RHP built EFI 504 stroker - 1997 F350

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:57 PM
Florida 350
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It got in today, will be picking it up tomorrow. Plan on getting it in truck Saturday, but probably not too much other than that. I got family plans so might not be able to get it running......

Old 01-31-2015, 07:58 PM
Florida 350
Junior User
Well, motor is in. Tranny is bolted up (what a pain with a 5 speed). Upper plenum is on. Engine is at TDC. Ran out of daylight, was only able to work on it this afternoon. Probably won't get much time until next weekend.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:47 PM
westcoasting
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't wait to hear about the results! Are you going with a carb on this?

Old 02-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Florida 350
Junior User
Keeping EFI. Its all EFI friendly per Scott.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:39 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice to know there's a good engine builder just up the road from me.

What clutch are you using in hopes that it will hold?

If you decide you need to go MAF then I have a complete factory setup.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:44 AM
Florida 350
Junior User
I purchased the Kevlar clutch system from South Bend Clutch. I talked to them and it is rated to hold 800 pounds of TQ so let's hope so!

Is your MAF for a 5 speed? How much? Might be interested.

Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Nice to know there's a good engine builder just up the road from me.

What clutch are you using in hopes that it will hold?

If you decide you need to go MAF then I have a complete factory setup.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:33 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It came off a 97 CA truck with E4OD, shouldn't be any issue putting it on a 5 speed truck, there would if it was the other way around. Tried selling it for a while at $1,000. Make offer.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Florida 350
Junior User
I got everything hooked up on the engine during the week, and had a buddy help me with the timing light. It fired after about 5 seconds of cranking. We set base timing (spout out) at 12 BTDC. It didn't sputter and shake and all that like I thought it would. Plugged the spout back in after shutting it down, and it went to 22 at idle and advanced just like it should. Sat there idling about 15 minutes or so to let the computer get used to it, revved it with no pinging or anything. Checked everything for leaks, found none. Set fuel pressure at ~41-42 pounds.

Took it for about a 30 minute initial drive. Since I put in a new South Bend clutch, I wasn't very hard on it (that will come soon). But at 1/2 and 3/4 throttle all I can say is WOW! There is zero doubt this engine is serious. It ran smooth, idles fine, no hesitation, just loads more power.

The only thing negative is that when I was pulling into my driveway my battery light came on and then I lost power steering. I threw both belts and destroyed them, but at least not while driving it down the road. I think I should have retightened my alternator belt after initial idle (it probably stretched a little).

This whole combo so far on the initial run seems to work just fine with the EFI and computer, and I am hoping a little more driving and it will learn the motor.

I can't tell you how much better this engine performs than stock! Scott did a fantastic job and it runs just like we talked about when I contacted him to build it.

I can't wait to get some more belts and take it back out.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:17 AM
westcoasting
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How is everything working out now for you?

Old 03-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Florida 350
Junior User
Originally Posted by westcoasting
How is everything working out now for you?

About the time I got everything running, I sold my house, so I am about to move, so been busy getting all that done, but that will done mid-March then I can mess with it some more. My wife thinks boxing up stuff is more important than trucks..... I just haven't told her she is wrong yet.

I did order the IST MAF conversion, Air Adjuster, and TPS monitor as well as a AFR gauge. I think I will get WAY better performance and tuneability out of it. It seems after running it around some that the SD is leaving some on the table. I plan to have that installed by beginning of April and will post some results at that time.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:19 PM
psjoyal
4wd High
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
How have you been liking the new engine combo?

Old 06-08-2015, 12:02 AM
bobalonius
New User
I think that may be the cleanest late 90's truck I've seen since... the late 90's.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Smileys35
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Ford F350, 521 Big Block Mass Air

Florida 350, You are the only other person that I have run across with the same truck and project. I have 97 F350 Long Bed Single Wheel too. 7.5 Block, Auto Transmission and 4x4. I put the 521 Cubic in and switched harness to Mass Air. Supposed to be 500 HP. Mine is in a specialty tune shop in Lake Charles, La. It has been a nightmare with the Mass Air harness. I also had to change the brand new timing chain to a special 12 degreed chain with the HP and the Mass Air tuning. Trying to get the right computer has been several trials. I am running 45 # injectors and we have tried Lightning Computers and Mustang Computers. We finally winded up with a mustang computer. Had to have a separate tuner for the transmission since mine is auto. Been in Tune shop for several months. The Speed Density will not get it tuned close enough, that we know of anyway. I am curious to see how yours is doing now?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Florida 350
Junior User
Originally Posted by Smileys35
Florida 350, You are the only other person that I have run across with the same truck and project. I have 97 F350 Long Bed Single Wheel too. 7.5 Block, Auto Transmission and 4x4. I put the 521 Cubic in and switched harness to Mass Air. Supposed to be 500 HP. Mine is in a specialty tune shop in Lake Charles, La. It has been a nightmare with the Mass Air harness. I also had to change the brand new timing chain to a special 12 degreed chain with the HP and the Mass Air tuning. Trying to get the right computer has been several trials. I am running 45 # injectors and we have tried Lightning Computers and Mustang Computers. We finally winded up with a mustang computer. Had to have a separate tuner for the transmission since mine is auto. Been in Tune shop for several months. The Speed Density will not get it tuned close enough, that we know of anyway. I am curious to see how yours is doing now?
So I ordered my kit from IST 2/24, just got the Air Adjuster last week and everything else a month ago. Fired it up but runs real rough at idle and through the RPMs. Could be timing, don't know, it's set at 12.5 factory setting. Will mess with it this weekend. Will also hook up scanner for codes. Who built your engine? I would appreciate any info you got. Text me at 386-341-3126

Old 08-26-2015, 08:03 PM
Florida 350
Junior User
So today I pulled SPOUT out and the motor cranked and idled just fine. Set timing to 14 and it idled fine and right around 14.7 on the AFR. Revved it a little but obviously timing didn't advance with it. Put the SPOUT back on, ran like crap, wouldn't idle, AFR was going crazy from 10-20 at lightning speed. Timing had advanced to around 20 at idle (or as close as I could keep it there).

At this point not sure what to do. Every sensor and ignition, etc. is brand new when I put motor back in. I am calling IST tomorrow, but so far very disappointed as I was told that this was the perfect conversion based on the build specs.

And NO CODES or CEL.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Quick Reply: RHP built EFI 504 stroker - 1997 F350