General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I fill my old home heating oil tank with on-road diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:48 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
heating oil and diesel storage tanks are grounded to prevent static electric sparks.
any pumping device must also be grounded to prevent static sparking.

diesel fuel and #2 home heating oil are not the same thing. although some places will sell diesel as home heating oil.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:50 AM
F357
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tjc transport
heating oil and diesel storage tanks are grounded to prevent static electric sparks.
Being a buried tank I suspect it's well grounded. I also suspect the fuel delivery driver will take any required precautions before filling.

Originally Posted by tjc transport
diesel fuel and #2 home heating oil are not the same thing. although some places will sell diesel as home heating oil.
You're right, each has a spec, and it's different. They are similar enough that the storage and delivery requirements are exactly the same. As far as the tank is concerned they are the same thing. If he was asking about running his truck off of heating oil this would be a different discussion. Additives may be different. And diesel fuel might be cleaner.

It is very important to note:
ANYBODY who tells you this is illegal or unsafe is simply WRONG and does not know what they are talking about. It is not a matter of opinion, and it does not differ state to state. It is not a matter of "nobody will notice if you do it", it's a matter of "it's perfectly safe, legal, and acceptable in every possible way".

Old 02-14-2015, 07:55 AM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My heating oil guy has NEVER ran a bonding rod from his truck to my tank. My tank has no rounding rod aside from the 4 legs.<br />
<br />
Passed home inspection and he just dropped off 250 gallons yesterday.<br />
<br />
all the "information" in this thread iscorrect.......if you are a commercial entity transporting fuel. As the OP is not a commercial entity,all of the information is moot.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:06 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger1980
My heating oil guy has NEVER ran a bonding rod from his truck to my tank. My tank has no rounding rod aside from the 4 legs.

Passed home inspection and he just dropped off 250 gallons yesterday.

all the "information" in this thread iscorrect.......if you are a commercial entity transporting fuel. As the OP is not a commercial entity,all of the information is moot.
I'll have to agree with this.
And also I've run heating oil in diesel engines before, and they get considerably louder, so no way is it the exact same oil mixture. I think the furnace heating oil burns hotter and faster.
Just my opinion.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 PM
F357
Senior User
Originally Posted by parkland
And also I've run heating oil in diesel engines before, and they get considerably louder, so no way is it the exact same oil mixture. I think the furnace heating oil burns hotter and faster.
Just my opinion.
It's the cetane. Lower cetane will make your engine louder. That's not controlled in heating oil or additives given for it. (your furnace doesn't care) As somebody else posted there is indeed a different spec for both heating oil and diesel fuel, but they are "basically" the same for your tank. Mainly the different spec deals with the cetane additives and detergents. Also some places require a small amount of biodiesel mixed in, heating oil may or may not have the same requirement.

Within the spec, #2 diesel fuel can be substituted for #2 heating oil, but not the other way around. This means if a supplier ran low on heating oil, they could substitute road fuel with dye. This is important because it also means the heating oil tank you already have, is already 100% on spec for holding diesel fuel.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:01 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Actually, I also have problems getting diesel to burn right outside in my garage furnace.
-20 outside, and diesel in the system, I need to warm up the burning chamber and blower with a hair dryer.
With actual furnace oil, it just fires right up like it should.

Until very recently, I thought they were the same fuel minus the dye, but this is simply not true.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:43 PM
F357
Senior User
I thought they were the same fuel minus the dye, but this is simply not true.
It depends on where you are at, the date, the temperature, and a lot of other fuel supply conditions. In many places, yes, they very much are the same exact product. For that matter in a lot of places you can order more than one type of heating oil. (different mixes)

As the OP is in Port Orchard, WA, where the temps are mild, it is most likely almost the same thing, minus some additives.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:09 AM
slampig5spd
Senior User
I say run it. Afraid to get in trouble? Simply don't tell or show anybody. I would say it's probably not illegal but who knows. The majority of the laws are just another form of tax anyway.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:09 AM
F357
Senior User
Originally Posted by slampig5spd
I say run it. Afraid to get in trouble? Simply don't tell or show anybody. I would say it's probably not illegal but who knows. The majority of the laws are just another form of tax anyway.
LOL. You obviously didn't read the thread.

