1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Talking to Wall"s about batts...

Old 12-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Cracker 73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris hate you had bad deal there they have started testing more to cut down on cost I guess. However the batteries are top quality and the best part is they are EVERYWHERE and 24/7 that makes it a no brainier. Johnson control is top shelf. I have had to replace a few it was really not a big issue I had tested they tested and replaced I have had them charge one but it still failed and was replaced. I was a Napa batt guy before and it's the same way I was using interstate in perry ga before but same thing test charge. Bottom line all batts fail no one wants to give a new one away BUT wal mart will do it all night and in 4177 stores in the US everyday. Sorry you had a bad deal and gave up before getting proper service.

Last edited by Cracker 73; 12-18-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-18-2014, 07:59 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by HKusp
I have been through several Interstates over the last 5 years. I had the green tops and about 2 years into it was having issues while out plowing. Stopped by a distributor and he commenced to telling me that the 85 month warranty did not apply to commercial vehicles and I had to buy a new one. I was stuck and shelled out the money.

I came here and ranted about it. Interstate contacted me through this board, gave me the number of the person I needed to speak to. Talked with him, and he asked me about the interaction, knew the guy personally, and said he would clarify the fact that he was wrong about the commercial exemption had me fax a receipt to him and sent me a check in the mail for the full price of the battery. Since then, I have had 4 more batteries at no charge to me. They have EARNED my business since my initial rant.

Last spring I had a local alternator builder build me a 160 amp alternator, hoping it can keep up with the plow, strobes, and salt spreader this year.

Here is a link to my Interstate saga: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...batteries.html

Jason,
I wanted to give you my interstate batteries experience today. But I have to tell you the back ground story first, alright here we go. I snowplow also and am a bit of a accessory hog. I have 4 sets of 48W led flood lights, western V plow, salt spreader, led overhead light and 4 TIR3 led flashing lights, strobes, etc. Now granted this all are not on or used at the same time but I do have quite an electrical load on the truck. So my current Wally world batteries are 2 yrs old and are having problems starting and run dead super fast if the truck is not running. So I went to the local electrical shop and talked to owner. Told him was was going on but stated that a high amp alternator wasn't gonna do me any good because most of my drain is at low rpms while plowing. He said go with a higher reserve battery to try and make up for the high amp draw at low rpm, and to wire in a trickle charger to top off the batteries every night. So I went my way to see if I could get a little more life out of the batteries and to think it over. Last week or so the batteries have gotten worse. I really would like the FGM diehard batteries but at $250 a piece I can't pull the trigger. So after reading this thread I looked up interstate and called the local dealer and got ahold of Phil the owner. I first of all asked about their glass mat batteries. He told me the price and that he didn't stock them. Started asking me questions as to what I use the truck for, what kind of truck, etc. He stated that he would not sell me those batteries because he didn't think they would work for my application. I thought that was really awesome myself. He stated that the Megatron 65 was my best fit but before he would even sell me batteries he asked me to come up to the store and he would test my batteries to see if I truly need batteries or that they are not being charged completely. He said that my alternator is only meant to replace the charge for what the truck is using and my not be able to replenish the added load of the plow, lights and such especially a single altenator truck. Which I don't know why it felt like it was a new thought but hit me as one. He was saying that as much as I don't want to hear it I probably abuse the batteries enough that they may only last me a couple of years at a time.

So anyways moral of the story I am still not sure about an altenator, I wish my truck had two of them. But is do believe that the interstate guy sold me with spending 15 mins on the phone with me and was actually trying to talk me out of batteries. I believe he earned my business.

Sorry about the long post but I think it was customer unheard of now days.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:24 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 217 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6

I have a load tester almost like the one posted and it only goes to 500amps, so to get a true reading of your batts you will need one that reads at least 1000 so you don't get a false positive.

