6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Can I convert transfer shift from push button the a shifter

Old 12-22-2014, 12:41 PM
calvinbabb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I convert transfer shift from push button the a shifter

have been all over the vacuum lines, wiring, solenoids, and everything seems to work correctly. I was told that the motor that shifts the transfer case very seldom goes bad. When i have the engine off and try to engage i can here it clicking underneath so i figured it was trying to engage. I'm to the point that if i can convert it to a shifter to engage I will. has anyone done this and how much trouble is it. tired of chasing ghost and not getting any results. It will not lock in to High 4 or Low 4.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:18 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the tranny bypasses 4 th gear. I think it goes 3 to 5. Tranny is not my thing tho.
You would need to talk to someone like Mark Kovalsky.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:35 PM
calvinbabb
Senior User
Originally Posted by dannyboy950
I think the tranny bypasses 4 th gear. I think it goes 3 to 5. Tranny is not my thing tho.
You would need to talk to someone like Mark Kovalsky.
????????????????

Old 12-22-2014, 02:05 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mark Kovalsky is the guru when it comes to these types of questions, he's a member here.

Mine engages but doesn't keep clicking. They do break I'm sure. Maybe remove the little motor and then watch is engage to make sure its working... best i got.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:08 PM
calvinbabb
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Mark Kovalsky is the guru when it comes to these types of questions, he's a member here.

Mine engages but doesn't keep clicking. They do break I'm sure. Maybe remove the little motor and then watch is engage to make sure its working... best i got.
Gonna try that this weekend. just getting frustrating. went to back onto a concrete slab and the rear tire hit the edge and spun so tried to lock in and did nothing. ended up getting a running start to get the wheel over the edge.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:13 PM
mstiles19
Posting Guru
On my 01 I had this problem and it ended up being the computer that controlled it but mine did not click.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:07 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Ok here is my 2 cents.

Stock Ford hubs? I had no 4wd on our first snowfall. I could hear the shift motor doing it's thing. Couldn't turn drive shaft when the dash switch was in the 4x4 position. Locked the hubs and axles would not turn so all was good there.

I replaced the stock auto/lock hubs a few years ago. I narrowed the problem down to a hub issue. I still have my old hubs so I removed the right side and replaced with the stock hub. Still no 4wd. I replaced the left side and boom 4wd. I got to thinking that both sides did not come apart the same.

I compared the hubs and sure enough one came out in one piece and the other came out in two.

Notice one snap ring came out of it's groove. When I had the hub locked I could not turn the axle by hand. When trying to drive I had no 4wd. I pulled the left side hub back off and sure enough there was the snap ring. I put snap ring back on and installed and it is still good.

The stock hub has a snap ring on the back as well. This might be the issue, who knows. Worth looking at I guess.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:59 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I'm on mobile right now so I don't know what year your truck is but as far as I have seen on FTE there are provisions in the floors for a manual transfer case shifter.

Another option is the shiftster. I am not sure on the quality and sure don't like the idea of climbing under the truck to engage the transfer case. So I would keep this as a last resort.

http://www.theshiftster.com/

Old 12-23-2014, 10:21 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The manual transfer case, which uses a stick, is actually a different model than the one using the electric shift solenoid. So, unless you want to change transfer cases, I dontt hink so.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:27 PM
calvinbabb
Senior User
not into climbing under the truck when i want to engage so the shifster is out. and not wanting to change cases so will try the hubs first and go from there. mine have the writing wore off so i can't tell is they are locked manually or not. i just looked at a picture of the hubs to see what direction to turn them to turn them on auto to keep from tearing something up. Is there a way to add a switch to go directly to the motor on the trans case that will bypass the birds nest of a harness?

Old 12-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by calvinbabb
not into climbing under the truck when i want to engage so the shifster is out. and not wanting to change cases so will try the hubs first and go from there. mine have the writing wore off so i can't tell is they are locked manually or not. i just looked at a picture of the hubs to see what direction to turn them to turn them on auto to keep from tearing something up. Is there a way to add a switch to go directly to the motor on the trans case that will bypass the birds nest of a harness?
No you cannot add a switch, way more complicated than that

Josh

Old 12-23-2014, 01:03 PM
calvinbabb
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390

Josh
Figures. nothing is easy.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by calvinbabb
Figures. nothing is easy.
It isn't too hard to source a manual t-case and linkages and ditch the electronics.

I have converted a couple Explorers and a Ranger.

Josh

Old 12-24-2014, 04:50 AM
calvinbabb
Senior User
kinda watching on ebay but most trans cases there are electronic. just keep my eyes open and see what comes across. some of the E trans weren't bad priced.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:39 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390

Josh
X2^^^^^^^^^

That's also a lot work to change to manual shift

If it were mine I would just troubleshoot it

Someone needs to look at there hubs and see what way is manual lock
Is it clockwise or counterclock?????????

Make sure on hub position Make sure it is in LOCK position and then start troubleshoot from there
Must first rule the hub in or out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I convert transfer shift from push button the a shifter