Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 f150 4.9l starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 02:26 PM
xrsfsho
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 f150 4.9l starting problems

So as the title states i have a 93 f150 4.9l 5speed, as of yesterday morning i am having starting issues. It will crank and crank. Not wanting to start. After about 20seconds of trying to start it will start. I have ran the battery down(yesterday morning) trying to start it. No i checked fuel pressure. That is good. I have spark. The fuel pump runs for about 2 seconds. And from all i have read it points to the tps being bad. Is this correct? After i have it starting it runs great. Idles great, and power doesn't cut out or change at all throughout accelerate or driving. Does that sounds like the tps? Or are there other items it might be

Old 12-18-2014, 09:19 AM
xrsfsho
Senior User
So last night when the truck was running i disconnected the tps and the idle dropped. Then i disconnected the idle sensor and that jumped rpms.... now this morning truck cranks over and over. Key on engine off i checked the schader valve for the fuel pressure and nothing. When switching tank selector it shows the different levels in the tank. So what should i be looking at then. The pump sounds like its on. Only for a seconds or two like its suppose to be... sprayed starter fluid in the intake didn't start. I am lost. And im getting chewed out by the wife now about it.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:45 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Ok, if spraying starter fluid in the intake and no start, then that sounds like no spark. But you previously said you did have spark. Try removing the SPOUT connector when trying to start again, that should remove the PCM from controlling spark when cranking. It works, I know, especially if the stator/PIP has gone bad inside the distributor.

Have you pulled/check for codes?

When you turn the key to the "ON" position, do you actually hear the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds or so? Next step would be to check fuel psi. You said that "No fuel psi when pressing in on the tip of the valve". If you dont hear the pump kick in, then you may try banging the side of the fuel tank and see if starts. IF you cannot hear the pump in either tank that is selected, you need to check the fuel pump relay under the hood.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:22 AM
xrsfsho
Senior User
Originally Posted by timbersteel
Ok, if spraying starter fluid in the intake and no start, then that sounds like no spark. But you previously said you did have spark. Try removing the SPOUT connector when trying to start again, that should remove the PCM from controlling spark when cranking. It works, I know, especially if the stator/PIP has gone bad inside the distributor.

Have you pulled/check for codes?

When you turn the key to the "ON" position, do you actually hear the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds or so? Next step would be to check fuel psi. You said that "No fuel psi when pressing in on the tip of the valve". If you dont hear the pump kick in, then you may try banging the side of the fuel tank and see if starts. IF you cannot hear the pump in either tank that is selected, you need to check the fuel pump relay under the hood.
the spark was when the vehicle was able to start intermittently. Now that it won't start at all i haven't checked. Im at work now but if i get a chance tonight ill check. The pump sounds like its running (but mt buddies diesel was running next to my truck so it was hard to concentrate.) I will recheck everything now that its not cooperating at all. Where is the fuel pump relay located? I will do some research on the but if you have time and respond it would be awesome. Also the check engine light would come on when i turn the key on. But turn off when i started the vehicle

Old 12-18-2014, 10:41 AM
xrsfsho
Senior User
I believe i found it online. Mine is no longer a oem green relay and is grey. If im not mistaken

Old 12-19-2014, 01:50 PM
xrsfsho
Senior User
Just an update. I havent had time to work on the vehicle (wife had xmas party to go to for work two nights ago. And son was in the ER all night last night.) I did just in the truck out of habit this morning and try to drive it off. When i turned the ignition on i didnt hear the pump, i switched to the rear tank. And nothing with that as well. So i will be checking the intertia switch and relay when i get a chance. And also the coil and dizzy just for poops and giggles. Keep you up dated

Old 12-20-2014, 11:27 AM
xrsfsho
Senior User
I have been just working on it for minutes at a time unfortunately. But i did find out it was mot the inertia switch. So on to the next thing

Old 12-20-2014, 12:48 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
You might want to check the ground on the body by the battery.
Also check to see if the PCM Power relay does a click when the key is turned on & off.

/

Old 12-20-2014, 01:32 PM
xrsfsho
Senior User
Originally Posted by subford
You might want to check the ground on the body by the battery.
Also check to see if the PCM Power relay does a click when the key is turned on & off.

/
I will do that as soon as i can. I do here a click from what seems is the fuel pump (don't have anyone helping me when i get a chance to work on it) but no 1-2 second buzzing that you would hear if they were working....i have a second now that the baby is asleep to check the ground

Old 12-20-2014, 02:04 PM
xrsfsho
Senior User
I was able to sneak out and work on it for 5 minutes. Relay in engine bay clicks. Sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner in the intake. Started up and ran. Till it died sputtered out. I have a half tank of gas so i know its not low. So its either the pump or the filter or the fuel pump relay. Right?

Old 12-20-2014, 02:25 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
It can be one of those or the, fuse link or Computer itself. With the power relay clicking I guess the computer is get power to start itself up. Does the CEL come on as you start it and then go off?

Does the fuel pump relay click when you turn on the key and drop back out one second later?

Old 12-20-2014, 02:43 PM
xrsfsho
Senior User
It clicks then stops. The chack engine light comes on when the key is in the ignition ill spray some more fluid in and see if its on when the vehicle starts up. But it hasnt been recently

Old 12-20-2014, 02:56 PM
xrsfsho
Senior User
Checked just now CEL light goes off when the engine is running tthenthe engine sputters out

Old 12-20-2014, 02:57 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Check to see if you have power at the Inertia switch for one second each time you turn on the key at both wires.

/

Old 12-20-2014, 03:01 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
The wiring:

/

Quick Reply: 93 f150 4.9l starting problems