Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Ecoboost vs diesel half tons

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:15 PM
wheelerfreak
Tuned
Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
Modern diesels don't seem much more reliable than gas, and also dont seem to last much longer every time either. Gone are the days of idi mechanical reliability.
This is more true than I think most people want to admit. Even the mentioned TDI's have gone downhill recently with their IP pump issues.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:38 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in Maryland diesel prices are 25-30% higher that regular gas. Not sure why, but it is what it is. Therefore diesel vehicles would need to get 25-30% better economy to be a net zero, there. Then you have the DEF, filter changes, etc.. After buying diesel fuel this weekend for the first time for my new Kubota tractor and seeing the diesel mess all over the ground that I struggled to step around, unless I needed the 20k towing capacity, I would go gas. Definately would stay away from diesel for a daily driver. But that's just me, your mileage may vary

Old 12-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modern diesels don't seem much more reliable than gas, and also dont seem to last much longer every time either. Gone are the days of idi mechanical reliability.
Still go 300k if people stop adding tuners and turbos and methanol inj. Diesel is still thechoice for fleets.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:47 PM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Originally Posted by johnkn
Here in Maryland diesel prices are 25-30% higher that regular gas. Not sure why, but it is what it is. Therefore diesel vehicles would need to get 25-30% better economy to be a net zero, there. Then you have the DEF, filter changes, etc.. After buying diesel fuel this weekend for the first time for my new Kubota tractor and seeing the diesel mess all over the ground that I struggled to step around, unless I needed the 20k towing capacity, I would go gas. Definately would stay away from diesel for a daily driver. But that's just me, your mileage may vary
Next time you fill up, go to the reefer pump. Why pay road tax if you don't have to?

Old 12-22-2014, 11:20 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good thought, but I just purchased a new Kubota BX25D to maintain my few acres. I won't be putting enough fuel through it to warrant driving by my local, regular Shell / Quick Stop station.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can you use the no-road tax pumps without a tax ID? Isn't there some record-keeping involved?
Joe

Old 12-23-2014, 08:56 AM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger1980
Still go 300k if people stop adding tuners and turbos and methanol inj. Diesel is still thechoice for fleets.
Modern gas engines will easily go 300k too.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:58 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by johnkn
This guy knows what hes talking about.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:36 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
There are a couple of things lost in all this.

And that is that the diesel is heavier, therefore payload and towing are reduced in diesels 1/2 tn. Maybe not a killer for the average 1/2 owner.

Secondly diesel emissions. I can see this being problematic for the grocery getter crowd. what oil to run in the winter, what to run in the summer? Regen..DEF, EGR...wrench light drive to clean...what!

Well said... Most .5 ton trucks don't get worked hard very often and spend most of their lives as daily drivers. Add in the fact that a lot of the owners of these trucks are not use to the special needs that a diesel requires and I'll predict a lot of the RAMs Ecodiesel owners will mistakenly pump gasoline into their truck and then it will be game over.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Well said... Most .5 ton trucks don't get worked hard very often and spend most of their lives as daily drivers. Add in the fact that a lot of the owners of these trucks are not use to the special needs that a diesel requires and I'll predict a lot of the RAMs Ecodiesel owners will mistakenly pump gasoline into their truck and then it will be game over.
You say that like there haven't been diesel cars around for decades. If the folks who buy a Golf TDI can find the right nozzle I'm sure those who buy an EcoDiesel Ram can figure it out. The "special needs " just aren't that special IMHO.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:43 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Ranger1980
I don't know if you noticed but lots of talk in recent years about natural gas and gasoline.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:55 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't know if you noticed but lots of talk in recent years about natural gas and gasoline.
Cng is a pain in the *** because of filling station availability and the tank taking up space

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-23-2014, 09:42 PM
BIGRED 7.3L
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tom
You say that like there haven't been diesel cars around for decades. If the folks who buy a Golf TDI can find the right nozzle I'm sure those who buy an EcoDiesel Ram can figure it out. The "special needs " just aren't that special IMHO.

I saw a guy in a new GM truck in Indy a few years ago trying to drain gas out of his diesel. We were at a BP station. BP puts green pump handle covers on their gas pumps. I have since read a few posts in both the 7.3L forum as well as the VW TDI forums where the unassuming driver pumped the wrong fuel. Survivable in an old school diesel. Death in a new school diesel.

I have always been extremly concerned with this possible "lapse" and ensured I was the only one who every filled up my Passat TDI or OBS 7.3L. And even then, I had a process I went throught to triple check which handle I had in my hand before I squeezed the trigger.

Is it an ignorant thing to do? Heck yes. Does stuff happen? Heck yes.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:44 PM
BIGRED 7.3L
Elder User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Cng is a pain in the *** because of filling station availability and the tank taking up space

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup
This is a very true statement.

My company was all excited about putting CNG vehicles in our CA fleet a couple of years or so ago. None exist now, we went away from them quick for this very reason.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:18 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
CNG would be practical for city buses.
Or trains, because many tanker cars could carry the fuel and not even be an issue.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost vs diesel half tons