1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Choices for stockish 50 F-1 ? and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:54 PM
F-ONE
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Choices for stockish 50 F-1 ? and discussion

Very soon I'm going to start serious on my 50 F-1. I would like to keep the truck as "original" or a better term would be period as possible.

Here are some of the choices.

68 302-1950 LD 3 speed...
This is what the truck has in it now. Honestly I really like it. The transmission is on it's third engine. It has gone through the original flat head and a Late 70s 302. The engine in it now was overhauled 15 years ago. The truck has not been driven that much and the engine has been kept up.

Old speed parts were used for the adaption like Hurst style engine mounts and the old Hurst/will cap adapter. I really like the old speed stuff but it's kind of primitive.

Old Hurst type Mounts

I'm going for a early to mid 60s look, 302 made up look like a 5 bolt 289, points, painted steel reverses on the back, 57 Ford caps or 60s Ford flip blade dog dishes, Motorola AM radio, I can pick up WSM here.

Drivability, You could tear up this transmission in 10 minutes if you abuse it. With that said it does very well if you ease into it. RPM matches how the engine is built with an old Crane fireball 294. 2nd gear is a Blast
I'm considering going through the 3 speed with the Van Pelt book.

Option 2...302 C4

I can do this without cutting the cross member. If I were to do this I may mount the engine with side mounts. Going with the 60s vibe I may use a cable shifter like a Hurst Pro shift with the taller truck console instead of the pseudo tall sticks like Gennie or Lokar.

The C-4 is really more "my era", I grew up with autos in hot rods and it has better drive ability for others and is better suited for every day.
Divability, Nothing like barking 2nd with a auto with a shift kit. Oh and the 4bbl downshift. I have a good C-4.

Option 3...302 Toploader 3 spd-4spd/Top Loader 3+OD

This is an option as well. Adapters are available So I could use the old Hurst Bell housing + mini bell to mount a 3.03 Top Loader. I have a small collection of Toploader 3 speeds. A Jeep T150 top can be used to give it the same look as the 50 LD 3 speed and the shifter will fit through the same hole.
I could get OD with a early 80s F-100/150 Toploader 3 + OD which is the same basic trans as the 3.03.
Drivability, More rugged can take more power, similar to the LD 3 speed but with out the worry. No popping out of 2nd at a high RPM coast. Worry free downshifts.

Option 4...Flathead with any combo above

If I had the sheet metal I would consider bone stock. I do love the flathead and all that goes with it but long trips concern me.

I have the engine rebuilt and sitting in wait. I ran it in a 50 Coupe years ago.

First and foremost is getting the truck in proper diving condition brakes wiring ect ect..
I have lots of options here are some more pics of my truck.

In storage...

Tail lights and likely the back bumper have to go...

Right now waiting to go into the garage.

Thanks for any comments and discussion...

Old 12-18-2014, 06:10 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool truck. I'd leave it as is for a while before you decide. Make it safe and drive it. Maybe you won't want to change anything....

Old 12-18-2014, 06:13 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey F-One,
Welcome!! It's nice to see another '50 getting saved!
Our's started out with a 70's hotrod package - I still wish we had kept the 289 that was in it. We ended up with a 351W with an AOD. Very nice for cruising.

Good luck over there in Alabama! (I do like that floor shifter you have pictured).

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

Old 12-18-2014, 07:38 PM
dlb.motorman
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front end looks like 51

Old 12-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Redgranite_Yooper
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50 or 51?

Just curious, the pictures you showed appear to be a 51, not 50?

Old 12-18-2014, 08:17 PM
F-ONE
Senior User
Look very Close. Note the small window and raised bed panels.
Note the instrument panel and 48- 50 gear shift.

It looks like the truck was wrecked decades ago and the front sheet metal was replaced with parts of a 51. This was long long before I owned the truck. It may have been done when the first small block was put into it.

One reason I'm not pursuing a stock resto is all the correct sheet metal I need. That much good sheet metal is usually connected to an equally good truck or it's across the country.

In a sense the gloves are off so to speak so I'm not bound by ruining an original.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:18 PM
F-ONE
Senior User
Look very Close. Note the small window and raised bed panels.
Note the instrument panel and 48- 50 gear shift.

It looks like the truck was wrecked decades ago and the front sheet metal was replaced with a parts of a 51. This was long long before I owned the truck. It may have been done when the first small block was put into it.

One reason I'm not pursuing a stock resto is all the correct sheet metal I need. That much good sheet metal is usually connected to an equally good truck or it's across the country.

In a sense the gloves are off so to speak so I'm not bound by ruining an original.

sorry for the double post...there was a glitch somewhere

Old 12-18-2014, 08:58 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I like original and recommend the flathead. It won't be as powerful as the overhead, but it gets the job done.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:54 PM
F-ONE
Senior User
I love original too. If I had it to do over again I may have never bought the F-1 and kept my "original" 50 Business Coupe. That little coupe would run down the road very very well. I did keep the engine that ironically was original to the truck I have now. Long story, but I had the engine for years before I knew about the truck.

