1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Tragedy Has Struck my Ford

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 11:15 AM
tree medics
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, about your truck. I was very lucky with my 1985 f-700 aerial lift truck. While I was on holidays, my employees were doing a pruning job. Lance was in the bucket at the time when, Mason yelled out the truck is on fire. Lance got down out of the bucket, ran for the fire extinguisher and put it out. Very lucky there was only about $700.00 damage to the wiring. I still had about $50,000.00 to pay on the loan.

What happened was one of the hydraulic brake lines burst spraying ATF fluid all over the hot engine. As I said I got very very lucky.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:41 AM
JordanL91
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Fuel hose degrades from the inside, mostly. It looks fine, but it ain't. Even 3 or 4 psi from a mechanical fuel pump - it's pretty scary how far and wide fuel will spray when a hose splits. If it's more than a few years old it's cheap insurance to replace. Use new clamps, too.

Well with the kits Ive purchased, both 1.0 & 2.0 (Current) they include a very nice set of hose and hose fittings Hose is SAE 30R9, from what I understand this is a very reliable and durable hose. Granted it still melts in high heat...

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
What does the sheathing on a fuel line have to do with the cam, or warranty?

Any Russell, Earl's, Aeroquip, etc.. hose has a suitable liner for the fluid it is carrying.

ETA; not NEARLY as far and wide as @45 psi. (about nine times as much as a carb)

Sorry for your loss

Comp Cams is the company that owns the Fast Company that produces the fuel injection system. The lines "are specifically engineered with the lines provided, anything that is not in the kit will be considered as altering of the product in which will void all warranties."

I was not specifically talking about my cam.

Originally Posted by 86fordtruck
Wow, that is a total bummer. At least it didn't catch fire in your garage. Thats a mess you don't want. Good luck on the rebuild.

That's true Id hate to lose my truck and my man cave..

Originally Posted by f100beatertruck
Bummer. Sorry to hear about your loss.

The coolest thing I ever saw was an old grizzled man driving a 50's Chevy pickup when it coughed and died pulling away from a light. He popped the hood and it was on fire. Without missing a beat and as cool as the Duke himself, he pulled out a knife, cut the upper radiator hose and the spray put out the flames. He then pushed the truck to the side of the road.

Good luck on the rebuild and don't forget the fire extinguisher.

Man that's awesome, I aspire to be like this gentleman in the future, I always have a nice assisted pocket knife but I wouldn't have thought to do this.. now I will haha

Old 12-21-2014, 11:52 AM
JordanL91
Tuned
Ive attached some pictures of what the engine looked like after pulling it out. (Try not to cringe)

Old 12-21-2014, 12:00 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Tried and failed!

<cringe!>(cringe!)

Do you have any pics after cleaning?

Really have to hand it to you, carrying on after a disaster like that.</cringe!>

Old 12-21-2014, 01:22 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I don't know if it's "paranoia" though fire is one of those things that bothers me. Everyone here at a site like FTE has truck fever to some degree or another and takes pains to keep 'em running. Whether it's modern computer controlled rigs with faulty brake switches (or was it the cruise control?) or vintage trucks and and critters chewing on wires, leaves in the heater box, it all adds up to some level of concern.

Sure, that's what insurance is for but it's not going to replace all the hours/days/weeks spent repairing or restoring. Have battery cutout switch on the 64 and go around the house unplugging everything if going away for a few days.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:59 PM
JordanL91
Tuned
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014
Tried and failed!

<cringe!>(cringe!)

Do you have any pics after cleaning?

Really have to hand it to you, carrying on after a disaster like that.</cringe!>

As you can see I still had the FRAM oil filter, I didn't get to fully break it in :/

I started taking everything apart,

1. valve covers come off.. no problem
2. gasket melted onto heads.. huge pain to scrape off
3. Remove Intake
4.Start removing head bolts .. One of the heads on the bolt strips on the passenger side!
4.1. Bolt extractor.. doesn't work
4.2. Grind and chisel bolt out.. No damage to heads!! Very salvageable
5. Notice rust on Cylinder walls, Honed cylinders 1,3,5,7 & 8 (It seems the water from the fire fighters made its way into the cylinders)
6. Disassemble heads
7. Sand blast heads, intake, valve covers..

