6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Regen/CEL oddity

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:14 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
P2463 - Diesel Particulate Filter - Soot Accumulation

Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the diesel particulate filter for a very high restriction. The test fails during normal vehicle operation when the diesel particulate filter pressure is greater than a maximum amount. The PCM immediately illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and sets the DTC.
Possible Causes: Excessive amount of soot or ash in the diesel particulate filter

Diagnostic Aids: Excessive amount of soot or ash in the diesel particulate filter may be caused by extended engine idle operation after the DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST message is displayed in the message center. Refer to the Owner's Literature for additional information on the message center DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST message.
Check for other DTCs.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:27 AM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Response from the dealer is I am out of warranty. Three year warranty went out in October, and the 36,000 mile part left about 500 miles ago. Dealer said even if I had gotten the extended warranty, it still wouldn't be covered.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:43 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 889 Likes on 322 Posts
If I were you, I'd open up your owners manual, warranty section. Pretty sure that emissions related components are 5yr/50K mile warranty?

Old 12-24-2014, 07:50 AM
BCM
More Turbo

Originally Posted by djousma
If I were you, I'd open up your owners manual, warranty section. Pretty sure that emissions related components are 5yr/50K mile warranty?
BOOM! Right on, bro! Just checked! Sending it back to the dealer...

Old 12-24-2014, 08:06 AM
BCM
More Turbo

Service manager is clueless. Says it is software, and not part of the emissions system... which is still under warranty. Really? He said 'I'll split the difference with you... $139 divided by two is next to nothing.' Maybe to you, pal.

Went to Crystal's crew.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,505 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I think manual regin would be worth $70 bucks.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:14 AM
BCM
More Turbo

I agree... But why pay for it when it should be free because my exhaust system is still under warranty?

Old 12-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,505 Likes on 1,386 Posts
True enough!

Old 12-24-2014, 08:26 AM
Jquickie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered the manual regen on mine. Trust me it's not worth it. I find it better to just take it for a drive when it needs the regen. I wish I would have put the money towards a product like Edge Insight that would do a manually regen and read codes.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:23 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BCM
I agree... But why pay for it when it should be free because my exhaust system is still under warranty?
I am in between on this one. You havent told us(in this thread), what your normal driving habits are to have caused the DPF to plug up. If indeed, you are only driving 5 miles, and never getting her up to temp, or towing, etc, then the issue is on you, and getting the manual regen option for free is not something I would think you should be entitled to.

However, if your normal driving habits include plenty of runtime, etc, general logic says there is some not quite right, then the dealer ought to be pursuing this as if there is a defect of some sort. Even in this case, getting the manual regen feature, probably shouldnt be a freebie. If there is something broken, that is covered under warranty, that should be replaced.

Personally, if my driving habits were such that I was doing too many short trips, I would spring for the manual regen feature to protect my investment long term. A new DPF is going to cost much more than the $139. If the dealer is willing to split the cost, I'd jump on that. Don't be penny foolish after making the large investment in the truck.

Where I think you need to be firm with the dealer is if you can truthfully explain to them that your driving habits should allow for regens to complete but they are not, then dont let them off the hook. I suspect they can see in the computer how many regens have started, but not completed.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:42 AM
BCM
More Turbo

Thanks for the input, Dave. From about mid January until just after Thanksgiving, I'm towing a fifth wheel up and down the east coast, so there is no problem. But over the past couple of weeks, I'm driving five miles here, ten miles there, every few days... that's about it. You'd think those few short trips during those few short weeks (just three actually, last trip I got home the day after Thanksgiving) wouldn't be enough to keep triggering a regen.

My regular service writer is back from vacation. He just called and said he would take care of it for me in a couple of weeks when I bring it in for the oil change.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:35 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BCM
Thanks for the input, Dave. From about mid January until just after Thanksgiving, I'm towing a fifth wheel up and down the east coast, so there is no problem. But over the past couple of weeks, I'm driving five miles here, ten miles there, every few days... that's about it. You'd think those few short trips during those few short weeks (just three actually, last trip I got home the day after Thanksgiving) wouldn't be enough to keep triggering a regen.

My regular service writer is back from vacation. He just called and said he would take care of it for me in a couple of weeks when I bring it in for the oil change.
Sounds like you arent babying things. Glad you heard from your service writer. they should look into the truck a little harder.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2014, 01:58 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BCM

whatever generates the smoke particles the DPF captures is the issue.
cold, lots of acceleration cycles (stop & go), and maybe an interrupted clean all get particles quick. I get one every 100 miles driving around here. 6 miles to town, 3 miles thru, 18 miles highway, reverse back from Target.

I watch the miles since regen on my phone app

Old 12-25-2014, 09:42 PM
jfritz_drfritz
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AFAIK the ocr option is only available for xlr trucks. Under normal circumstances your regen will not complete if you leave it idling in the driveway. My truck takes about 22 km to complete a full regen at highway speeds. The only warranty you will get on your exhaust system is if your dpf fails or cannot be cleaned by the normal method. I am pretty sure the dealer would charge you if you brought it in with a plugged filter that had to be manually cleaned if there was no other mechanical problem it is just like being expected to change your oil on a regular basis. Your options would be to PURCHASE the ocr option, or change your driving habits or do a delete.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:43 AM
BCM
More Turbo

I think something may be going on with the truck and these regens. I KNOW it is finishing (has to be over a half hour of highway driving, right?)... And very next time I take it out the 'cleaning exhaust filter' lights up. This is on subsequent trips, also, when it supposedly finished cleaning.

Quick Reply: Regen/CEL oddity