Sponsored by:

Well this sux...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Mr. Crab
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this sux...

Went to the beach at Cape Hatteras the weekend before Thanksgiving. Weather was great and the fishing was awesome! We left on Sunday around 1:00 PM, and it started to rain. Good, I say to myself, this will help loosen sand and salt so it will come off that much easier when I wash. Still on Hwy 12 when we slowed for a construction zone. Yes, they actually work on Sundays! Passed a truck repainting lines, and didn't think anything of it, aside that it's unusual to be painting on Sunday, and even odder to be painting in the rain.

Well, got home, and because it was still raining lightly, I cheated and took it through a car wash. The next day I took care of the underside with the sprinkler. Didn't really think too much about the fact that the topside didn't look clean because it was still raining as I drove home after the car wash. Didn't have a chance to wash again until this past week. This time I hand washed, and immediately noticed I had a BIG problem. There was grime on the truck that simply will not come off with any amount of scrubbing. You see, apparently some of that paint was floating on the surface when I drove by, and it went everywhere. The only part of the truck untouched is the roof.

Yesterday afternoon, I started to work on the problem aggressively. The only thing I've found that works is rubbing compound, and all the elbow grease you can bring. This of course, means that when I'm done, I need to re-apply wax.

I'm about 3/4 done with the compound at this point. Good grief that's a lot of truck! I hope I can still lift my arms for the wax part, LOL!

Next time, I'll find a detailer. I don't even care what it costs.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Old 12-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Plex
Freshman User
Acetone is your friend in this situation - it will take off the new paint and leave the old stuff alone (SHOULD definitely test it in an inconspicuous area first)

Old 12-20-2014, 11:54 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Clay bar then wax.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Mr. Crab
Mountain Pass
Apoc, you got that dead to rights, LOL!

Plex, I was afraid to try anything stronger than underground cable cleaner, which didn't do a darned thing.

Mark, clay wasn't going to move this stuff. Maybe if I'd gotten to it before it had a chance to really harden, but I didn't know.

Starting the wax now, and just finished one side of the truck. On a bright note, it looks better than it has since the day I brought it home. On the downside, I'm gonna need a damned straw to drink a beer, 'cause I can't lift my arms anymore, LOL!

Old 12-20-2014, 01:52 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Crab

Starting the wax now, and just finished one side of the truck. On a bright note, it looks better than it has since the day I brought it home. On the downside, I'm gonna need a damned straw to drink a beer, 'cause I can't lift my arms anymore, LOL!
That's why I have an orbital.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Mr. Crab
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by mecdac
That's why I have an orbital.
Words of wisdom right there; I've got a PC 7" rotary, but I've never used it with anything more abrasive than wax, and I really don't want to learn on 10 year old paint, as it's still in great shape. I just finished up half of the hood, which didn't have highway marking paint, but did have some pretty gnarly water spots. I figure if I'm gonna wax, might as well do the whole thing, right? Here's the interesting part. I ran out of compound, so I went to Advance to get some more. While there, I saw the Meguire's DA orbital drill attachment.

I wish i'd seen that before. Put that together with a DeWalt 20V drill, and it's like a magic wand. I just did that half hood in about 15 minutes, and it's so much better that I may have to revisit some of my prior work. It might not help (the old) that my old compound was very old. I picked up some of the Meguire's Ultimate to go with the DA, and the resulting finish is like glass.

Brand new first world problem here; once I finish the X, I've got 4 more vehicles to go, LOL! It's still a lot of work, but totally worth it.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Crab
I just did that half hood in about 15 minutes, and it's so much better that I may have to revisit some of my prior work.
I call BS. If I don't see it with my own 2 eyes you're a liar. Tell you what, you come do mine and I'll watch. After I see it I'll post up that you're legit and then you can hold your head up high. You're welcome

Old 12-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Mr. Crab
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
I call BS. If I don't see it with my own 2 eyes you're a liar. Tell you what, you come do mine and I'll watch. After I see it I'll post up that you're legit and then you can hold your head up high. You're welcome
I smell a bit of Tom Sawyer here, LOL!

Old 12-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Rscottc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, did you hook up with some drum???? Drum fishing was great this fall from the obx to topsail island.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:50 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Try Flitz.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:48 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yellow or white stripping . Yellow would give you the only Amarillo Excursion on the road.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:57 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Sorry you had trouble on Hwy 12 - the road was really heavily damaged in the last storm we had. They are definitely working overtime to try and get it back in shape. It was actually closed to all traffic for a few days because of the condition.

Glad you found a solution with the paint removal!

Old 12-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Mr. Crab
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Rscottc
Well, did you hook up with some drum???? Drum fishing was great this fall from the obx to topsail island.
No drum, but we had a blast playing with the blues.

Originally Posted by Misky6.0
Yellow or white stripping . Yellow would give you the only Amarillo Excursion on the road.
Sadly, yellow doesn't look so great over Pueblo Gold. It was def one of a kind, LOL!

Originally Posted by tdappleman
Sorry you had trouble on Hwy 12 - the road was really heavily damaged in the last storm we had. They are definitely working overtime to try and get it back in shape. It was actually closed to all traffic for a few days because of the condition.

Glad you found a solution with the paint removal!
Thanks, and we're regulars, so we know what's been happening. Stayed at OBM at the top of Buxton for the storm on 01-Nov. Over wash was pretty bad. Mother Nature has been relentless this year. Makes me sad for the folks that tough it out.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Rscottc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Mr. Crab;14925062]No drum, but we had a blast playing with the blues.

You're right, the blues can be a blast