1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1999 E-150(4.2l V6) Grinding behind front rotor....abs reader?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:21 PM
d.weglarz13
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E-150(4.2l V6) Grinding behind front rotor....abs reader?

Hey guys. So, quick question. I have the 4.2l V6 E150 1999. I did the brakes the other day, and the next day I hear a grinding thats getting worse in the front driver wheel.
So, I take off wheel, appears some metal piece is hanging inside the pads. So, take off caliper again, and it seems its a metal ring that broke. Im guessing at this point, that the ring/seal around the piston in the caliper must have broke when I used the c clamp to open the caliper for the new pads. SO, no leaks, but when I spin the rotor, I still hear the noise.

So, now, I look behind the rotor with the caliper off, and see something I am not familiar with. It seems to be a second line going down towards the brake system from the engine bay, and this line doesn't go to the caliper. Instead, it spits off and its a smaller line that goes behind the rotor to some sort of little gear with teeth that catch onto a large wheel that seems to be connected as one piece with the back of the rotor. This wheel also has teeth like a gear, and seems to be grinding where the small gear contacts this larger wheel behind the rotor.

I hope i am explaining this so you guys know what Im talking about, I know its not the best description. I don't know how else to explain it though.

NOW, here seems to be it. It seems to be called the "ABS reader." And, I see tons of metal shavings and what looks like broken teeth.
So this seems to be the problem but there is more. Bad luck seems to have hit my truck lately with the tranny starting to go, and now the front door pinched the fender real bad so it looks horrible. Among other problems, Im guessing Im not gonna have this truck too long so I am trying to go as cheap as possible for temporary.

So, as far as the grinding sound.....Does it make sense what Im trying to describe? It really sounds like that little gear thingy is causing the noise. Can I just break off any parts or bits that are causing contact and rid myself of the noise without doing any more damage? I mean, The ABS never worked in this van, so Im not worried about that. But, if I could even chip away any contacting teeth on that little gear without buying anything, that would be great.

I don't know all the technical terms, and sorry for that but I am afraid by the sound this may get worse tomorrow, so any advice is appreciated very much.

Thanks.

Dave

Old 12-23-2014, 06:00 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by d.weglarz13
Hey guys. So, quick question. I have the 4.2l V6 E150 1999. I did the brakes the other day, and the next day I hear a grinding thats getting worse in the front driver wheel.
So, I take off wheel, appears some metal piece is hanging inside the pads. So, take off caliper again, and it seems its a metal ring that broke. Im guessing at this point, that the ring/seal around the piston in the caliper must have broke when I used the c clamp to open the caliper for the new pads. SO, no leaks, but when I spin the rotor, I still hear the noise.

So, now, I look behind the rotor with the caliper off, and see something I am not familiar with. It seems to be a second line going down towards the brake system from the engine bay, and this line doesn't go to the caliper. Instead, it spits off and its a smaller line that goes behind the rotor to some sort of little gear with teeth that catch onto a large wheel that seems to be connected as one piece with the back of the rotor. This wheel also has teeth like a gear, and seems to be grinding where the small gear contacts this larger wheel behind the rotor.

I hope i am explaining this so you guys know what Im talking about, I know its not the best description. I don't know how else to explain it though.

NOW, here seems to be it. It seems to be called the "ABS reader." And, I see tons of metal shavings and what looks like broken teeth.
So this seems to be the problem but there is more. Bad luck seems to have hit my truck lately with the tranny starting to go, and now the front door pinched the fender real bad so it looks horrible. Among other problems, Im guessing Im not gonna have this truck too long so I am trying to go as cheap as possible for temporary.

So, as far as the grinding sound.....Does it make sense what Im trying to describe? It really sounds like that little gear thingy is causing the noise. Can I just break off any parts or bits that are causing contact and rid myself of the noise without doing any more damage? I mean, The ABS never worked in this van, so Im not worried about that. But, if I could even chip away any contacting teeth on that little gear without buying anything, that would be great.

I don't know all the technical terms, and sorry for that but I am afraid by the sound this may get worse tomorrow, so any advice is appreciated very much.

Thanks.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I have an '88 model so no ABS but I did have a problem with a front caliper pinching the worn brake pad and overheating the rotor.

My advice would be NOT to go cheap on anything dealing with brakes, wheelbearings, or spindles. Take it to a shop if there is a question on staying safe.

jim

Old 12-23-2014, 11:47 AM
d.weglarz13
New User
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am broke sobi won't be taking it to a shop. But, the more I look at the abs reader, I don't think it would be that horrible if I could just remove it or the broken teeth causing the grinding. To be safe and in case it's in fact the bearing, I am replacing that too. Hopefully today when it stops raining I will see what I can do about removing(probably breaking but the abs doesn't work anyway), hopefully no problems. I'll report back after.

Dave

Old 12-26-2014, 11:17 PM
d.weglarz13
New User
update.............

So, yea. Turns out is was the ABS reader, and it was cracked and had some metal bits sticking out hitting the teeth on the back of the rotor. But, as you may have guessed, I still am not sure what was causing the grinding, this or the wheel bearing. So, to be safe I replaced the outer and inner bearings, and completely HACKED the abs reader off and smashed it a bit with the hammer to make it flush and now it can't possibly touch the back of the rotor. Yes, I won't have abs. No, I never had it anyways, so I don't care.
But, either way, the truck is running solid again, no noise or vibration whatsoever. Thanks anyways for the help, hopefully this will help someone in the future if they don't care about their abs either. Again, this is an old work van. So, just thought I'd share my experience.

dave

Old 12-27-2014, 04:37 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by d.weglarz13
update.............

So, yea. Turns out is was the ABS reader, and it was cracked and had some metal bits sticking out hitting the teeth on the back of the rotor. But, as you may have guessed, I still am not sure what was causing the grinding, this or the wheel bearing. So, to be safe I replaced the outer and inner bearings, and completely HACKED the abs reader off and smashed it a bit with the hammer to make it flush and now it can't possibly touch the back of the rotor. Yes, I won't have abs. No, I never had it anyways, so I don't care.
But, either way, the truck is running solid again, no noise or vibration whatsoever. Thanks anyways for the help, hopefully this will help someone in the future if they don't care about their abs either. Again, this is an old work van. So, just thought I'd share my experience.

dave
Sounds good, Dave!

Did you look at the other wheel to see what shape it is in? While you have it down for maintenance, "fixing" the other side now might save a hassle in the future?

(Yes, I am the laziest person in the world; I never miss a chance to avoid future work.) :-)
jim