Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Ecoboost vs diesel half tons

Old 01-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger1980
Dodge must be doing something right as the ecodiesels are flying off the lots.
I have to agree.

I don't see the payload a turning anyone off. Lots of guys like me don't give a crap as long as we don't exceed rear GAWR. Lots more don't even care to weigh anything.

The EcoBoost is a monster compared to the diesel, but it will still get the job done. If diesel were closer to the price of gas it would make sense for a lot of folks. I plan on test driving one when I look for my next pickup, but I suspect I'll need the ability to tow more than 9000 lbs.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:00 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,445 Likes on 891 Posts
Originally Posted by rossn2
Well said... Most .5 ton trucks don't get worked hard very often and spend most of their lives as daily drivers. Add in the fact that a lot of the owners of these trucks are not use to the special needs that a diesel requires and I'll predict a lot of the RAMs Ecodiesel owners will mistakenly pump gasoline into their truck and then it will be game over.

So, a few years ago at a Ford Dealership in Corpus Christi, a young female sales person comes into the service area asking the Service Manager "It's okay to put unleaded gas in a F-250?"..about 2 min later the owners of that brand-new Lariat truck walked into the Sales Floor. The truck made it half-mile down the road and the engine blew up. Needless to say, they walked away with a brand new-Platinum F-250 at dealer cost (not invoice), and she was terminated.

Oh, I'm one of those EcoDiesel owners you all are bashing.

I have owned three F-150 trucks and the latest was a 2013 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, EcoBoost, 4x4, and couldn't get over 18mpg unless I kept it at 55mph. Towing a 7x14 enclosed trailer with a Harley inside it would get 9mpg. It also had the dreaded stumble on acceleration and also the passenger seat vibration going down the road.

I now get 26-27mpg with a Ram QuadCab Laramie EcoDiesel 4x4, Air Suspension,and with same trailer 16-17mpg. The Engine is a $2000 upgrade from the Hemi V8. The cost of the truck was about the same as the 2013 Lariat..If I get a load of bad fuel that causes issues, the FUEL Station will be paying the repair costs! That's why I keep receipts between fill-ups!
Ok now that you demonstrated what happens when gasoline get's introduced to a diesel engine... How about you introduce the price of the very expensive euro oil and the crazy filter cost $$$$ plus the $0.60-$1.00 extra cost/gallon of diesel over gasoline, plus the cost of the fuel filter to the overall operating cost of the eco diesel the numbers aren't as joyous as one would think.

Here's some more ecodiesel VM motori for your everyone's viewing entertainment.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:03 AM
rossn2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok now that you demonstrated what happens when gasoline get's introduced to a diesel engine... How about you introduce the price of the very expensive euro oil and the crazy filter cost $$$$ plus the $0.60-$1.00 extra cost/gallon of diesel over gasoline, plus the cost of the fuel filter to the overall operating cost of the eco diesel the numbers aren't as joyous as one would think.

Yes..this is a brand new engine to the US market, but the Aftermarket crowd is catching up. There are already atleast Four oils that meet the spec for the engine and one aftermarket oil filters ready and others on the way. And this thing holds almost 11 quarts of full synthetic oil. And the prices are coming down. Also, the OCI for the engine is 10k miles and the Fuel Filter is 30k miles. So, is it really that bad?
Last I checked the Dodge Cummins is 7500 OCI and don't know about the Ford Diesel?

How much do people pay for a service on a Harley every 5k miles?? $300-$500 depending on the dealer.. That's 5 quarts of oil and a filter...

Old 01-04-2015, 07:33 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts

Yes..this is a brand new engine to the US market, but the Aftermarket crowd is catching up. There are already atleast Four oils that meet the spec for the engine and one aftermarket oil filters ready and others on the way. And this thing holds almost 11 quarts of full synthetic oil. And the prices are coming down. Also, the OCI for the engine is 10k miles and the Fuel Filter is 30k miles. So, is it really that bad?
Last I checked the Dodge Cummins is 7500 OCI and don't know about the Ford Diesel?

