Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have killed my truck for the first time and don't know why!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:38 AM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have killed my truck for the first time and don't know why!

Well, I have killed it and while I am sure this won't be the last time, I haven't got a clue why it won't start. As you can see in my signature it's a 7.3, I removed the banjo bolts on the ends of the heads to drill them out. Put them back in, buttoned everything up and it's a no start. Also, this thing is making a ton of noise and won't stop. Something used to build vacuum? NO idea. Does anyone have a clue? It just cranks and the batteries died pretty quick after trying about 3 or 4 times to start it. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Lambert01
Senior User
I forgot the purpose of that pump. You will probably want to start a thread in the 7.3 forum.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:07 PM
JuanHuevos
I got it to start, but it's running rough. 7.3 forum it is, good idea. Thanks!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
You made the same mistake I did back in 2008 listening to a guy by the name of Bill Hewitt. You'll need to buy some new OEM bolts to replace them.

While you're fidding with the fuel system, consider these mods:

Fuel Rail Crossover? (FRx) - Riffraff Diesel Performance

High Flow Fuel CVD Fitting Set - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Fuel Rail Banjo Bolt - Riffraff Diesel Performance

One stop shopping and you come out better in the end.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:57 AM
JuanHuevos
Yea actually I saw another video of a guy doing it too and who doesn't love free mods right? I posted on the 7.3 forum and the one response I got was that drilling the banjos is fine, but idk. Mostly yesterday I learned that I don't know a thing about diesels lol. I got it running fine and it drives great now. Apparently I had to work the air out of the system for it to smooth out. So I'll see how it goes, but yea last night I saw the replacement bolts on Riff Raff's site, I was thinking I should get some jic. What did it do to your truck when you drilled them? Thanks for the links, I will check those other things out too. And thanks for not making feel like a jacka$$

Old 12-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
Yea actually I saw another video of a guy doing it too and who doesn't love free mods right? I posted on the 7.3 forum and the one response I got was that drilling the banjos is fine, but idk. Mostly yesterday I learned that I don't know a thing about diesels lol. I got it running fine and it drives great now. Apparently I had to work the air out of the system for it to smooth out. So I'll see how it goes, but yea last night I saw the replacement bolts on Riff Raff's site, I was thinking I should get some jic. What did it do to your truck when you drilled them? Thanks for the links, I will check those other things out too. And thanks for not making feel like a jacka$$
We all started the same way, no issue with that. Toreador_Diesel is correct though, be careful what you do based on bad advice. We actually started carrying the stock replacement banjo bolts just because so many people were drilling them out and then breaking on reinstall or later down the road as they fractured. We have both the high flow and the stock replacements. If you have any questions just shoot us an email or call. We are happy to help you as you gain knowledge on your Powerstroke

Here is our high flow bolts as well.

http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/riffra...njo-bolt-7-3l/

Old 12-19-2014, 09:49 AM
JuanHuevos
Can't argue with that! I really appreciate it! I was worried about that, that they'd be awfully thin after drilled. I'll get them in order today

Old 12-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
My truck liked it initially, but it drank down diesel like you wouldn't believe. So I ended up having to replace the banjo bolts with some new OEM. That's why when Clay came up with the first gen Frx, I snatched it up.

Just noticed this on Riffraff's site: Riffraff Diesel High Flow Banjo Bolt - 7.3L - Riffraff Diesel Performance

I think you'll be better off with these as they're specifically engineered for more flow. My 6.0 is getting some of these after the Holidays!

Old 12-19-2014, 10:13 AM
JuanHuevos
Alright, they are on order. Do you think the truck will be alright until they arrive?

Old 12-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Alright, they are on order. Do you think the truck will be alright until they arrive?
You should be fine. Just keep an eye open for fuel leaks.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:45 AM
JuanHuevos
Will do, many thanks again.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:10 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you figured that out, thought you were going to have to change your screename to
JuanHuevosFrito

Old 12-23-2014, 05:51 PM
JuanHuevos
Got the new High Flow Banjos from Riff Raff today. They are installed and all is well again in Texas.
Here's a few notes about the install:
1. These do NOT come with O-rings so just be aware that you have to reuse your old ones or buy new ones separately. While removing the stock rear banjo, the o-ring fell off into the void of the engine bay never to be seen again. Thankfully I have an o-ring assortment and was able to find one that fit. So just be careful!
2. The new banjos have a 10mm hex head instead of the 1/4" drive square slot like the stock ones. Getting a 10mm wrench on the rear banjo was a bit difficult, I found it easier to go from underneath to tighten it.
3. The front banjo is actually easier to get to with the wrench instead of trying to fit the ratchet into the slot like stock.

They seem to be really high quality and thread in nicely. Now it's time to take it for a ride!

Old 12-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Got the new High Flow Banjos from Riff Raff today. They are installed and all is well again in Texas.
Here's a few notes about the install:
1. These do NOT come with O-rings so just be aware that you have to reuse your old ones or buy new ones separately. While removing the stock rear banjo, the o-ring fell off into the void of the engine bay never to be seen again. Thankfully I have an o-ring assortment and was able to find one that fit. So just be careful!
2. The new banjos have a 10mm hex head instead of the 1/4" drive square slot like the stock ones. Getting a 10mm wrench on the rear banjo was a bit difficult, I found it easier to go from underneath to tighten it.
3. The front banjo is actually easier to get to with the wrench instead of trying to fit the ratchet into the slot like stock.

They seem to be really high quality and thread in nicely. Now it's time to take it for a ride!
I am sorry about that, they come with orings installed and we must have missed them on yours. If you send me an email I would be happy to send you some

We also suggest a ratcheting wrench for better clearance on install.