1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Bug out my Bullnose

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
No, a solenoid won't work. But the simple thing is points. Do away with the DS-II, replace the dizzy with a points-style unit, and away you go - for about 10,000 when the points need replacing.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTDriver97
So I do have the Duraspark then huh?

Is it possible to just run a solenoid only kind of thing and be done with it? Could the solenoid get power from the battery, then just power a coil to run the plugs? Is there something that simple out there? Something that can still run when the lights are off ya know?
You could replace it with a points system, but that's about it...you need something more than a simple solenoid to run your ignition. What you said above about a Faraday cage is the way to go. You'll want to look up the details, but I've heard that wrapping something in layers of foil and plastic and storing in an ammo can is a reasonable way to protect something, and you can leave that can behind the seat. When the Iranians pop a nuke off you can quickly swap modules, and you'll be Mad Maxxin' your way home in no time.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:55 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Myself, I'm just going to rely on a tinfoil hat.

There is a lot of speculation about EMP and certainly research into the effect. Best known incident may be the 1859 Carrington event. Solar storm, yes, but the electromagnetic properties of such a storm may be similar to any EMP pulse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
I think the best bet on a bug out vehicle would be a mechanical injection diesel such as a 6.9/7.3 IDI. Don't count on any electronic goodies such as radios or GPS to continue to function. Transmission should be manual, or a full hydraulic A/T. Lighting and any other electrical essentials would have to be simple and robust.

The 1859 solar storm produced reports of telegraph stations acting erratically. I think this was largely due to the large area of overhead cables that collected energy. The collection area of a single vehicle is much smaller and I suspect the energy collected would be greatly diminished. Would it be enough to fry electronics? Maybe not, but the name of the game is preparedness. Possibly running wiring in metallic conduits, which are properly bonded to the chassis may help.

I hope we never see such an event. Reality is, we have more to fear from social decay and unrest than we would from a single EMP event.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You all are forgetting about the pickup coil in the dist. Emp will smoke it. As well as the fuel shutoff relay in an idi. And the coil in a gasser. As well as your solenoids. Relays. Fuel pumps in an in tank pump.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:03 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
No, a solenoid won't work. But the simple thing is points. Do away with the DS-II, replace the dizzy with a points-style unit, and away you go - for about 10,000 when the points need replacing.
Ugh, 10,000 miles and I have to redo everything???

No thanks to that. I'll probably just have to keep a spare aside and replace it when it happens.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:04 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dorsai
you'll be Mad Maxxin' your way home in no time.
That new one sure does look good doesn't it?

Old 12-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Originally Posted by SVTDriver97
Ugh, 10,000 miles and I have to redo everything???

No thanks to that. I'll probably just have to keep a spare aside and replace it when it happens.
Points take like 5 min to replace.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:11 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger1980
You all are forgetting about the pickup coil in the dist. Emp will smoke it. As well as the fuel shutoff relay in an idi. And the coil in a gasser. As well as your solenoids. Relays. Fuel pumps in an in tank pump.
I'm betting my tinfoil hat will keep me protected.

Also think a lot of this was covered with carb and points conversions.

Relays and solenoids are a lot more robust that semiconductor junctions. A direct hit by a nuke will make everything a moot point.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014
I'm betting my tinfoil hat will keep me protected.

Also think a lot of this was covered with carb and points conversions.

Relays and solenoids are a lot more robust that semiconductor junctions. A direct hit by a nuke will make everything a moot point.
Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective), an EMP attack doesn't involve a 'direct hit' by a nuke. The bomb is set off high in the upper atmosphere...optimally in a central location, such as over Gary's house. No blast impact on the ground, but the power goes out to a distance depending on the altitude and the power of the bomb.

I personally believe that only in the very worst cases would Duraspark trucks die...those modules are fairly basic, as well as robust. The biggest problem would be the power grid, with all those transformers blowing. Worst case has the power out for years, with millions dying before the power comes back, if it ever does.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Maybe we just dropped a small one on North Korea's internet?

Old 12-22-2014, 06:01 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
It's all the wiring that act as antenna's.
Bringing the power surge right into -whatever- device.

The transistors and diodes in the DSII box would pop.
The electronic regulator in the alternator would go too.

Most windings would be fine.
You don't really have to worry about the ignition coil, or a 1G w/ mechanical voltage regulator.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:30 PM
6978sghfbjklgdfsjhkl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cutting the the core of it..

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
It's all the wiring that act as antenna's.
Bringing the power surge right into -whatever- device.

The transistors and diodes in the DSII box would pop.
The electronic regulator in the alternator would go too.

Most windings would be fine.
You don't really have to worry about the ignition coil, or a 1G mechanical voltage regulator.
All of the engines that came from Ford originally in this year range of vehicles can be converted very easily to a points system with some available factory parts. The 1G alt would probably work as well?

Whether it would be wise to be "on the road" to "who knows where" with how much fuel to spare might be a whole n'other conversation to be had with those you trust and hold dear at that particular time... or better yet...PRIOR to..

Old 12-22-2014, 06:39 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I meant to say it would be easy to revert to a pre-emissions state and have a vehicle that could function in a post apocalyptic environment.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I have seen vehicles get a direct hit from lighting and still keep on going with no issues. Also I have seen lighting take out vehicles too. Lighting is one heck of a EMP too!

Years,years ago I took a direct hit in my front trees, I lost some electronics and others never affected. The work truck was not so lucky though! They had to replace just about every electronic modal in it LOL! I never did tell them it was lighting strike as that F*%$#%&^& company would try using my home owners insurance as the vehicle was parked at home when it got toasted.

I think the EMP is over rated by these stupid TV shows. Unless you are at ground zero, I doubt it would be any worse that a common lighting strike near by.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
I have seen vehicles get a direct hit from lighting and still keep on going with no issues. Also I have seen lighting take out vehicles too. Lighting is one heck of a EMP too!

Years,years ago I took a direct hit in my front trees, I lost some electronics and others never affected. The work truck was not so lucky though! They had to replace just about every electronic modal in it LOL! I never did tell them it was lighting strike as that F*%$#%&^& company would try using my home owners insurance as the vehicle was parked at home when it got toasted.

I think the EMP is over rated by these stupid TV shows. Unless you are at ground zero, I doubt it would be any worse that a common lighting strike near by.
Check out starfish prime. In the50s the doe tested h bombs in space. Screwed up lots of electronics in Hawaii...... From a test over the bikini atoll a few thousand miles away. At 120 miles up.

Quick Reply: Bug out my Bullnose