1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT: Hobbies, skills?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Rocketman55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dock Jumping my pooch

Home Brewing and Beer Judging

Old 12-19-2014, 07:15 PM
HBN
Freshman User
Spend a lot of time coaching youth baseball. and most anything with wood. I do specialize in carving ducks. Been doing those for over 30 years.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:41 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Playing with my toys, building toys for my grandson, a little hunting and after being retired for many years I am going back to work teaching at the local college next semester kind of fills up my dance card.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Most people around here call me a Hill Billy artist. In nice weather I sit on my front porch and draw........a check. Semi retired but still enjoy fishing, hunting and anything outdoors. Currently playing dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:58 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
I tour in very early autos and spend a lot of time on the salt water both sail and power but more sailing, retired and enjoying every minute!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Well, now my hobbies are my kids.
I have a 20 year old girl that is transferring to the University of Nebraska in a couple of weeks. She runs distance and will run for Nebraska. I ran from them back when I was in college. She also just took her conceal and carry course. She doesn't have a handgun so she will wait to get her license until after she gets a gun. (I wouldn't be surprised if grandpa found one for her.) I would love to get mine to, but that is a low priority at the moment. My mom has hers and recently got herself a gun, for a while she was carrying it without bullets to get used to having one.....

My soon to be 16 year old boy loves football and baseball, so we attend a lot of games.
My 10 year old girl is just busy and loves all sports. She is my biggest helper on my truck. My son just wants to drive it when it's ready.

I enjoy running, but it has been off and on the last bunch of years. I used to be good, but I'm older now.
My kids really enjoy deer hunting so we do a bit of that when our schedules allow.
I work on computers for a living. I'm on the programming side of things.
I'm on our local school board and that keeps things interesting.
I'm also a massage therapist. I don't do near as much now, but it brings in some money and I enjoy helping people get over their aches and pains and helping the high school athletes stay healthy.
Back in high school and college I played the bass in my HS orchestra and the local symphony. That was a lot of fun. One of these days I would like to pick that back up again. I never was too good, but I enjoy music.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:00 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been heavy into genealogy for the past 10+ years When they say the Civil War was brother against brother you wouldn't realize just how true-full that saying is until you research your family. I also play a little golf from time to time.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:10 PM
oldwi
Senior User
I am relatively new to the truck hobby. My F100 is my first attempt at such a project and one of my primary hobbies now that both kids are out of the house and on their own. I spent a lot of years taking my son to baseball tournaments and helping coach before that and my life long hobby has been photography. When I am not at a local car event during the summer or working on my truck I will be out exploring the back-roads some place in Kansas or Missouri photographing whatever catches my eye.

Alan

Old 12-19-2014, 09:32 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I used to drink beer, chase women and play USAF - In between those joys I fished, then fished some more - In 1997 I decided to get back into old cars, my first project was to be a 60's style street gasser - I bought a 1946 Ford Coupe that was a Basket Case - I was buying and trading parts for that when I found a 1948 Ford Panel that ran and with a brake job would have been safe to drive - I bought it with the intention of trading for a bunch of parts with a guy in New York st. that delt in 46 48 Ford cars - He was looking for a 48 Ford Panel to haul his parts to swap meets - I put the Panel under the carport and every couple of days I would take it for a drive out back, when I didn't drive it I was out petting it every night - After about a month of that my wife told me to keep it, so I did - That was one of those Let The Games Begin moments - I put the Coupe on the back burner, where it still sits, and decided I needed to do a complete Restomod of the Panel, warmed up Flatmotor, 4 speed 60's trans and a 9 in in the rear - My dad had a similar Truck for a parts chaser in 66/67 time frame - It had a nose down stance using a rubber rake and flipper hubcaps - I intended to fix the back end up as storage for travel equipment and tow a Tear Drop behind it and travel around the country visiting (Sponging off you folks)while looking for places to fish
Then in 2001 my long growing PTSD exploded and 16 months later I couldn't work, hardly able to walk and was an emotional basket case - Since then thru the use of therapy and many drugs I gotten to the point of realizing that I can't plan anything, I can't/won't travel more than about 20 miles from home and that's if my Sister in Law is in town to come and rescue me.
I continued to gather parts for the Panel and do what ever repair work that I could. About a year and a half ago I sat myself down and all of us talked and we voted 5 to 1 for admitting that all plans were off
During this time I ran across a 1952 Ford F2 - with trading some old kawasuckie motor cycle parts and adding some case I closed the deal and drove it home. It had a PA Inspection sticker that was good for a year so I drove it where ever I went - REALIZE that I have averaged 573 miles on my car per year since 2003
My new hobby is spending my retirement travel money now which involves putting up a 28x34 garage with my old single car attached to the back side, putting a new secret drive train in the 52 F2x, I farmed out the work and rebuilding my 1957 Massey Ferguson TO 35
The other thing that I do most often is go on line to several car/truck forums and a few blog sites and bust folks asses
I will work on my vehicle related projects until the plant me - I AM NOT taking requests for that

Old 12-19-2014, 09:34 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Hobbies .....Honeybees and water quality testing for freshwater lakes.
Deer/rabbit/turkey hunting and ice fishing.

Skills? I can drive the ladies at work nuts by cracking my knuckles, eating sweets all day-every day without getting fat and going out of my way to help only the young pretty ones.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:53 AM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fun thread. I used to climb 14ers, ski, and MC trips but now it's more grandkids, camping, and a little MC.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:02 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Hobbies... Hmmm, I can't think of anything I do that could be called a hobby. I taught school for 33 years, was the head soccer coach for 33 years. Coaching soccer was a year round thing... the high school season in the fall, indoors in the winter and club in the spring. In the summer I worked at soccer camps at colleges all over PA for 4 to 5 weeks. I also refereed college soccer, Div I, II, and III. So all that kept me pretty busy and I didn't have time for hobbies.

Now that I am retired from coaching and teaching I am substitute teaching. I mow lawns and haul mulch in the summer. I do help coach in-house at our local soccer club which I started 30 years ago. I don't fish, nor hunt even though we have some of the best right here in my backyard. But I am staying busy.

I have more time now for doig stuff around the house. My priorities are Wife, family, church, and Ford trucks. I guess the only hobby type thing I do would be my 2 Ford trucks. I do collect the Ford Truck Clues. I have all of '54, am missing one from '53 and missing several issues from '55 and '56. I also have a lot of other Ford Truck literature and advertising papers. My wife and I like antiques. I do have four antique clocks, 3 of which run and keep good time.

And belonging to FTE is a time consuming hobby!

Old 12-20-2014, 05:44 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I used to enjoy catch and release Trout fishing, gardening, riding bicycles & Harleys. However my health (RA), has limited me to learning about and working on my truck, which I enjoy immensely. On good days I get tired very quickly and am able to work for short periods, lay down, and work a little, lay down ,etc. etc. I have no complaints, Do NOT feel sorry for me, I am so blessed, my health is no more than a minor inconvenience. I have a wonderful wife, family, faith, and life. My truck is a wonderful, fulfilling hobby, plus I find FTE and its members give me a chance to meet great people that I may never had the opportunity to enjoy.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:44 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
Before retiring, I was a Lutheran elementary school teacher and principal for 35 years. I also taught part time for 8 years at a local technical college. I enjoy wilderness canoe trips, cross country skiing, and restoring wooden sailboats.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Rollingmenace
Junior User
Well besides the F1 I have tons of other hobbies and interests... I restore ride and race vintage Honda ATC's (threewheelers) and quads here are some pics

Quick Reply: OT: Hobbies, skills?