As for dyed fuel, it very much is very illegal to use on road and I take offense to anybody that does that. If you get caught with dyed diesel on the road it usually starts with a very stiff fine for the very first offense. (Around $5,000) The red dye lasts for a very long time.

It's funny the lengths people will go to hide their use of red fuel - if you don't want to pay taxes you can just buy regular fuel at any gas station and send in your receipts for a refund on the tax for every gallon. You just have to convince the govt that you aren't burning it on the road. If they believe you they will send you a refund. It even works for gasoline. That's what I do for the fuel in my shop heater, which burns taxed road fuel usually.

For some reason whenever somebody asks about storing bulk diesel it becomes a discussion about tax evasion. It's just as easy to order up a bulk tank of clear, taxed road fuel, and you'll get a discount for ordering in bulk. The last time I called about buying bulk road diesel, it was about 20 cents cheaper per gallon cheaper than the cheapest local discount station after 300 gallons. Have to be careful and order it when prices are down.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:23 AM
slampig5spd
Senior User
Originally Posted by F357
LOL. You obviously didn't read the thread.

As for dyed fuel, it very much is very illegal to use on road and I take offense to anybody that does that. If you get caught with dyed diesel on the road it usually starts with a very stiff fine for the very first offense. (Around $5,000) The red dye lasts for a very long time.

It's funny the lengths people will go to hide their use of red fuel - if you don't want to pay taxes you can just buy regular fuel at any gas station and send in your receipts for a refund on the tax for every gallon. You just have to convince the govt that you aren't burning it on the road. If they believe you they will send you a refund. It even works for gasoline. That's what I do for the fuel in my shop heater, which burns taxed road fuel usually.

For some reason whenever somebody asks about storing bulk diesel it becomes a discussion about tax evasion. It's just as easy to order up a bulk tank of clear, taxed road fuel, and you'll get a discount for ordering in bulk. The last time I called about buying bulk road diesel, it was about 20 cents cheaper per gallon cheaper than the cheapest local discount station after 300 gallons. Have to be careful and order it when prices are down.
LOL from my understanding he's looking to run on road fuel and store it in the tank. While it's "cheap" and I don't see why he didn't just jump on it. If you enjoy paying $4.00 per gallon be my guest. Baha you wouldn't happen to be looking to buy any parts would ya?

So would it offend ya, if I told ya that I got a hot rod, runs off of high octane moonshine and I grow the corn myself.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:14 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by slampig5spd

So would it offend ya, if I told ya that I got a hot rod, runs off of high octane moonshine and I grow the corn myself.
I don't know about every state or province in north america, but some places I know you can get a certificate of some type that allows you to burn alternative fuels.
I think the #1 rule was that it is a personal vehicle, not commercial or for hire.
So, if it is legal to run on the road without taxed fuels, the only thing you're really doing wrong is the lack of paperwork.

Question, what do you figure it costs you to make a gallon of high octane shine?
Are you doing it for cost effective reasons, or just for the fun and creativity of it?

I think alternative fueled vehicles are cool, but most people trying to brew fuel, are doing it at a cost over conventional fuel, while those burning waste oils are merely taking advantage of a resource that isn't available to the masses.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:33 AM
slampig5spd
Senior User
I don't know about every state or province in north america, but some places I know you can get a certificate of some type that allows you to burn alternative fuels.
I think the #1 rule was that it is a personal vehicle, not commercial or for hire.
So, if it is legal to run on the road without taxed fuels, the only thing you're really doing wrong is the lack of paperwork.

Question, what do you figure it costs you to make a gallon of high octane shine?
Are you doing it for cost effective reasons, or just for the fun and creativity of it?

I think alternative fueled vehicles are cool, but most people trying to brew fuel, are doing it at a cost over conventional fuel, while those burning waste oils are merely taking advantage of a resource that isn't available to the masses.
I'm not sure what it cost honestly, I grow corn to feed the animals and make it out of that. I hardly run it, it runs hot, it runs loud, and it probably beats the crap out of the sbc that I run it in. I could probably mix it with a little bit of spent engine oil and extend the life of the engine but I really don't need to. I built the car out of left over parts and pieces from other project vehicles that I built so it's really a just because vehicle. I plan on getting around to building the engine up, I've acquired an old Detroit blower that I'd like to put on it, but believe I have to think up a more efficient cooling system.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:56 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
mmmmmmmm detroit blower......