460 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:28 PM
sarah.amber
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
460 won't start

So I have 1996 Ford F250 460 that all of suddenly doesn't want to start. It cranks but does not fire. Replaced the coil and the ignition control module fuel filter checked the fuel pump and it's pumping fuel from both tanks. Couple months ago it was, every once in while, wouldn't want to start but would after a few minutes, or would quite running but would start back up after a minute. And then just yesterday it wouldn't start at all. Any ideas.... I am out and getting frustrated....

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-22-2014, 05:21 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
(Edit) Welcome to the forum!

You need to determine if you are missing spark or fuel.
You say it that sometimes it would quit, and sometimes it wouldn't start.

Does your truck have electric in-tank fuel pumps, or a single mechanical pump on the timing case?
Do you have a multimeter?

Remove the air cleaner and open the choke.
Look down the primary throttle bores while working the throttle linkage.
Do you see fuel squirting from below the venturis?

If so -good- you have fuel making it into the engine :

Unplug the distributor and check for resistance across the orange and purple wires of the distributor.
You should see between 400 and 900 ohms.
If not, the ignition pickup inside the distributor has failed.

While you have the distributor unplugged, test the black wire to the engine block.
You should see 0 ohms (or close to it)

This is the only ground in a DuraSpark II system, and if the wire inside the distributor is loose or frayed you get no spark.

This seems to be the only component you haven't replaced.
Unless the 'horseshoe' coil connector is bad.
I had that happen to me once.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:15 PM
sarah.amber
New User
Replaced the whole distributor, and the starter cylinoid, had the starter bench tested, tested fine, checked every fuss charged battery and still only cranking. And can't figure out the horse shoe connector.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:31 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

So you're missing spark and do have fuel pumping to the carburetor while the starter is engaged?

The green wire from the coil connector goes to the ignition module.
When the module gets signal from the distributor, it opens this ground and the coil creates a spark.
The red wire of the connector should have power with the key in 'run' and 'start'.

Why are you testing the starter and replacing the solenoid if "the starter cranks but does not fire"???

Old 12-28-2014, 04:27 PM
sarah.amber
New User
Ok so now we have spark. And it is still turning over, but im not sure if the truck is out of time, or if it is not getting fuel. The injectors are buzzing, and the fuel pump is pumping, and this truck does not have a carborator so im not sure how to check and see if we are getting fuel to the engine. Its either a multi-port injection system or a throttle body, but if its a throttle body is a strange looking one. Im more famliar with the dodges engine configuration, so im not sure exactly what im looking at. And im not sure how to see if we are for sure getting fuel at the engine, would I just crack open the fuel rail to check that?

Old 12-28-2014, 04:51 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

OMG, I first read your post as "1986"

It's a batch fire system.
Have you tried giving it a shot of ether?

Do you have a noid light to connect to one of the injectors?

Old 12-28-2014, 08:00 PM
sarah.amber
New User
Are you just talking about an electrical tester with a light? And where would I spray the ether?

Old 12-29-2014, 05:10 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Spraying some starting fluid into the engine from the air cleaner housing and cranking it over would be a quick check that ignition was good and it is a fuel issue.

Test for fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail.
Attach a gauge and see if you get at least 35psi, and it holds.

Remove the vacuum line from the FPR and check for fuel there.
If it is wet, change the fuel pressure regulator.

You say the injectors are buzzing and you do have spark.
A noid light is set up so it can plug right in to the injector harness.
They are pretty specific to brand/generation of vehicle.

I think pulling codes would be the first place I'd start, but it doesn't sound like you have a code reader, nor can you drive it to a mechanic or store.

How did the fuel filter look when you replaced it?

Intermittent no start and quitting while running getting progressively worse, could be the computer itself, since you seem to have replaced the entire ignition (coil, distributor, ICM)

Old 01-05-2015, 01:12 PM
sarah.amber
New User
So we put the fuel pressure tester and no pressure but the pressure tester release valve was broken so I don't know if that could have been a peoblem.

Sprayed starting fluid into the air intake and still no start.

Coming to the conclusion it's the computer itself.

Unless there is still something I am missing.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:27 AM
msp1972
Freshman User
Unhappy MY 97 F350 IS DOING THE SAME THING!!

97 F350 460 EFI. When I turn my KOEO you hear the fuel pump and electrical under the hood. But then it keeps repeating itself maybe 4-5 times other times just once initially. I'll be driving and it will suddenly just stop, no spark. I've changed the coil and that's not it. When I check the spark, sometimes it will have a spark on the plug maybe once or twice but then no spark. Now I do have a dump bed and before fueling I have to raise the bed. This also caused the engine to shut down but lately that hasn't been a problem for me. Sometimes if you leave it be for a little while, sometimes a long while, it will start up no problem. Great gas hog truck but I can't locate the problem. I would think if it was a computer problem it would give a code no?
M.R.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:05 PM
broncridin300
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
76’ F-250 Ranger package 460

Hey man I was reading your threads and think I could definitely get some help from you! Same issue but it’s carbureted, replaced the spark plugs and wires as well as the distributor rotor and cap, and new MSD ignition coils. I took the fuel line off and it was pressurized so I’m thinking carb or spark issue. 460 big block
@ArdWrknTrk

Old 01-09-2022, 11:22 AM
msp1972
Freshman User
Originally Posted by msp1972
97 F350 460 EFI. When I turn my KOEO you hear the fuel pump and electrical under the hood. But then it keeps repeating itself maybe 4-5 times other times just once initially. I'll be driving and it will suddenly just stop, no spark. I've changed the coil and that's not it. When I check the spark, sometimes it will have a spark on the plug maybe once or twice but then no spark. Now I do have a dump bed and before fueling I have to raise the bed. This also caused the engine to shut down but lately that hasn't been a problem for me. Sometimes if you leave it be for a little while, sometimes a long while, it will start up no problem. Great gas hog truck but I can't locate the problem. I would think if it was a computer problem it would give a code no?
M.R.
The problem ended up being a Crack in the stator. I got the part on rockauto put it inside the distributor and drove away.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-23-2023, 09:24 PM
Lonnie Lay
4wd High
Originally Posted by sarah.amber
So I have 1996 Ford F250 460 that all of suddenly doesn't want to start. It cranks but does not fire. Replaced the coil and the ignition control module fuel filter checked the fuel pump and it's pumping fuel from both tanks. Couple months ago it was, every once in while, wouldn't want to start but would after a few minutes, or would quite running but would start back up after a minute. And then just yesterday it wouldn't start at all. Any ideas.... I am out and getting frustrated....
my brother has a 1996 f450 with the 460 engine , he can be driving down the road and it shuts off and he has to let it set for like 20 minutes and it starts back, or he can drive some where shut it off and go back to start it and it will not start, turns over but dosent get fire untill it sets for about 20 minutes , any ideas?

Old 03-23-2023, 09:33 PM
Lonnie Lay
4wd High
1996 ford f450 with the 460 engine, dies while driving , let it set fro 20 minutes or so and starts back or drive it somewhere and shut it off then get back in it to leave and turns over but will not start , no fire , any ideas?