1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

obs solid rear window swap

Old 12-17-2014, 09:40 PM
obs_psd
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
obs solid rear window swap

Hi, i was trying to figure out what trucks had a solid rear window that will swap into my truck. I have a 97 f350, i really want to do away with the sliding glass. Is the 97+ f150 glass different? Seems like most of the 96 and older f150s were mostly sliding rear windows. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:19 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You just have to look for the same body style. The 97+ F150's are a new body style, so no swapping parts there. Technically, I think that anything from 81-97 would work though, all three styles of cabs are almost exactly the same except for body lines.

But you want to get rid of a slider window? I'd like to HAVE one in my truck...

Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, the "girlie" F150 window is completely different. You need one from a '73-'96 truck (or '97 F250HD or F350). Yes, the '73-'79 trucks used the same glass; I just put a solid glass from a '78 into my '95.

Outer gasket/seal is different; you'll prob want a new one. Best price for a quality US made product is at Dennis Carpenter - Back Glass Seal | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts - NOTE: I would recommend Emailing or calling them, ask them to actually pick up one of these, and confirm that the package STILL says "Made in USA". I've gotten two of them recently (July and October), and they were US made. But I just bought a set of door jamb seals from them, that was also indicated "Made in USA" in the web site. When they arrived, the package said "Made in China". So they're evidently changing where they're sourcing their parts.

Originally Posted by lindstromjd
But you want to get rid of a slider window? I'd like to HAVE one in my truck...
Shoot, we swapped in a solid rear into our EC truck just before embarking on a cross-country trip that took us right through Des Moines. If I'd known, we coulda swapped. We ditched our sliders because they both started leaking just the last couple years. If you ever get up to WI, we could sell you one. But you'll prob. have no problem finding one in the boneyard.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:59 PM
obs_psd
4wd Low
Hey thanks for the response, i read something about the early trucks being the same. Just looking for a clear answer. I want to remove the slider because
1. I never use it
2. I hate seeing the post in my rear view mirror
3. It's a p.i.t.a. to get the thing open and worse yet is getting it closed, it just wants to bind. A little pb blaster will probably fix it I'd just like to have a solid.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:12 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced my slider with solid glass from the salvage yard right after I bought the truck. Slider had broken glass, and a part of it was broken anyway. It was a ticket or just get what I could at the time.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:34 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
^^^^ Nice composition, with the old Chev with the slider (from the same supplier originally, I believe) in the background....

Old 12-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Where are you located?! I've got a solid rear that I'd love to get the sliding rear put in!
Maybe we can make a swap! LOL

When my front windshield got cracked and I replaced it they only wanted like $180 for it all said and done. To get the rear replaced with sliding rear was like $360.

I dont remember why they were so much more, but I realized I didnt need a slider that bad!

Old 12-18-2014, 12:35 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^ Nice composition, with the old Chev with the slider (from the same supplier originally, I believe) in the background....

Haha! Good looking out, I never noticed that before. That truck got sold I think. I haven't seen it around in a while, forgot all about it really. One heck of a 4x4 though(that's all it gets)!

I never parked next to it to really compare the rear windows... Whether they would fit or not, I don't know. From the picture, they do look close though.

But all the F350's parked together in our parking lot, sometimes in descending order of year and make. Usually went my buddy ski's 97 7.3, mine, and then my buddy chris (can never remember the year) 87 or something 6.9IDI. All of them were CCLB's too haha. We basically all owned at least 9 parking spaces between the 3 of us. Two of us owned quads and would leave them chained up when we needed the beds for something else, and then I had my car too.

I don't really miss the slider, just one less point for a leak to happen.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:22 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
^^^^ They should re-stripe a section of your parking lot, for CCLB-size spaces . And +1 on the solid window; the sliders in both our '95s were leaking rain into the cab. Last thing we need is water leaks accelerating the rust.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:22 PM
obs_psd
4wd Low
Originally Posted by Awitte58
Where are you located?! I've got a solid rear that I'd love to get the sliding rear put in!
Maybe we can make a swap! LOL

When my front windshield got cracked and I replaced it they only wanted like $180 for it all said and done. To get the rear replaced with sliding rear was like $360.

I dont remember why they were so much more, but I realized I didnt need a slider that bad!
Hey, thanks for the response. I'm over in central California, I'd be game to trade you but i don't know what freight to Illinois would be. Not to mention my truck would have a fat hole in it until the new glass came 😄

Old 12-18-2014, 08:32 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
You really can't find a solid glass in a junkyard out there? Have you tried Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market ?

Old 12-18-2014, 10:44 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
^^^^ They should re-stripe a section of your parking lot, for CCLB-size spaces . And +1 on the solid window; the sliders in both our '95s were leaking rain into the cab. Last thing we need is water leaks accelerating the rust.
Right?!! I usually park in the middle of the parking lot, makes getting in and out easier, and more room to work there! That and people tend to not park next to a huge truck, and not expect some paint to come off if they park like a jack-as

Well the slider window was covered in silver tape and cardboard on one of the panes, luckily it did an alright job of sealing it all up. Ironically, that is the OE window seal from my window I used too.

You really can't find a solid glass in a junkyard out there? Have you tried Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market ?
Well depending on how friendly you are with the yard. If you ask, I've gotten them to actually call another yard for me. All those yards systems are linked, so they can find it pretty quick. Also, knowing the interchange years, makes them more likely to work with you instead of telling you they don't have it for your year/model. More times than not, they have(or know where to get) the glass you need and want, you just aren't asking the right questions!

Also, I've seen how Cali drivers drive. There is a window out there, you just haven't found it yet. And will be cheaper than paying freight for one.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:38 PM
obs_psd
4wd Low
I haven't checked yet, like i said i just wanted to verify years before i went digging.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:41 PM
obs_psd
4wd Low
Oh god i agree 100% my f350 is a royal pain to navigate some parking lots. It's like driving a bus

Old 12-19-2014, 05:56 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by obs_psd
Oh god i agree 100% my f350 is a royal pain to navigate some parking lots. It's like driving a bus
Tell me about it. Having the dually makes it even harder, less room for error if your backing into a parking space. Maybe investing in a backup camera isn't a bad idea, especially when that bumper sticks out so far!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: obs solid rear window swap