How much do people pay for a service on a Harley every 5k miles?? $300-$500 depending on the dealer.. That's 5 quarts of oil and a filter...
The harley is a toy much like a boat and that's different. Ford also has advertised an "up to" 10K OCI on the 3.5L engine. Because of the 11qt sump on the ecodiesel, I'd definitely do it but never on the ecoboost. I change my oil every 6000-6500 miles so I guess that makes the cost about the same for routine maintenance.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:23 PM
rossn2
Freshman User
Disagree with the "Harley is a toy" comment.

I have a 2013 HD and have 20k miles on it. It's my primary source of transportation to work and ride it almost daily when I home. Plenty of my buds ride there's to work daily also..

On my 2013 F-150 Ecoboost I changed the oil every 5k miles also..

Old 01-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Disagree with the "Harley is a toy" comment. I have a 2013 HD and have 20k miles on it. It's my primary source of transportation to work and ride it almost daily when I home. Plenty of my buds ride there's to work daily also.. On my 2013 F-150 Ecoboost I changed the oil every 5k miles also..
Just like I'm sure some live out of their RV or commute with their boat. You're in the vast minority.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:53 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom

Just like I'm sure some live out of their RV or commute with their boat. You're in the vast minority.
There are a lot of people that ride their motorcycles as a primary means of transportation in the summer. Heck, my supercharged Mustang is my primary transportation in the summer

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-04-2015, 08:10 PM
BIGRED 7.3L
Elder User
How much further off topic can we get? LOL. Ford ECO vs Diesel, then on to all gas vs. all diesel, and now Harley's. I always enjoy these threads!!

Old 01-05-2015, 06:49 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGRED 7.3L
How much further off topic can we get? LOL. Ford ECO vs Diesel, then on to all gas vs. all diesel, and now Harley's. I always enjoy these threads!!
You make an excellent point sir.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:22 AM
n2umr
Senior User
So by my calculations here is how I see it. I am paying 2.659/gal of 87 for my ecoboost which I am currently averaging 15 due to winter blend and single digit temperatures, I usually get 16.5 to 18. and up to 21 on the highway. It's a 2011 4x4 3.55 rear 6.5 box crewcab. So my cost per mile with a full synthetic oil change is $0.18/mile.

Diesel is currently 3.299/gal here in NY. By the same calculation above with an ecodiesel averaging 23mpg would yield a cost per mile of 0.15/mile.

Over a 10k mile period say a year of driving that's a savings of $300.00, so with an extra charge of 2000.00, it takes me say 5 years to break even.

Yes I know that there are a lot of other variables but diesel just isn't worth it yet to me.

Mark

Old 01-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You're just in the wrong state---diesel as low as $2.39 and gas at $1.69...
Hope you are not in Buffalo.
Joe

Old 01-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mud Doc
Joe
2.19 for diesel at cat rez. 1.91 for gas. I am 20 miles south of buffalo. Regular price is still 3.20 diesel and 2.80 gas off the rez.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:29 AM
n2umr
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mud Doc
Joe
It's not the price it's the price differential that makes a difference, there is 0.70 difference it what you stated that makes my numbers even more to the gas side than the diesel since my calculations were done with a 0.60 differential.

Mark

Old 01-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Atlee
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe where you live, but not where I live. I see very few motorcycles on the road. It's only when I go up to Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway do I see lots of motorbikes.

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
There are a lot of people that ride their motorcycles as a primary means of transportation in the summer. Heck, my supercharged Mustang is my primary transportation in the summer

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Anomic
Senior User
Originally Posted by Atlee
Maybe where you live, but not where I live. I see very few motorcycles on the road. It's only when I go up to Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway do I see lots of motorbikes.
Uh im right next to you and see tonsof people on bikes commuting on i66 daily (gets you HOV lane) even in winter.

Im no diesel fan but it looks like it keeps 350ftlbs+ over 2000rpm run through 8 gears (assuming geared right) should be a very usable combo. I kind of think whinning about those power numbers being weak is dumb; but i drive a 5.4l f250 so what do i know!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecoboost vs diesel half tons