I had a 52 Chevy Business too. There was no comparison. The Ford Coupe in original trim is a car it can keep up with modern traffic and then some. The babbit Chevy, while reliable and peppy on the bottom was like driving an old old car, 45-50 mph was what it liked...period. The Ford Coupe would be happy on the interstate. I know what a Flathead is capable of.

With that said I really do not know for sure if I want to go flathead.

I was amazed at what I found underneath my truck. Quality repairs and fabrications were expertly done. The fenders had been rebuilt but you would not know it unless you go under it and see the seams. All this was done before patch panels, mig welders and after market support. I suppose they are gas welded. Portions of the bottom of the cab has been rebuilt also. It was done in thicker gauge metal but it was done right.

In a sense, that work to is very interesting. It's kind of "original" to the time of the rebuild. It's an example of a truck that was rebuilt a long time ago. That's why I am leaning towards early-mid 60s style features.

This may be an impromptu build thread. I'm going to try and accomplish something every week, no matter how small.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:27 AM
Redgranite_Yooper
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no worries

If it were me I wouldn't be concerned for one second, finding a truck that is that solid, all steel, I wouldn't care the least that it had a 51 front clip. I've been to a lot of car shows, there are many trucks out there that have 48-50 front clips, with the wrong cab and the wrong box. Your truck will be unique, and with a unique story. I also think a bit of personalization in important, otherwise you may end up parking next to a truck identical to yours...

Old 12-19-2014, 07:27 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by F-ONE
I love original too. If I had it to do over again I may have never bought the F-1 and kept my "original" 50 Business Coupe.
Well, all that means is you need to have a 50 truck and a 50 car.

I don't like cutting frames. The engine installation you have is a very nice bolt in unit. It isn't the current high tech look that a lot of car show hot rodders go for, but who cares? I have never personally seen those guys drive their rods much anyway. It is easy to cut up a stock frame, it is difficult to put a stock frame together from a cut up one.

Also, as far as how the truck was built in the 60s, you know that. Your truck is still that way. If you rebuild your transmission and pay careful attention to the end play of the gears you can eliminate the popping out of second gear problem.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
You could try to trade the front clip with some one, if you like the monkey face better than the Manure spreader? You also have the later ash tray and glove box door...

Old 12-19-2014, 12:22 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Monkey Face and Flat Heads Forever.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:18 PM
F-ONE
Senior User

I'm pretty sure this was the original color of my 50. Comments from 2004...
I think I have found the original color behind the seat. At first I thought the light gray was dirty but on a closer look it appears to be aged paint. The color is a light shade of gray with a hint of green, blue, and yellow. It is a very hard color to describe. It is like you see light gray and think about a subdued minty green, a very pale sky blue, and a warm yellow all mixed together to make this light gray. Is this Silvertone Gray?
Took another look, it is indeed SilverTone gray. MMMM Imagine that truck as a monkey face.
I have a battered monkey face front clip no hood though. Took a look at it today and the fenders are rough but honestly, I suspect that's par for the course. Inner fenders and core supports look great.

Not only do have a flathead, I have the flathead that was original to the truck. A stock resto may be more doable than I thought.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:07 PM
ADOR
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That truck looks like now what it has taken a little time to get my truck to look like. It has taken a while to track down some of the old parts I have on it now and when I finally tear into the engine deeper I will be changing out the S-belt setup, putting my finned valve covers on with a few more older touches.

Since it has a 302 already I would keep that. Good engines and you can find parts anywhere.

Option one: If it works and it fits your driving I say keep it, but if you think you will be getting down on it any you may want to reconsider.

Option two: 302/c4 if you are going to change out the trans and plan on driving it why not a AOD? (I can't really say much about that either as I have a FMX in mine with a AOD in the shed) And the AOD's take a little tweaking if you are going to abuse them. I have a gennie shifter in mine with the 16" stick, wanted something that looked closer to stock.

Option three: I love the top loaders. I have a three speed in my 67 Mustang and have abused it for years. I have two more in the shop put up. If I wouldn't of had to do so much fabbing on mine to get it all to work with the hurst shifter I had on it already and clear the bench seat I would of put one in mine. With you already having all of those parts for the conversion this seems like a good choice as well.

All of my 3.03 toploaders are the RAN tag version with the 2.99 first gear. I have heard they are good up to around 500 hp if there is any truth to it.

I have only seen one of the 80's three speed with over drive in the junkyard. I was going to nab it but when I picked it up about 2 gallons of water came out, I didn't even bother opening the case to check.

Option four: I would like this myself but could never find a one that wasn't locked up tight. At least now IF I break down I can hit any parts store to fix it before I leave.

For the reasons given I think two and three will be your best options.

Original rear end is not a dana 44 it should be a dana 41 this is something to consider if you plan on "hot rodding" any.

I upgraded mine pretty easy to manual disk brakes and kept the stock suspension.

Quick Reply: Choices for stockish 50 F-1 ? and discussion