Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Truck won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:51 PM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start.

I have a 1987 F250 Diesel with a 6.9 n/a Diesel. I just replaced all the injectors and IP. Ran it for a few days now it won't start. Found it had air intrusion and fixed that. I have fuel to the injectors and I know that for a fact because I loosened the caps on top of the injectors and now have fuel coming out of the caps. I have the aircleaner off so that's not a problem. Checked the FSS and have power there. What am I missing? I timed the IP with a meter from Gary from "oil burners". It was off by 3 degrees but after I changed the timing it ran for a couple days great. It has to be simple just can't figure out what I"m missing. I turn the key and she turns over fine, just won't start. Replaced the starter about a month ago. Also have the block heater plugged in. I adjusted the starter switch in/on the column this morning. It stopped working sometimes when I turned the key but after I adjusted the part down towards the firewall it turns over every time. Hadn't thought of that.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:20 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How cold is it where you are? Have you checked glow plug operation? Any white smoke from the railpipe when cranking?

Old 12-20-2014, 07:40 AM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
Truck won't start...........

The block heater was plugged in all day and the temp gage registered about 120. The glo plugs took about 10 seconds to go off, they are working good. Got another lead about the switch. Going to check that now

Old 12-20-2014, 01:47 PM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
I replaced the switch on the steering column and nothing happened. Jumped from the positive battery terminal to the terminal on the IP. Nothing there either. Turns over fine but still no start. Checked for fuel flow to the return lline and there is a fuel there, not much but there is fuel flowing out of the pump.Good fuel flow from the tank to the IP thru an electric fuel pump

Old 12-20-2014, 06:28 PM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
Good fuel flow from the tank to the IP thru an electric fuel pump

Old 12-22-2014, 02:04 AM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new Ip's can fail, that's what warranties are for, disconnect glow plugs and use starting fluid, if it will run on starting fluid, but not on diesel the ip is not working make certain the FSS is working. good luck

Old 12-22-2014, 06:08 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
what did you replace the ip with? a used or reman? if reman,you didn't get it from Florida by any chance?

Old 12-22-2014, 07:06 PM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
Ok, figured out the problem. Got some vegoil into the pump and that was the problem. Used a hair dryer to heat up the IP and she started right up. Ran great. Mystery solved. Thanks guys.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I really don't get why people run garbage in their tanks. I don't like today's fuel prices any more than the next guy, but fuel isn't 'free' if it causes damage and downtime.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:34 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dyoungen
Ok, figured out the problem. Got some vegoil into the pump and that was the problem. Used a hair dryer to heat up the IP and she started right up. Ran great. Mystery solved. Thanks guys.
I'm glad you got that solved. That'd be hard to diagnose without knowing alternate fuels were used, and a good lesson to keep in mind for the rest of us. We can plug in the block all day but solidified or gelled fuel won't pump!

Old 12-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by The_Josh_Bear
I'm glad you got that solved. That'd be hard to diagnose without knowing alternate fuels were used, and a good lesson to keep in mind for the rest of us. We can plug in the block all day but solidified or gelled fuel won't pump!
That's a good point, there's quite a history here of that happening. Someone's running garbage in their fuel tanks, they have problems and show up here asking for help, but neglect to tell us they aren't running the proper fuel.
Would save some time if they told us up front all the details.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:51 AM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
yup running garbage doesn't work.

Sorry I asked those perfect people out there. As for being free, you might want to check again because it hasn't been free for years. I realize I didn't add the "vegoil" part because I had been running straight Diesel for a couple days before it stopped and didn't see the reason for throwing it into the conversation. As for saying it was "vegoil" I can't say it was as I didn't open up the IP. For all I know it might have been gelled Diesel since it's been cold here and the fuel was from last summer before I went to Guam and the truck sat for three months and not started. As for running garbage in my tank, I'd say some of the Diesel fuel ranks right up there under the garbage label because in the past I've heard and seen what some of the stations sell as "Diesel". Vegoil garbage? Your absolutly right but then some of us hate to see the throw away society we're living in that think instead of fixing or recovering what might not work, they work to recycle it. Now your going to call me a tr hugger? No thanks. I have no use for those people. I just can't see throwing something away that can be used or reused. My 2cents

Old 12-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by dyoungen
Sorry I asked those perfect people out there. As for being free, you might want to check again because it hasn't been free for years. I realize I didn't add the "vegoil" part because I had been running straight Diesel for a couple days before it stopped and didn't see the reason for throwing it into the conversation. As for saying it was "vegoil" I can't say it was as I didn't open up the IP. For all I know it might have been gelled Diesel since it's been cold here and the fuel was from last summer before I went to Guam and the truck sat for three months and not started. As for running garbage in my tank, I'd say some of the Diesel fuel ranks right up there under the garbage label because in the past I've heard and seen what some of the stations sell as "Diesel". Vegoil garbage? Your absolutly right but then some of us hate to see the throw away society we're living in that think instead of fixing or recovering what might not work, they work to recycle it. Now your going to call me a tr hugger? No thanks. I have no use for those people. I just can't see throwing something away that can be used or reused. My 2cents
My opinions are not meant to offend, I just offer my 2 cents to add to the discussion. If you do not like my opinion and choose another path that's fine, I'm not perfect by any means so I make no claim that my path is the only true option.

Anyway, sorry if my other posts seemed abrasive or offensive.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:39 AM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
No offence taken, just wanted to set the story straight. If I had been running vegoil when it wouldn't start, I would have said it. I can't vouch for the fuel around here one way or another and like I said I was away for 3 months working where I couldn't take my truck. I have seen posts where a guy, not me will ask a question and get called everything under the sun because he didn't know something. That is a great way to lose a good person thru no fault of their own. When somebody firsts gets into Diesels, they don't have a clue. When I started I didn't know what was good or bad. I asked questions and got some good advice. I was lucky. I've seen others post and your think they didn't know the differance between gas and Diesel but they leaned. I'm not calling anybody out and won't but before they start calling people names and getting in their case THEY might find out what the guy is asking before they condem them. I'm not on here all the time and don't see where anybody jumps down the posters throat all the time so I can't say how often it happens. Most of the people on here have respect for others but there seem to be some that think they can do no wrong.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:55 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats a funny subject, I always ask the gas attendant did you guy's winterize your diesel yet? they all look at each other and shrug there shoulders. I had on guy go inside and ask the owner of the station, he didn't know. So to be safe I always add power service to my fuel tank and aux. tank. I have been stuck with gelled fuel before and dont want to go through that again. But we all have to be careful what we are putting in our tanks, if you do bio, good for you, doesn't make you a tree hugger by no means. But that is an important piece of info when diagnosing a no start condition. Just my 2 cents and hope nobody got offended. Merry Christmas, hope I didn't offend any one with that either.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start.