To Be Continued...

Old 12-21-2014, 05:22 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Interesting to see the blue paint reemerge. All that black stuff is mainly soot. Nasty clean up job, but looks like you had a lot into this engine already. Don't think the starter and alternator will make it. Fire may have damaged wire insulation internally.

I read years ago that fire damaged parts were quite useable. Some engine builders felt that the heat cycle seasoned the castings and made them more stable. I'd be concerned with warpage, but I don't think the block or internals would be affected.

How did it look in the crankcase and the lifter valley?

This rise from the ashes will be interesting to watch. I lost a couple parts vehicles to a grass fire last year. One was an Explorer with the 8.8 disc brake LS rear. Have not scrapped it yet, may look over that diff before I do.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:34 AM
JordanL91
Tuned
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014
Interesting to see the blue paint reemerge. All that black stuff is mainly soot. Nasty clean up job, but looks like you had a lot into this engine already. Don't think the starter and alternator will make it. Fire may have damaged wire insulation internally.

I read years ago that fire damaged parts were quite useable. Some engine builders felt that the heat cycle seasoned the castings and made them more stable. I'd be concerned with warpage, but I don't think the block or internals would be affected.

How did it look in the crankcase and the lifter valley?

This rise from the ashes will be interesting to watch. I lost a couple parts vehicles to a grass fire last year. One was an Explorer with the 8.8 disc brake LS rear. Have not scrapped it yet, may look over that diff before I do.
EDIT: Hopefully the starter works, Battery was fried & melted which sucks it was only 4 days old at $220. Like someone said that's what insurance is for... I got lucky and had proper coverage and got all my money back and bought the salvage for $200! Whatta Deal!!!
Lifter valley had no imperfections that I saw. Pushrods, tappets and roller rocker arms were in great shape. When I get a chance ill post pictures of what I have spread out

Old 12-25-2014, 09:37 AM
JordanL91
Tuned
Merry Christmas!! I started cleaning up the AOD yesterday, it was going smoothly until I noticed the rear seal of the rear shaft housing looked to be damaged. I opened the housing to find the speedo gears melted and broken and my rear sleeve had fused with the seal. Im looking online to figure out what I need to buy in order to have the transmission in working condition, Does anyone know the number of gears my 2WD F150 takes for the speedo? Im also in need of a good AOD mechanical diagram.. Once again Merry Christmas!! Pictures will be up later today

Old 12-25-2014, 09:59 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You need the rear end ratio to determine the drive and driven gear colors.
If your door tag is unreadable there should be a stamped metal tag bolted to the differential cover.

Edit: if only melted, you may still be able to tell what color they are?

Old 12-25-2014, 10:26 AM
JordanL91
Tuned

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
You need the rear end ratio to determine the drive and driven gear colors.
If your door tag is unreadable there should be a stamped metal tag bolted to the differential cover.

Edit: if only melted, you may still be able to tell what color they are?

Unfortunately I scrapped the Truck but I did come across an old picture I took a few years back..

Old 12-25-2014, 04:43 PM
I'mforgiven
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a shame!

Good luck on the build.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 AM
JordanL91
Tuned
Started working on the tranny, it was a very strenuous task. The transmission had received more damage than expected. The o-ring on the dipstick tube melted, the neutral safety switch was ruined. The tail shaft is warped, speed sensor melted and needed new gaskets. Changed the torque converter for fun. A higher stall TCI than the original one installed.

Sandblasted the heads, block and valve covers. This is the finished product of the covers.

Finished product after sandblasting & assembly (Teaser of new tranny Dipstick )

Assembled Heads

Organization is always important. Its crucial everything goes back as it came out..

The process is tedious making the progression slow. I will follow up with the block 90% assembled...

Old 01-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
At least there is progress, maybe along with crying. Hang in there!

Old 01-20-2015, 11:35 AM
JordanL91
Tuned
Progress is always a good thing, There are a few tears less than curse words lol

Quick Reply: Tragedy Has Struck my Ford