1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Tragedy Has Struck my Ford

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:37 PM
JordanL91
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tragedy Has Struck my Ford

If some of you recall my engine build forum of my '86 F150 XLT Lariat, you would know the end result that came from the build. For those who missed the memo https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1321079-86-f150-5-0-302-efi-rebuild.html I had a fender bender a few weeks after completing the closet monster. I needed a new frame as the vehicle received frame damage, I started looking for a new frame to start the new build, after purchasing one off of a fellow FTE member "Barrelgal" I was in the clear to start the new build. I continued to drive it from time to time knowing it was a bit risky... but nothing prepared me for the misfortune that would follow.

I started her up on a beautiful 70 degree day, fall was coming and the sky had all sort of colors in it. Windows down and a few classic rock tunes I was sure to ride into the sunset. I had a great ride, everything was memorable, she had a few rough turns from the frame being bent but I was ok overall. I may or may not have done a take off on a mile stretch. All of a sudden she started to smell of gas, I slow down and she starts to rumble and sputter. Light smoke begins to appear from under the hood. I pull into a parking lot and turn her off immediately. I pop the hood and
<table width="100%" style="width: 100%; mso-cellspacing: .7pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 4.5pt 4.5pt 4.5pt 4.5pt;" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes;"><td valign="top" style="padding: 4.5pt; border: rgb(0, 0, 0); border-image: none; background-color: transparent;"></td><td valign="top" style="padding: 4.5pt; border: rgb(0, 0, 0); border-image: none; background-color: transparent;">
</td></tr></tbody></table> MY ENGINE ENGULFS IN FLAMES!! I hadn't mounted the fire extinguisher I kept telling myself " Ill get around to it.." Worst mistake of my life...
If one knew the instant pain of what it feels like to see all the time and money spent burn to the ground, no one would wish it on their worst enemy. On a positive note, I was able to recover the engine. Now ill start with my best foot forward and dedicate this build "Guero Falso" to my 86 F150. It will be better and stronger! No time to rebuild it a third time... This is the start of perfection, I want to bring a truck that will make people open their eyes to the best generation of Ford Trucks!!

Old 12-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Bummer!!!! Thanks for the reminder - I'll get fire extinguishers for my trucks, plural.

And, I'm anxious to see what you come up with for the new one. But, what caused the fire? And, what do you think of the EFI system? Would you do it again?

Old 12-20-2014, 02:06 PM
JordanL91
Tuned

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Bummer!!!! Thanks for the reminder - I'll get fire extinguishers for my trucks, plural.

And, I'm anxious to see what you come up with for the new one. But, what caused the fire? And, what do you think of the EFI system? Would you do it again?

EFI system was good, The regulator leaked onto my headers. I would recommend DO NOT MOUNT DIRECTLY ABOVE THE HEADERS ON THE FIREWALL. I have upgraded to the 2.0 Fast EFI system and Ill know in the end if it was worth the 1K price increase. Ive actually started the project about 2 weeks ago, its going quite nicely actually

Old 12-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yuk! That's UGLY!!!! Man, what a lesson that is. And, that is one problem with EFI - they use higher pressure on the fuel system so leaks are even more of a hazard. But, carbs can leak too.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:52 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
But, carbs can leak too.
Tell me about it!

After installing the Edelbrock 1406 and Performer manifold on my war wagon, I had to fashion some sort of coupling between the stock hard line coming up from my fuel pump and the barbed fitting on the carb. I found a piece of hose on the bench and figured that will do. Turns out it was not fuel line and a couple of weeks later, it had swelled and split. I smelled the gas and found literally pools of gas on my intake manifold. Pure luck that my truck does not look like Jordan's.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014
Tell me about it!

After installing the Edelbrock 1406 and Performer manifold on my war wagon, I had to fashion some sort of coupling between the stock hard line coming up from my fuel pump and the barbed fitting on the carb. I found a piece of hose on the bench and figured that will do. Turns out it was not fuel line and a couple of weeks later, it had swelled and split. I smelled the gas and found literally pools of gas on my intake manifold. Pure luck that my truck does not look like Jordan's.
And, did you do like many and run that rubber line right past the dizzy and all of those plug wires? I worry about the insulation breaking down and the spark going through the insulation of the plug wire and into the gas line. Logic tells me it won't do that as the rubber is very thick, and even if it did there's no oxygen in the fuel line to allow the fuel to catch, but...........

