6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:31 PM
RB-F250
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Death Wobble

Title says it all. Had a touch of the Death Wobble today, or whatever you want to call it. Truck is stock at 29,000 miles. I put some slightly nicer maxxis tires on about 2 years ago now. They are in pretty good shape still so not sure if that could be my route cause. I guess I'll start by making sure the tires are inflated property and since I haven't cleaned the truck in a while I'm make sure I get rims cleaned up well.

I have the stock stabilizer, so maybe I'll upgrade to a dual one by rancho, but called the dealership and hopefully I hear from them soon to get them looking at it before I consider doing anything.

Any suggestion I'll take if you got them. I guess I'm just posting to let people know about my process with getting it fixed.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:51 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have the tires and wheels re-balanced. That changes as the tires wear.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:56 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
New shocks, either 5100's or 9000's plus the Bilistein steering stabilizer and lets not forget Rancho 7000 series dual steering stabalizer system. That'll do it. Did it for me.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Gotsmoke12
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
If your new tires are similar to stock size, I would suggest Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer. That took care of my issue on stock tire size(18's)and my truck also feels more planted with better shocks. However, when I put my cooper tires on (35x12.5x20) in the summer then I feel more road feedback in the steering wheel. I'm thinking that the dual stabilizer setup would take of that situation.
Hope that helps

Old 12-21-2014, 07:37 PM
RB-F250
Senior User
I'll probably get the wheel balanced and checked tomorrow if I can, hopefully that starts to clear up the issue.

Originally Posted by cabindoc
New shocks, either 5100's or 9000's plus the Bilistein steering stabilizer and lets not forget Rancho 7000 series dual steering stabalizer system. That'll do it. Did it for me.
Yeah, I've been considering lifting the truck, but I'd also rather stay away from making this whole thing worse, although I figure a leveling kit won't do much harm.

Don't have a lot of cash to spend right now, but I'll probably add the stabilizer first and then new shocks when I can. Any reason to favor bilistein over rancho? How long/miles has it been since you added the stabilizer? I know a lot of people say it's just a big bandaid for the issue, but I've seen a number of people add it and be done with the issue as well.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:41 PM
RB-F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gotsmoke12
If your new tires are similar to stock size, I would suggest Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer. That took care of my issue on stock tire size(18's)and my truck also feels more planted with better shocks. However, when I put my cooper tires on (35x12.5x20) in the summer then I feel more road feedback in the steering wheel. I'm thinking that the dual stabilizer setup would take of that situation.
Hope that helps
Like the sounds of that! Current tires are ~33 I think, been considering bigger for the next round. Those 35's fit fine with stock height or did you have to do anything for that?

Old 12-22-2014, 09:25 AM
RB-F250
Senior User
Update:

So not even 24hr later, I'm in the shop. Heritage Ford in VT called back first thing and took me in right away. Was there for probably a bit over an hour. Everything looked over, and double checked and a new steering stabilizer was installed, no charge.

The service advisor says it was an "upgraded" one, but I suspect it's the same and is just new (if anyone has an original part number I can cross reference that with what is on the service record). Regardless it feels a good amount tighter now, so I think my old one just got sloppy. They also added some tire pressure as well, which I hadn't checked since the temperature drop so I'm sure that was also a factor as some had mentioned.

This did achieve 1) This problem with my truck is now at least documented if it persists and 2) It does seem to be much better, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Second note:

I also called Rancho, they said I can't add the stabilizer until I do a 2-2.5 inch level. I guess my intention was to skip the leveling kits and add larger Rancho springs and shocks to the front, he also said I needed to add bump stop extensions? I didn't think the bump stops were necessary. Anyone with information on that/ where to get them for just a 2inch level?

This reinforcement goal of mine won't happen right away, but is something I'd like to do in the near future. Not looking to turn this into a lift thread, but any advice on the aforementioned will be helpful!

Old 12-22-2014, 11:49 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rancho is telling you that you need the level kit for their dual stabilizer setup.
If you just want to replace the single stock stabilizer then go with the Bilstein 5100 replacement. The rancho single stabilizer seems to be similiar to the stock stabilizer.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:14 PM
RB-F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by snelldawg
Rancho is telling you that you need the level kit for their dual stabilizer setup.
If you just want to replace the single stock stabilizer then go with the Bilstein 5100 replacement. The rancho single stabilizer seems to be similiar to the stock stabilizer.
Right now I'm happy with the fix, but I think maybe in the future I would swap to 2inch larger springs and longer shocks on the front and add the dual setup. I've seen some leave the stock mono on when they do this. My concern is he mentioned the need for swapping out or adding an extension to the bump stops. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I haven't seen a kit to make the bump stops longer for a 2inch lift in the front/ didn't know it was necessary.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
I received a letter from Ford a few years ago for my 05 Super Duty on the death wobble topic and their recommendation was to make sure the tires are properly inflated.

I know of one person with a 09 Super Duty that had the death wobble and the Ford shop threw some parts at it that yielded some improvements but never completely fixed the problem. After he switched to a different brand of tire the problem went away for good.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:28 PM
miner999r
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't know if the same issue but this was in my trucks history:

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Customer Comments
Tech Comments

FRONT END JUMPS ALL OVER ROAD WHEN HITTING BUMPS
VERIFY CONCERN. CK OASIS. FOUND TSB 11 6 14 STEERING WHEEL OSCILLATION. CARRY OUT TSB AND REPLACE STEERINGDAMPER ASSEMBLY. R&R DAMPER AND RETEST,

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Old 12-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Gotsmoke12
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RB-F250
Like the sounds of that! Current tires are ~33 I think, been considering bigger for the next round. Those 35's fit fine with stock height or did you have to do anything for that?
For the 35's I added the Ready Lift 1.5" leveling kit in the front and then also chose(actually kinda guessed) a -12 offset (if I remember right) on my 20" rims.

It's great that your dealer took good care of you, but I too am suspicious that it is just a new replacement. Hopefully the "stock upgrade" is all you need, but if not lots of guys have good results with the Bilsteins and it's not to pricey either.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:50 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
-If you don't care for the downward rake look, add 2-2.5 level kit. I did it myself for under $100
- if you do, you can and should do the Rancho dual stabalizer
-If you do, you will simply need longer shocks. either 5100's or Rancho's. My 5100's lasted 50k miles. I'm hoping the ranchos will last that long.
- you can change your damper to Bilistein and you should notice an improvement.
-I'll post some numbers in the next post. Cant cut and paste twice.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:53 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
This from Rancho direct;

QUOTE=Rancho Suspension]Front 2.5"
RS999043
Rear
RS999047

steering stabilizers
RS7405 (x2) these are the monotubes they will be firmer than the RS5405 (x2). This part number is the traditional twin tube design. Works great but I prefer monotubes in a dual application on our trucks.
I like the monotubes, just "tightens" up the front a lot more.
Frugal Mechanic - Auto Parts Search Engine Has a lot of the best pricing.
If you are patient we offer a shock rebate in the spring too.

Did this to my truck and feels great.