1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius (or XM) love it or otherwise

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 05:34 AM
asdrew
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
I like the Sirius. Let your subscription expire and then negotiate a better price. For me it works well.
I've done that several times too. I like the service for many reasons, but considering we only listen to one or two channels ever their service is way, way, way overpriced.

I also get annoyed at the huge $ add-ons to the advertised price, the bill always comes out substantially more once they add all the fine print fees

Another annoyance is the automatic renewal & billing with no notice. I would not be surprised if one day we are entitled to compensation from a class action lawsuit like Blockbusters and others.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:41 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i dont like it or sat tv either. i watch free tv and listen to free radio

Old 12-19-2014, 06:15 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I had made up my mind to cancel mine early this last time. I had "missed" the end of my previous term, and even marked it on the calender this time to cancel. When I called (you cannot cancel via the website, you must call to do so), I told them it just wasn't worth it(I was still paying full price), they offered to drop my monthly fee to $6. I still smelled a rat, and asked for how long, and they said for rest of contract. They also said that when I renewed, it would still be $6 a month on the next one. This is for the "full ride" programming with everything except the online portion, so I get all the channels.

If you call and tell them you want to cancel, and play hardball with them, they will cut the fee down rather dramatically. Now I feel kind of stupid for paying full price for a year to start with.

I still use the service (obviously), and normally listen to 4 to 6 channels, but sometimes on longer trips, I will go into a channel I don't listen to on my morning commutes (like blue collar comedy) and it's a nice change. For full price, no I don't think they're worth it. But for $6 a month, yeah, I'll stay with them. If they ever try to bump me up in fees again, I'll cancel them for sure and just switch back to my mp3 player.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:28 AM
DarrinBC
Senior User
I got a subscription for my wife for Christmas last year and she HATED it. Don't know that I can emphasize the word hate enough. We are both sound divas and the sound of that noise coming through a high end system was awful. When I called them to ask if there was a higher priced package I could get with better sound they told me that everyone wanted more available content and they only had so much bandwidth. Sound quality was far less of a concern so they compressed that to get more content.

They gave me my money back thankfully. if the sound was a whole lot better we would have kept it. Other than talk or comedy we just couldn't listen to it.

Seeing nobody else complain about sound quality tells me they must not have been wrong that this isn't a primary concern for most.

D

Old 12-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I did hear while it was active, the sound was no better than a regular FM Radio station. Certainly not a sound that I would have called crisp. It was fine for talk radio, but I hate listening to that crap unless it's a focused conversation of something I'm interested in. I get that with Podcasts now. The Car Doctor with Ron Annanian is one of my favs..
My wife was totally befuddled by the system and refused to even turn it on. When we tried listening to the radio in our new 2013 Mustang, it would not even play regular radio until we went through the registration process of Sirius - which was totally Effed up and we could not opt out.. It ruined our first drive in our new car.. I have hated it ever since and I could not get those @holes to quit bothering me with phone calls, emails and snail mails...

Old 12-19-2014, 07:04 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I like Sirius. I have the all access pass and paid full price for the first year. I paid half price for the most recent renewal.

I hear enough stuff on Sirius that I wouldn't hear otherwise that makes it worth the money.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
With a couple of exceptions, it appears that I'm not the only one that's dissatisfied with Sirius and their exorbitant charges plus the crummy selections that are offered. Perhaps if they were to dump that idiot (my opinion of him, of course)Howard Stern, and his $4-500 million contracts they could lower the costs per month.

I am on submitted invoice payment, not automatic as the notice suggests. I'll wait for their dunning phone call then tell them to go away - unless they give me a bunch better offer then close to $200/ year with "taxes and fees". Or I might just bring us into the 21st Century and upgrade to a smart phone from the 5-6 year old Samsung Convoy I flip phone that still works well () and do the Pandora 'thing' as the 2011 truck isn't equipped. I see that the Kindle Fire will also pick it up --- hmmmmmm

Old 12-19-2014, 08:00 AM
DaveNTx
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not going to renew my Sirius/XM subscription - has anyone disconnected the satellite radio (SDARS) module from their audio system? I keep getting the "Call Sirius XM" prompt on my audio display when I select the auxiliary input to play MP3s off a thumb drive.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first thing I noticed after Sirius bought XM was annual rate increases. It more than doubled in the 3 years after the acquisition that I had the service. Then came the switch to the Sirius format. That was it for me. I called and cancelled and haven't looked back. I get "special offers" to activate the Sirius radio on my truck and put them in the shredder. I even got a couple of Promo offers for my '06 F150 that I haven't owned for a couple of years now. I listen to my I-pod on the road and Pandora from my I-pod at home. Pandora is a much better deal. A lot cheaper and I don't have to listen to a loud mouth DJ. I wish Ford would make all of their vehicles Pandora compatible like Honda does.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrinBC

Seeing nobody else complain about sound quality tells me they must not have been wrong that this isn't a primary concern for most.

D

Not really it at all. I listen to mine in my TRUCK. Going down the road. With wind noise, road noise, traffic noise and bumps and all. Expecting a true "high fidelity" experience in that environment is pointless. It's "good enough" for a truck radio.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:48 PM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts
I don't love it but I'll keep it. Out here in the country we don't have a lot of options for stations and they fade out fast in the mountains and valleys. Most of the time I can keep a satellite signal when there is nothing else available.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:42 AM
Slick61
Junior User
I had XM radio for years... loved it. Cancelled it when I got a smart phone & Pandora app... it was ok, when I had unlimited data plan. When I leased my Edge last year, I realized how much I missed satellite radio. I found Pandora to be as repetitive & compressed as Sirius. I've renewed my subscription... and probably will again. The Sirius channels that I listen to have pretty good bandwidth/fidelity, and I've found quite a bit of new music that I then go online & download. Definitely liked XM better tho... MUCH less signal dropout in those days.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:56 PM
KellyfromVA
Senior User
Originally Posted by DarrinBC

D
I'm totally with you on this.. The sound quality is really pretty bad. Sirius needs to reduce the amount of niche channels like the all-Elvis, all-Grateful Dead and talk channels, giving those bits back to the popular music channels. I have it in my truck because I drive back and forth between Seattle and the Washington DC area once or twice a year. Having known programming available when i'm trying to drive 2,745 miles in 2.5 days is great. The audio quality on Sirius is crap.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:15 PM
railroader
Cross-Country
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I was lucky when the card I used for the subscriptions expired. They have been calling ever
since to get new card numbers and I finally heard them say they have special rates and would like to get me on one of their specials. I'm still avoiding them. I got tired of hearing the same thing every day. Besides, some of the channels aren't what they say they are. The comedy channels are sometimes okay. Not good enough for me.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:24 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Local radio content is poor for me here and I enjoy Sirius on my drives to and from work. At about $100 a year, it's not a bad deal for me. I wouldn't pay any more for it though.

Quick Reply: Sirius (or XM) love it or otherwise