1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Merry Christmas to Me!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merry Christmas to Me!

Hi everybody, I'm getting ready to buy a lift. I don't know which way to go. Two post or four post? Used or new? I will be installing it inside the garage. It will have the standard concrete floor for support. If I go with the two post, will I need to cut out part of the floor and pour footings? Has anybody gone through this process and were you happy with your choice? Jag

Old 12-17-2014, 06:23 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
I installed a used Rotary 2 post lift in my shop and have absolutely no regrets other than not doing it earlier.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:28 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
I.ve been kicking around this debate 2or4post for YEARS now and I've come to the conclusion I need both!

I'm going to buy a 9,000 2 post and hope that my 3.5" concrete will be good enough (they recommend 4" min). I figure I will never have anything heavier than say 5,000lbs on the lift so it should be fine. But I just may put a larger footprint of steel under the lift for added measure

Old 12-17-2014, 07:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Check out the Garage Journal, LOTS of discussions on lifts there. 2 post/4 post depends a lot on what you want to do with it, what vehicles too. I've never been keen on the "connection" of 2-post arms to frames that are 2" wide. Trucks with their front-end weight bias are particularly tricky. Here's some links:

10k lift will arrive Friday. Anything you wish you had done? - The Garage Journal Board

Has anyone had a MaxJax lift fail on them? (and lived to post about it) - The Garage Journal Board

2 Post Lift Failure! - The Garage Journal Board

Cars falling off lifts - why? - The Garage Journal Board

Help me pick a lift... - The Garage Journal Board

Old 12-17-2014, 07:26 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
I.ve been kicking around this debate 2or4post for YEARS now and I've come to the conclusion I need both!

I'm going to buy a 9,000 2 post and hope that my 3.5" concrete will be good enough (they recommend 4" min). I figure I will never have anything heavier than say 5,000lbs on the lift so it should be fine. But I just may put a larger footprint of steel under the lift for added measure
Check the link above on "Why cars fall off lifts"... a couple have pics of inadequate concrete. It's your butt...

Old 12-17-2014, 09:04 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
I went with the 4 post BendPak 9K with a jack to lift the car for when I need to remove the tires. Reason I chose the 4 post are. Issues with lifting trucks (locating the balance point), alot of my cars are low so moving the arms under is a real hassle, I don;t like to bend over and align the arms under, and am just not comfortable with two post.
I have 6 inches of concrete, I got the highest lift, measured from bottom of the ramps, so I can drive my truck under it. got longer entry ramps so to acommodate my low vehicles.
The air operated jack was the best investment, I can get all four wheels off, drop rear ends, remove trans, have not hit any obstacle yet

Old 12-17-2014, 09:34 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I have 4 post lifts that are mostly used for storage and a rotary assymetrical post 7k lift that I use all the time for actual work. They both have their place but if I could only have one I would go 2 post if you do a lot of work or 4 post for mostly storage and occasional work. My 4 post lifts have wheels so they can be moved around, I actually use two of them as elevators to put cars up on storage shelves.

As for concrete I have 5 1/2" thick slabs, I would think 4" would work but check with the MFG of the lift.

I buy my lifts used, it is not hard to find a good made in USA lift from a garage that is upgrading or closing. If going new I have heard good things about Greg Smith Equipment, not sure if they have a distribution center close to you or not.

Whatever you get you are going to wonder why you didnt get one sooner!

Old 12-17-2014, 09:35 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had the occasion to use each recently. If I were to have one it would be the four post. The two post requires getting down and placing the pads in the correct spot, the four post only requires driving on it. At 70, getting down to place those pads is not as easy as it once was.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:00 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I know a couple of guys that had the 2 post lift & they got rid of them & bought a 4 post lift,a car fell of of one of those lifts,i plan on buying a 4 post later on

Old 12-17-2014, 10:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Good advice from another thread on lifts:
"I sell, service, and install lifts as part of my living. I always get asked can you get me such and such a part for my Never-Heard-of-Em lift...Moral of the story is buy what you've heard of. I sell Challenger and Rotary, and my customers know 50 years from now I can easily get them parts. Seriously, every swinging-d sells a lift and quickly goes out of business...Moral of this story, you get what you pay for."

Old 12-18-2014, 08:11 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you will love it. I use a 4 post.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:51 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have a 4 post. About 14 years ago I bought a Perfect Park 7000. I like that everything is enclosed in the column. I bought the XLT model and the truck will just clear in the fully raised position and it is even made in the US.
Gemini Auto Lifts: Perfect Park 7000

Old 12-18-2014, 10:05 AM
homade
Posting Guru
I have a 4 post for a couple of reasons, Homade sits so low that on a 2 post I have to drive up on boards to be able to place life arms under frame. Another reason is I also have 4x4 trucks and to use the 2 post I have to take the running boards off and still use 8" of extentions to reach the frame and that makes me nervous. I love my 4 post but you need a rolling bridge jack to raise vehicle for brake jobs of tire change, bridge jack is additional 500.00 but well worth it, just saying.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:10 AM
homade
Posting Guru
ChuckRob: who ever say a working garage that clean, you need to pile a bunch of old truck parts around and pour a quart of oil on the floor and spread some kitty
-litter around, jokes aside, great looking garage.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, what a response. Thanks everybody. After reviewing all of those videos, my worst fears are confirmed. And, my knees are not as young as they used to be, so the idea of getting down on the concrete to carefully position the 2-post arms is not appealing. I will be getting the four post lift with the optional air jacks mentioned earlier. Now, all I have to do is research the manufacturers. I can afford a new unit, but if I can find a used one for about half price, I will probably go that way. This was the most info I have seen in one place for helping to insure proper purchase and use of a lift. Thanks again Jag

Quick Reply: Merry Christmas to Me!