Sponsored by:

Back up cameras

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Back up cameras

Finally ordering a dvd/navi/back up camera head unit for the X!

I bought a camera years ago for when I was going to do the back up camera but it is old now and I think it is even black and white.

So I am looking at the actual cameras again and came across this interesting one below. But I was curious as well what everyone else is using and input from others!

This one interested me. I plan to install whatever camera I get in either the hatch "wing/third brake light" or in the black trim by the lift gate handle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-CMOS-Wide-Angle-Car-Rear-View-Reverse-Backup-View-Parking-Camera-New-/121218948132?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item1c39365c24
Curious about the actual video quality of cameras.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using this:
Amazon.com : Boyo VTL375 Ultra Slim Zinc Metal Black License Plate Camera : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Boyo VTL375 Ultra Slim Zinc Metal Black License Plate Camera : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

And it's freaking awesome! I have it tied into my Pioneer 4000NEX head unit which allows me to drop the lines in there so I have an idea for distance. Because it's the frame and black nobody knows there is a camera there.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 12-18-2014, 07:31 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use the same one Jeremy is using and also into a Pioneer head unit, colors day or night are perfect... Stop copying me Jeremy

Andy, if I were you buy a cheaper camera like the one you posted and I would install it in the black trim as you described.

I mean really man, you will only use it once a year when backing her into your winter storage garage

Old 12-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
I mean really man, you will only use it once a year when backing her into your winter storage garage

HAHHAA!

I would rather not back into the snowmobiles that one time I back into the storage garage though.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:24 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 12-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where would be an ideal location to mount the camera so that I could see the trailer hitch while backing?
I hate being a couple inches off to the left or right when I'm lining up my trailer.

The F150s at work have the factory installed camera in the Ford Emblem on the tailgate.
The Transit-Connect vans have it in the license plate trim.

Both locations show the rear bumper well.

Speaking of the F150s. How hard would it be to install the newer F150 rear view with screen in the Excursion?

Old 12-18-2014, 08:47 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a similar one. I drilled a hole In the license plate and mounted it there. This way there is no hole in the body. I am also using a pioneer head unit with built in screen. The picture is perfect!

Old 12-18-2014, 09:40 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazon.com : Esky EC170-06 HD Color CCD Waterproof Car Rear View Backup Camera, 0.86X0.65X0.50-inch (No Guideline Version) : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Esky EC170-06 HD Color CCD Waterproof Car Rear View Backup Camera, 0.86X0.65X0.50-inch (No Guideline Version) : Car Electronics

I bought this one, hooked up to my SCT Livewire. This camera doesn't have the yellow/red/green back up lines on it like almost every other one does. I really like that feature

ALso I like that I can drive down the road and see whats behind me

-The Great

Old 12-19-2014, 01:01 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i dont like them words you guys have on your screens. i like just lines or nothing.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:48 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I have my backup camera hooked into my sct as well and I am not a fan of it at all. I am not a fan of having to manually switch the screen when I want to see the camera. I think I am going to get on of the mirrors with the screen in it when I buy a better camera to install in the 3rd brake light. I will most likely put the cheap camera I have now and mount it somewhere in the front so my wife can see how much clearance she has in botht eh front and back when trying to park.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Technologiq
Elder User
I don't think I'd like a system where I manually turn the camera on. Right now mine just kicks on whenever I put the Ex in reverse (or anytime if I choose on my deck). I'd probably forget half the time to turn it on (the Ex does have backup sensors).

It's especially nice when I'm hitching up our trailer.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:18 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
If you mount the camera "inside" (flush) with the top brake light, you won't see the ball.

I have one of those tri-ball setups where you can change the size, so it sticks out a lot farther than a regular one.

I have my camera mounted on an "L" bracket that rests behind the third row light.

I still can only see the ball itself and maybe 1" of the square tube before it gets cut out by the window handle trim.

With a regular hitch ball setup with the camera on an L bracket, I probably wouldn't see the ball at all (especially if it's set up as a 'drop' vs. a 'raise'). So if you are trying to mount the camera inside the third row tail light housing, that makes the angle even worse and you wouldn't see the ball at all for trailering.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:20 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Also, I have yet to find a camera that is actually waterproof more than a year. Simple car washes in the summer makes mine fog up. For the one I get to replace this one, the plan is to open it up before installing, put a couple of those silica desiccant ***** inside the housing, then seal the entire mess up with silicone sealant.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Technologiq
Elder User
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Also, I have yet to find a camera that is actually waterproof more than a year. Simple car washes in the summer makes mine fog up. For the one I get to replace this one, the plan is to open it up before installing, put a couple of those silica desiccant ***** inside the housing, then seal the entire mess up with silicone sealant.
I've been through snow, rain, backed it into a lake, a couple dozen high pressure car washes with no problems. I have the occasional water droplet sitting on it which is an easy fix.

Quick Reply: Back up cameras