Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2014, 09:30 PM
Posting Guru

Mustang6147 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My first accident

Well it happened in NOV, a Camry turned in front of me and she ran into the front of my 06. It was impressive how she spun backwards and against the curb, and how I pulled into McDonalds parking lot after words.

The after math.... I get my truck back from the body shop, steering wonders and my brakes are spongy... SO I pick the front end up. I have 95000 miles my brakes are original, my pads still have meat but its low so I do my fronts. I find the lower right outter tie rod end is loose, so that's the wondering.... After I did my front brakes, ( pads, turned rotors ) I pulled the back apart to grease the slides and inspect. My right side seemed tight....

My brake pedal is spongy if I hold pressure on it, the peddle keeps dropping I feel a second click in the pedal, then it holds.

What do you guys think. I am battling with my ins the accident was her fault, everyone was OK. I just want my truck back to normal.
06 SuperDuty 4x4 extcb 5.4, TorqShift, 4:10.
90 Mustang 9's, 750 HP Windsor. Ultratech Chassis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pibt-TVgAx4

Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Get it inspected by someone that knows what they are doing
and NOT the place that did the work. Then I would call your
agent and ask what they think. But all that aside you may need
someone that knows your rights and what not.

Sean Click the image to open in full size.
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM
Posting Guru

Big-Foot is a splendid one to beholdBig-Foot is a splendid one to beholdBig-Foot is a splendid one to beholdBig-Foot is a splendid one to beholdBig-Foot is a splendid one to beholdBig-Foot is a splendid one to behold
Your pedal should never feel spongy from the time the pads are new until they are worn totally out - the master cylinder will compensate by pushing more fluid through the system until the pads remain in contact with the rotors.

It sounds like you either have some air in the system or your master cylinder may be bad.
Can you make the ABS function by slamming on the brakes on a sandy or wet surface?

1999 F250 Lariat SuperCab 4x4 v10 $old
2015 F350 Lariat CrewCab 4x4 DRW 6.7L/409CID PSD Bronze Fire Metallic over Caribou
Rage'n Stryker 5th wheel Toy Hauler - Arctic Cat Wildcat XT SxS
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
Elder User

tim.moman is starting off with a positive reputation.
+1 on getting independent inspection. Expert outside input so they will have to listen. Might have to make some noise with the ins people. Steering and brakes can fail DOT inspection, and it certainly should pass one after the work. doing work yourself though in the interim will hurt the effort to get them on it.
2004 F350 6.0 PSD CC DRW, ARP studs, 1mm over valves. 100psi valve springs. Amco guides, tucker seats, BPD oil cooler, EGR delete, cat delete, Innovative tune, Blue spring kit, air bags and rancho 9000s on all 4 corners.

Last edited by tim.moman; Yesterday at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
Elder User

droldsmorland is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you hammered the brakes before she hit you that can cause a week spot in the system to rear its ugly head. The week spot could be any of the soft lines or the master on its way out etc...Yes definitely have it inspected for your and others safety ASAP
Old Today, 12:01 AM
Posting Guru

Mustang6147 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Your pedal should never feel spongy from the time the pads are new until they are worn totally out - the master cylinder will compensate by pushing more fluid through the system until the pads remain in contact with the rotors.

It sounds like you either have some air in the system or your master cylinder may be bad.
Can you make the ABS function by slamming on the brakes on a sandy or wet surface?

I finished the rear brakes. SO now, all lines are inspected and look good, all rotors are turned, all pads are new. I didn't like the way the RR caliper looked so I put 2 new in the rear. Everything clean, painted nice SO it is done right. Greased slides.

My pedal feels better, but I get the feeling my front brakes aren't working.... Either my proportioning valve is stuck, or I am not sure. I cannot get my pedal to bottom out, so it hold pressure. The top of the stroke is spongy. I did try to lock up the brakes, no ABS or lock up.

I did call the ins, argued and said I shouldn't have too lawyer up, so they agreed to have a Ford dealer look at it. It just ticks me off.

Thanks for the replies
06 SuperDuty 4x4 extcb 5.4, TorqShift, 4:10.
90 Mustang 9's, 750 HP Windsor. Ultratech Chassis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pibt-TVgAx4

Old Today, 12:01 AM