To properly load test a lead acid battery you only load it to half it's rated CCA. This page explains available testing methods for LA Batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...acid_batteries

Old 12-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
The battery's primary function is to start the truck, and act as a filter for the electrical system. The alternator provides all of the power required for lights, ignition, accessories, and charge the battery. He gave you good advice.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:23 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
I don't know for certain, but I'd wager that auto start batteries are among the most frequently returned warranty item that really eats into profits. Why? Because they have no control over what it's installed in - a defective charging system will not keep the battery happy and it will soon be trash. So the battery gets blamed.
I worked for a national parts house in the 90's . We had a few pallets of new defective batteries in the back . We had to test all batteries before shipping . Fast forward to today .... I see a few batches of bad batteries from several sources now and then . Some have more problems than others .

Old 12-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

The battery's primary function is to start the truck, and act as a filter for the electrical system. The alternator provides all of the power required for lights, ignition, accessories, and charge the battery. He gave you good advice.

I am wondering if it's possible to get a alternator that puts out more amps at low rpm or is that the "holy grail" of alternators?? As in not gonna happen?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JWC 3
I worked for a national parts house in the 90's . We had a few pallets of new defective batteries in the back . We had to test all batteries before shipping . Fast forward to today .... I see a few batches of bad batteries from several sources now and then . Some have more problems than others .
A few pallets.. Out of thousands? It makes sense to test new batteries. And charge them, another common mistake. New batteries should be charged before installation. The last one I bought took several hours at a low rate to come up to charge. It was only a couple months old.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:47 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
A few pallets.. Out of thousands? It makes sense to test new batteries. And charge them, another common mistake. New batteries should be charged before installation. The last one I bought took several hours at a low rate to come up to charge. It was only a couple months old.
Notice , I stated some have more problems than others . I did not mention which ones .....

Old 12-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Cracker 73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with a 6.0 alt cheap and more power or change your truck to dual alt and add 2 1100 amp big truck batts in bed and rock on also you can change pulley size during plow season if ya got to go to extremes firefighter

Old 12-19-2014, 06:33 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Cracker 73
Go with a 6.0 alt cheap and more power or change your truck to dual alt and add 2 1100 amp big truck batts in bed and rock on also you can change pulley size during plow season if ya got to go to extremes firefighter
I have thought about swaping to a 6.0 140 amp alternator, it stinks though because I have a brand new 7.3 altenatlor that I carry in the truck for a spare. Maybe I will drop that new one off and see how much it would be to beef it up to a 140-160 amp one. See if I can get it done cheaper then a 6.0 altenatlor. I have thought about pulley size. Would have to get a smaller belt I think, I watched a YouTube video on a guy that did that and he played hell getting it to not squeak.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Years ago I bought a "Power Punch" script battery from New Castle battery for my rolling pile. A conventional maintenance batt and expensive. Shipped dry, they require the end user to purchase electrolyte locally and fill the batt and charge for 12 hours, reach the correct specific gravity

Well I didn't have a charger then and didn't know anything about batteries, but I did have a voltmeter. Hey! It reads over 12 volts! I don't need no stinkin' charger!

Dropped it in, truck started fine. For a while. You can see where this is goin', right? Batteries are one of the most neglected and abused truck components and the retail price we pay is partly reflected by all the warranty returns that are really the fault of the end user. If I sold batteries for a living they would always be charged 100%

Old 12-20-2014, 12:37 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I put new batteries in mine last September or October, and I bought a little Schumacher 1-1/2 amp "smart" charger to keep under the hood. When it's sitting in the driveway, it's plugged in!

I wanted to do that LAST time I bought batteries, four years ago, but didn't also get that "round tuit" on order back then.

We'll see...........

Pop

Old 12-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I just bought one of these today from amazon. I have 3 red top batts and one is from Dec 05 and the is Nov 07. They both are low on amps, one at 400 something and the other at 500 something and the other is at 749 with a build date of Aug 12. I hope I can revive them back up to 800.

Amazon.com: Optima (150-40008) Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: Optima (150-40008) Battery Charger: Automotive

Old 12-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Is one trickle charger enough? Or do I need one for each battery? And how many amps should the charger be to charge the batteries?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
Is one trickle charger enough? Or do I need one for each battery?
Only hook up 1 trickle charger. It will charge both batteries.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Talking to Wall"s about batts...