Old 12-20-2014, 05:24 PM
1980Supercab
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow....so sorry Bro.

As an retired Firefighter, I've been to MANY car fires and it's nearly impossible to put one out quick enough to save the vehicle. You MIGHT have succeeded if you had a LARGE fire extinguisher or two even, but it's tough as they burn very fast and the fumes are very toxic.

Of course everyone should keep a fire extinguisher in their vehicle just in case.

Glad you are safe and don't beat yourself up over it.
I look forward to your next project.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:06 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
And, did you do like many and run that rubber line right past the dizzy and all of those plug wires? I worry about the insulation breaking down and the spark going through the insulation of the plug wire and into the gas line. Logic tells me it won't do that as the rubber is very thick, and even if it did there's no oxygen in the fuel line to allow the fuel to catch, but...........
Oh, I hear ya!!!!

Actually was just 4" of line right at the carb. Still all it takes to start leaking and anything that catches fire is going to burn hard.

Just really remarkable that I was lucky enough that it did not catch fire.

Speaking of insulation breaking down, we used to think it was great fun to open the hood of a poorly maintained car at night just to watch the light show coming off the wires.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yup, I've seen the fireworks many, many a time on friend's cars.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:33 PM
JordanL91
Tuned
Yuk! That's UGLY!!!! Man, what a lesson that is. And, that is one problem with EFI - they use higher pressure on the fuel system so leaks are even more of a hazard. But, carbs can leak too.

I now have to figure a better & convenient placement for the regulator now. I'm extremely excited for this new build. Although I have a strange suspicion I may loose a couple HP I tried to salvage the exhaust system but dollar amount to recondition+time=More $$ than buying new...

Originally Posted by 1980Supercab
Wow....so sorry Bro.

As an retired Firefighter, I've been to MANY car fires and it's nearly impossible to put one out quick enough to save the vehicle. You MIGHT have succeeded if you had a LARGE fire extinguisher or two even, but it's tough as they burn very fast and the fumes are very toxic.

Of course everyone should keep a fire extinguisher in their vehicle just in case.

Glad you are safe and don't beat yourself up over it.
I look forward to your next project.

Thank you for your sincerity and sympathy, It lit up extremely quickly and having high octane fuel in the truck and both tanks both full probably didn't help either... I was debating of integrating a racing quick release engine bay extinguisher with a couple cab extinguisher for the delayed response but my buds are telling me Im just paranoid, who knows? Plus the system gets pricey quick... if it were a $250 safety net Id be all in!!

I was also thinking about braided stainless steel lines but as far as Comp Cams's is concerned, this would void warranty. So that's out the window.. Lets see what we can make of this all.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Fuel hose degrades from the inside, mostly. It looks fine, but it ain't. Even 3 or 4 psi from a mechanical fuel pump - it's pretty scary how far and wide fuel will spray when a hose splits. If it's more than a few years old it's cheap insurance to replace. Use new clamps, too.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:46 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
What does the sheathing on a fuel line have to do with the cam, or warranty?

Any Russell, Earl's, Aeroquip, etc.. hose has a suitable liner for the fluid it is carrying.

ETA; not NEARLY as far and wide as @45 psi. (about nine times as much as a carb)

Sorry for your loss

Old 12-20-2014, 08:15 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Wow, that is a total bummer. At least it didn't catch fire in your garage. Thats a mess you don't want. Good luck on the rebuild.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:01 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bummer. Sorry to hear about your loss.

The coolest thing I ever saw was an old grizzled man driving a 50's Chevy pickup when it coughed and died pulling away from a light. He popped the hood and it was on fire. Without missing a beat and as cool as the Duke himself, he pulled out a knife, cut the upper radiator hose and the spray put out the flames. He then pushed the truck to the side of the road.

Good luck on the rebuild and don't forget the fire extinguisher.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:51 AM
maytag906
Posting Guru
WOW. Sorry for your loss, glad you or no one else was injured.

Quick Reply: Tragedy Has Struck my Ford