Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Today, 12:10 PM
Senior User

rch10007 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rch10007 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
KOEO - SES stays on, cranks over, no start...

My 6.8L is experiencing an issue that I figured would be worthy to pass by you guys/gals...

Truck hasn't been ran in a few months...it ran fine when it was parked and has sat longer than this with no issue before. Battery voltage fine...

I get in, insert the key, turn it over and it cranks but doesn't fire...hmmm, why is that, I wonder? I notice the SES never goes out before I crank the truck over.

I unplug the battery, tried to clear any fault codes with my handheld tuner (which there was nothing showing up) and turned the ignition on. I left the key in the on position but didn't try to start it. The SES lights never turns off.

I am assuming that if the SES light stays on, the ecu will not allow the truck to start...is that true? What components have an effect on the SES light when you first turn on the key? Anyone got a "simple" explanation where they have seen this before?

Thanks.
Old Today, 12:19 PM
Elder User

Technologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to behold
Jlynnes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rch10007 View Post
My 6.8L is experiencing an issue that I figured would be worthy to pass by you guys/gals...

Truck hasn't been ran in a few months...it ran fine when it was parked and has sat longer than this with no issue before. Battery voltage fine...

I get in, insert the key, turn it over and it cranks but doesn't fire...hmmm, why is that, I wonder? I notice the SES never goes out before I crank the truck over.

I unplug the battery, tried to clear any fault codes with my handheld tuner (which there was nothing showing up) and turned the ignition on. I left the key in the on position but didn't try to start it. The SES lights never turns off.

I am assuming that if the SES light stays on, the ecu will not allow the truck to start...is that true? What components have an effect on the SES light when you first turn on the key? Anyone got a "simple" explanation where they have seen this before?

Thanks.
I think you need to try and get your hands on a better code reader first off. Many auto part chains have ones you can use.
2002 Ford Excursion XLT Premium 4x4 V10, Firestone Ride-Rites, '08 Mirrors, Powerstop: Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Performance Calipers & Ceramic pads, Flowmaster 70, Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, Alpine Components, Kenwood 300W amp, Sony 12" Sub, Viper Alarm & Remote Start, '05 Headlights & Grille, 5000k 55W Bi-Xenon HID Bulbs, 64k
2013 Aspen Trail 2810BHS,
Old Today, 12:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs