Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

4R70w Transmission; Building, Rebuilding, Repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 11:01 AM
97_Mountaineer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 4R70w Transmission; Building, Rebuilding, Repair

I'm just trying to build a stock 4R70w Transmission. Reverse worked the first time, no forward gears. Only second Gear works this time. Lol
This all started with a transmission leak coming from the bell housing. I brought the SUV to "Rapid Transmission" in La Mesa, CA, to have the leak repaired. They removed the trans and found a tiny crack on the front of the Torque Converter was the cause of the leak. Instead of contacting me at this time about replacing the TC to fix the leak, they completely disassembled the transmission. Then told me it needs to be rebuilt for $2,500. The trans worked perfect, it just had a leak. The only alternative they offered was to reassemble and reinstall it with all the old parts for $589, Still Leaking!! I reclaimed the parts in boxes and had the SUV towed for $389 + towing.
I ordered a master rebuild kit which included the; Reverse Band, Accumulator Pistons, Seals, Gaskets and Filter. I added the OD Band, Servo Pistons & Covers, Torque Converter and 14qts Mercon V.
I Spent a lot of time gathering information online. You have to use multiple sources to get a more complete knowledge base because nobody has the whole story in one place. I did what I could with what was available. Twice now I haven't done it right, but I'm learning more each time. I'll figure it out eventually.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:50 AM
DarrinBC
Senior User
Please feel free to give me a call at 317-514-0816 or email me at darrin@bcatransmissions.com

I can at the very least help walk you through things that you might need help with. That said, it would be great to do as much of this online as possible to help others out if they ever find themselves in the same position.

Do you not have reverse now and only 2nd?

D

Old 12-22-2014, 12:14 PM
97_Mountaineer
New User
Only Second gear

Thanks for the reply,
Today is only second gear actually working. I'll credit that to the OD band. It seems that none of the clutches are working. I've been checking pressures; Line, EPC and Forward clutch. I haven't been able to find specs. for the clutches; Forward, Direct and Intermediate. I really want to know the path of fluid for the circuits so that I can go through them one at a time to make sure that they're clear and the pistons are working. Do you know of any diagrams for the fluid circuit paths?
Thanks, NP
P.S. I have a diagram called: "Transmission Air Test Plate". I think I'm supposed to be able to activate each of the clutch pistons by pressurizing the appropriate port on the valve body.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:57 PM
DarrinBC
Senior User
How much of a hurry are you in? I need to take and upload some pictures. With those I can show you where to apply air with an air gun like the one pictured below to air test the clutches. Do I have a couple of days?

D

For now though, have a look at the pic in the following link and make sure you have that pin on the shift lever in the correct slot on the manual valve. What you will be looking at is what is in the red outlined box.

http://www.bcatransmissions.com/leverslot.JPG

Old 01-06-2015, 09:57 AM
DarrinBC
Senior User
Just checking in to see if you got everything sorted out or if you need more help.

D