Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Does this match the symptoms of CAC condensation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 05:20 PM
conger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well you seem to already have all the answers so why are you bothering with a forum.
Have a nice day.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:42 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because there are smarter people than you that I can talk to.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:51 PM
conger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Because there are smarter people than you that I can talk to.
Whatever you say trigger, I guess you told me.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:02 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
A lot of people on another forum have had success with drilling a 1/16" hole in the bottom of the stock CAC.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:57 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
let's stay on track gentlemen.

QwkTrip,

FWIW -- yes, the check engine light may take a while to come on, even for a misfire that is easily detectable by the driver's butt-o-meter. The engine light might not come on, but there will be a pending code stored in the system if a severe misfire was detected.

also, if an upshift was commanded and the transmission failed to respond this may not turn on the CEL for a one time event but the PCM should still store a pending code.

if i were to guess .... i'd say you got a slug of water from the CAC which caused a misfire. if the engine was severely misfiring, and upshift could cause a stall condition and might not have been commanded by the PCM to prevent a stall, so the transmission is not likely your problem, again, if i were to guess.

either way, getting the system scanned for pending codes should tell you what kind of problem(s) you had. Pending codes are cleared after a defined number of cycles, though (can't remember how many, off hand), so don't wait too long to get it scanned if that is something you think might help you out.

a parts store code reader will read a misfire code, but it will not read a transmission code, so you'll have to go somewhere that has a very good scanner, e.g. dealership, or independent mechanic.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
If you look at Moroso's Belt Driven Vacuum pump PVC system containing their Catch Can for excess oil collection you will arrive at the proper usage inclusion that constant vacuum in the block & keeping the combustion vapors the block contains from getting into the CAC is what you need and the OEM version is not so good at doing it. OF course the system or systems like it are for Sanctioned events mostly. Using a system of evacuation from the block after the turbos into the exhaust system also worked in the past their just old school. These tubes will enter the exhaust pipes at an angle allowing a vacuum draw of vapors due to the speed and pressure changes of the gasses passing them in the pipes and draw from the block in operation and not need an additional vacuum pump installation.

Main thing to know is the Synthetic oil vaporized in the engine block has water join up with it as they condense, most of these have a natural vapor state, synthetic oil can actually be made from natural gas and ( water likes a particle to grab onto when it changes from vapor to liquid). So the Condensate contains oil, water/oil/other chemicals, in clear form and the additive package which gives the clear oil color is also elsewhere in the condensate so you can see them as a chocolate malt bubbly mix or separated out into different levels of substances which when shaken/stirred quickly mix right back up to once again separate out if allowed shelf time.
The whole thing about condensate denial is that the water is not there all alone mostly. It is joined up with chemicals for the most part although you can see drops of water around the collection bottle sides at times.
Chemists have proven that water readily as it changes back to liquid will unite with oil as one substance and is a fact.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:26 AM
shaffer5
New User
Same thing happened with our 2012 F150 EB. First time...no flashing lights, no check engine lights. Just got on it to pass and thought the truck was going to shake itself apart. This time (this past Sunday) got the same awful shake but this time the check engine light is on. Sure is frustrating! Waiting to see what the dealer has to say THIS time when I finally can get it taken in on Monday!

Old 01-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
Simply drill the small hole in the driver side bottom of the CAC and check the spark plugs gaps if you don't get codes for throttle body, O2's or Catz, you can easily plug the hole in the bottom of the CAC with a small screw from a child's toy battery cover if you feel the need to delete questions at an inspection. Every time you see a mess under it on the garage floor you will have a good driving day before you.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:03 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shaffer5
Same thing happened with our 2012 F150 EB. First time...no flashing lights, no check engine lights. Just got on it to pass and thought the truck was going to shake itself apart. This time (this past Sunday) got the same awful shake but this time the check engine light is on. Sure is frustrating! Waiting to see what the dealer has to say THIS time when I finally can get it taken in on Monday!
Be sure to let us know how things go at the dealership today, shaffer5. How many miles are on your truck? I'll check in on this thread to see when you have any news.

Crystal

Old 04-12-2015, 05:35 PM
okiyama85
New User
Picture of Dealer Fix for intercooler

Here is how the dealer fixed my leaky intercooler. Complete BS because you know it affects performance.

Plate over lower half of intercooler

Old 04-12-2015, 06:36 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by okiyama85
Here is how the dealer fixed my leaky intercooler. Complete BS because you know it affects performance.

Plate over lower half of intercooler
I'd remove that plate and drill "The Hole".

Old 04-12-2015, 07:33 PM
shaffer5
New User
Yup!! This happened to us AGAIN this past week on our Spring Break vacation. SAME stinkin' problem that we paid $1,000.00 to our dealer to "fix" the problem. Obviously it was yet another band aid!! Getting SO frustrated....or should I say STILL so frustrated. Nothing ever changes.....

Old 04-12-2015, 07:34 PM
shaffer5
New User
Crystal @ Ford....see my newest post

Old 04-13-2015, 08:10 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or invest in a good PCV catch system to keep that crap from getting into the intake in the first place. Mine is on the way after seeing how much crap they actually catch.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:47 AM
wdbates
Freshman User
Very similar symptoms with my ECO. loss of power, Missing and falling on its face when trying to pass or accelerating up hill no CEL. Went to dealer he was worthless as he was with my transmission noise "can not duplicate". I topped tank with supreme drove in tow haul mode and it felt better. I filled with supreme again and it was back to running normal. poss bad fuel?

Quick Reply: Does this match the symptoms of CAC condensation?