

This lower grille will find a new home when the 57 comes home this spring.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:01 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

You must be happy with that haul!

Old 01-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by spurredon
You must be happy with that haul!
I am happy with them spurredon. They will certainly clean that front clip up if I can get it running under its own power this spring. I can hardly wait to see how it all comes together. Almost the same color with just about the same wear on them. If I can get it running the truck will make a nice rat rod to start with. I came up with a worn steering wheel as well and a good seat frame that needs new cushions an covered. Not sure what the seat is out of that is in it now but the seat backs don't tip forward. Probably get a new windshield that will come back out when the truck is resto rodded later on.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:07 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

I find when I get something running and on the road I don't care as much about working on it anymore. I have a column hanging from the ceiling of my garage that was suppose to go in the '66 about six years ago and oh well, maybe someday. However, that is what winter is for, hopefully I will be getting going on some stuff myself in the near futur. Been busy keeping the daily driver '86 going.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
I find when I get something running and on the road I don't care as much about working on it anymore. I have a column hanging from the ceiling of my garage that was suppose to go in the '66 about six years ago and oh well, maybe someday. However, that is what winter is for, hopefully I will be getting going on some stuff myself in the near futur. Been busy keeping the daily driver '86 going.
I hear ya on not working on it once you have it running. My 65 will need a reprime in the spring too. Will it get it ummm maybe. It is too cold right now to work on the cab of my 63 that you can see part of in the pics of the used parts. If it warms up a little I will get in garage and get to welding on the drip rails on that cab. My little electric garage heater just doesn't cut it in single digit temps. My wifes explorer needs a new starter and it sits and waits for warmer weather too. I have to change it laying in the driveway outside. We are building a new house as we can afford it and it will have a 30ft x 40ft garage that will be heated and have ac for the summer then I can work no matter the weather outside.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:27 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Buzz44
I hear ya on not working on it once you have it running. My 65 will need a reprime in the spring too. Will it get it ummm maybe. It is too cold right now to work on the cab of my 63 that you can see part of in the pics of the used parts. If it warms up a little I will get in garage and get to welding on the drip rails on that cab. My little electric garage heater just doesn't cut it in single digit temps. My wifes explorer needs a new starter and it sits and waits for warmer weather too. I have to change it laying in the driveway outside. We are building a new house as we can afford it and it will have a 30ft x 40ft garage that will be heated and have ac for the summer then I can work no matter the weather outside.
That all sounds familiar as well. I have a wood stove that I just got done running about a half a face chord thru the last couple of days but there isn't much insulation to speak of. We have been in the low 20's with a stiff breeze so it keeps it cool. The floor of course is always cool and refreshing. Working on a house as you can is also a hard job. We never built new but redid two of them and lived in 'em while we did it. It too gets old but well worth the serious coin you save by doing it yourself. Anyone can go to the bank and borrow more money than they should and have someone build you a mansion. It takes patience to work and save and do it in a more gradual way.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:39 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
That all sounds familiar as well. I have a wood stove that I just got done running about a half a face chord thru the last couple of days but there isn't much insulation to speak of. We have been in the low 20's with a stiff breeze so it keeps it cool. The floor of course is always cool and refreshing. Working on a house as you can is also a hard job. We never built new but redid two of them and lived in 'em while we did it. It too gets old but well worth the serious coin you save by doing it yourself. Anyone can go to the bank and borrow more money than they should and have someone build you a mansion. It takes patience to work and save and do it in a more gradual way.
Right now I have more time and patience than money. Isnt that always the way of it. Go OHIO state. Well I have to shut this down and go check the snow blower. We are supposed to get some snow tomorrow and Saturday. I ran it dry last year and put it away. I have to put some gas and seafoam in it and see what happens. Check the forms out later. Happy New Year and stay warm......

Quick Reply: New to me 57