1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT: Hobbies, skills?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 08:08 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by wallster
So many interesting people with cool skills!

Wally
I agree. This is a great thread.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
I know this music probably isn't most of you guys' cup of tea, but here is a video i just did last night.
Needs more cowbell... JK

Old 12-23-2014, 06:54 PM
fordf5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stated earlier I like to make knives from old discarded files.
These 3 are the latest from the forge and all are Christmas presents
.....Roger

Old 12-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Aus56
Elder User

As stated earlier I like to make knives from old discarded files.
These 3 are the latest from the forge and all are Christmas presents
.....Roger
.[/QUOTE]

Even though you showed pictures of the basic process, I am still amazed that you make those knives, especially from old files, wonderful skill and sense of style also. To someone like me who has never made anything but a mess, very impressive. A lot of you blokes are very talented, quite apart from the impressive work you do with your trucks. Congratulations.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:21 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
That is So much more than cowbell..........

Old 12-23-2014, 08:36 PM
EAK69
Senior User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do preservation / restoration work on Route 66 for a hobby.
I educate travelers about the route and help businesses and towns grow tourism on Route 66 - all for free....

I JUST bought a historic garage in Galena KS (built in 1896 - pic is from 1947) which I am currently restoring to look like the pic.

The historic Front Street Garage in Galena KS on Route 66.

I am currently restoring the original neon sign from the 1940's which hung outside the garage. All the work (minus blowing the neon) will be done by me.

Originally Posted by oldwi
When I am not at a local car event during the summer or working on my truck I will be out exploring the back-roads some place in Kansas or Missouri photographing whatever catches my eye.

Alan
Alan, let me know if you are ever in the Galena area - I am there a few times during the spring / summer working on the garage.

Ed

Old 12-23-2014, 09:49 PM
wallster
Elder User
Alright, I'm going to contribute to this thread. I've been restoring and building whatever comes my way. Lately I've worked on old gas pumps and motorcycles but there's more, it's a sickness!

Here are a few of my projects (before and after pics) but if you're really bored swing by my website and take a look at the rest on there.

Wally

Wallys-Speed-Shop.com

1977 Yamaha XS400 Cafe Racer Bike

1978 Yamaha XS650 Bobber Bike

1947-1951 Bowser Gas Pump

Eco Tireflator Restoration

Old 12-23-2014, 10:30 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Alot of amazing talent and skills here.

Im not sure i qualify for much other than im pretty good at buying old rusty trucks.

Im a land surveyor by day, been doing that for 18 years, licensed the last 9 years.
Between building our house and finishing school and having kids, life has gotten very busy.

My wife and i drew up our house plans in 2000, and we built in 2001. ( subbed out most of the big jobs.) Did the sewer, water. Electrical and finish work. Etc etc

Recently finished the basement, muddle with some woodworking. Pretty amature stuff but learning.

In January a friend and I purchased a commercial property that had been sitting unfinished for ten years. We took it on and finished it. (was just a shell) 4000 sq ft and three 3/4 acre lots and just got it leased out Dec 1st. Still have 2 lots to hopefully put steel buildings on down the road. And are now on to a little 3 bedroom house to flip and already have our eye on another commercial site that needs alot of work. But will be well worth it in the long run. (my weekends are long gone )

I also enjoy boating Ski ski'ing with the inlaws boat. Camping in the high Uinta mountains canoeing and fishing with the kids. Exploring old mines and ghost towns etc.
Snow skiing and snowboarding ( cant afford this anymore)

Made this sleigh for my daughters ballet studio for thier annual nutcracker ballet, although i cant take all the credit, my wife drew up the pattern and i just cut it out of plywood and put it together ( a cut by numbers ) then she painted and decorated it. I've already told her if she can do that seat cushion so nice that i have a future project for her.
The guy sitting in it is a local tv station news celebrity that did a little promo shoot for the morning news before they did the show.
Luckily i didnt skimp on the castor size!

Attached Images     
Old 12-23-2014, 10:35 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
This is the building. Still needs a few little things done and the parking area needs more grading in the spring.

Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2014, 11:23 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Well here goes:
Most would call me crazy. I guess I'm just taking advantage of my youth while I still got it.

I am a member of my high school's cross country team, over the course of one season each member will have ran over 3,000 miles. Our races are 3.15 miles long and the course has many steep hills.

I also wrestle for my highschool, our league is the #1 ranked league in the nation and has brought home the national title for almost a decade in a row now.

I am also a fourth generation purebred polled Hereford cattle breeder; my great grandfather was the first one to bring the breed to the state of Oregon, and disputably the western US.

To go along with the cattle, I am a member of national FFA organization, the largest youth organization in the world. Each year I compete on my chapter's Agricultural Mechanics team, and show a Market Steer at the local county fair.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:13 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Mtphammer, I would ask what you do in your spare time, but I'm guessing you don't have a lot of that.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:00 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Wallster, you obviously do good work, I love your truck, and I am not really a F1 enthusiast. Those bikes are sweet, love the bobber, had a early XS1 650 Yammie, would like a bobber like that. And fine work on the garage equipment, beautifully done.

JMadsen, I am impressed with your real estate and building skills, my wife and I have renovated 2 houses and a unit over the last 7 years and we enjoy it. Cosmetic stuff, but thorough, we do the grunt work, with a chippie if anything needs to be done, repairs, small mods etc. Full renos inside and gardens modded outside to give good street appeal. It has been very satisfying, and hopefully a reasonable financial result one day.

I was considering the tag line on your posts, borrowed from Bobbytnm ("I know my wife won't leave me. If she did, she'd have to take half of my stuff!!" ) Quote by Bobbytnm
If my wife ends up with any of my stuff, she has already told me where it will go if I fall off the perch for example, straight to the dump.

EAK69, I hope to travel what I can of the old route 66 one day, good to see people like you preserving it.

Mtphammer, you certainly seem an impressive young man, got your life planned out well it seems, an asset to your country, great to have you on the forum.

Cheers.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtphammer
Well here goes:
I am a member of my high school's cross country team, over the course of one season each member will have ran over 3,000 miles. Our races are 3.15 miles long and the course has many steep hills.
That's cool. I was a cross country runner in high school and college. Great stuff. My oldest daughter also runs. She is in college now. The FFA is also very big in my town, it's a great organization.
Glad to have youth on here.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Mtphammer, I would ask what you do in your spare time, but I'm guessing you don't have a lot of that.
You are quite right! I do somehow find a way to do something on the fun side every now and then however (usually involves my truck though).

Old 12-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Aus56
Wallster, you obviously do good work, I love your truck, and I am not really a F1 enthusiast. Those bikes are sweet, love the bobber, had a early XS1 650 Yammie, would like a bobber like that. And fine work on the garage equipment, beautifully done. JMadsen, I am impressed with your real estate and building skills, my wife and I have renovated 2 houses and a unit over the last 7 years and we enjoy it. Cosmetic stuff, but thorough, we do the grunt work, with a chippie if anything needs to be done, repairs, small mods etc. Full renos inside and gardens modded outside to give good street appeal. It has been very satisfying, and hopefully a reasonable financial result one day. I was considering the tag line on your posts, borrowed from Bobbytnm ("I know my wife won't leave me. If she did, she'd have to take half of my stuff!!" ) Quote by Bobbytnm If my wife ends up with any of my stuff, she has already told me where it will go if I fall off the perch for example, straight to the dump. EAK69, I hope to travel what I can of the old route 66 one day, good to see people like you preserving it. Mtphammer, you certainly seem an impressive young man, got your life planned out well it seems, an asset to your country, great to have you on the forum. Cheers.
Thank you Aus for the positive remarks. My father has told me ever since I can remember that his main got in life is to train me to become an honorable man. My life however; is far from being planned. I have no idea what my college major is going to be. It is even a possibility that I might join the service. I guess I've got another year to plan anyways. Merry Christmas everyone.

Quick Reply: OT: Hobbies, skills?