6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

HELP !!! IN/OH line... HELP US get Lisa To SDS

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Super Duty Service
The heads are mine Shane. I actually have 8 extra heads available. I have been buying "projects". Lol.
Very smart to have them on the shelf ready to go

Not to hijack your thread, but out of all the heads you've had worked on. What % have been unusable due to cracks?

Old 12-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
I'd swap em. As long as the other customer isn't paying more.
It's not like you're tracking serial numbers and such
I agree. AND so long as your not taking it in the shorts too.

5 days and counting.
Merry Christmas

Sean

Last edited by Yahiko; 12-19-2014 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Needs larger "Marry Christmas"
Old 12-19-2014, 09:36 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko

I agree. AND so long as your not taking it in the shorts too.

5 days and counting. Merry Christmas

Sean
Agreed!!! Looks like he has extra sets anyway so he's always ready to bust one out!!

2006 F350 4X4

Old 12-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Well being the time of year it is.
Anthony needs a white beard and a bit more belly.
Well more that just a bit more. He has the red F150 (Nice truck)
with the flames. Someone may have some reindeer he can use.
But I bet they don't fly

It is a red F150 ?? Brain is fading fast. If not we can find him a RED TRUCK.
No one call the fire dept. please. That is not the red truck I am thinking of.

Sean

Old 12-19-2014, 10:12 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Runs-wifey
Actually , the heads are for the truck Anthony just bought for me ... But what's mine is his and if we can get Lisa home for Christmas that is all that matters!
Nice Thanks Julie for giving one up for the Brother Hood I'm sure Anthony will make that one up for you ( ) (right Anthony

Old 12-19-2014, 11:57 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I asked Lisa about the set I just picked up and I think we are gonna have to wait on hers. I forgot the heads I have ready are 18mm. Lisa has 20 heads n block. Kinda be a drag to split up the combo (even tho step dowels are made for this). I was in tunnel vision with her truck and spaced off the fact the set was 18's. They will definately work,, but if it was my truck,, I'd not want to break the pair. Not to mention,,, there are a couple little cracks in the seats of the 18's. Not a deal breaker,,,, for my truck,,, but I was not wanting to sell them. Cracks that actually break through to the coolant jacket are about as rare as a failed late model hpop. But that's neither here nor there,, the heads are not a spot I wish to gamble when my name is on the line. Plus,, I need to test in real world use when a crack can actually cause a problem. It won't be the first time I gambled on my own truck. I'm not a fan of pinning either. Plus if doing seats do not cut the entire crack,, then the crack could (would) spread,, and could loosen the fit on the seat,,, then were really in trouble!!! It just sux that the one time I'm thinking about stocking heads,,, They are questionable. Maybe it's a sign that I should just stick to the way we have been doing things. I will still continue to get all my extra heads worked,, hopefully I can find a perfect set to start off the rotation. Her heads are at the machine shop,, but it's the weekend and they won't be open until Monday. So maybe we can get started on Monday afternoon. What a drag tho. I sure wish I could've made this happen. I was 12 hours late getting everything done here and cleaned up and ready for her job,, and her breakdown also would've put us behind. We got our last job done at about the same hour she showed up here. So I felt that was a nice sign. However,, if both of us were ready 12 hours before we were,,, the machine shop would've had her heads on Thursday morning,, then they would be done right now. I wasn't even ready until she got here,, so it's on me that we are behind.

I just hope they keep the faith,,, I'm not gonna let anything compromise the job. I use a phrase,,, money comes n goes,,, and time is gonna pass,, but a crappy job lasts a lifetime!!! The cost is racking up too and I think it is causing them to have a sour taste toward us. Lisa needs 4 injectors (remember the fuel issue?), and she wants to do all 8. I told her she can never go wrong with total replacement,, but the wallet sometimes hates it!!! Plus doing both fuel tanks adds tremendously to the tally. I'd like to see her do a fuel pump too,, it was working its tail off trying to pull fuel from the delaminated tank(s).

So as for the diagnosis,, the dummy plug was the reason for the no/hard start,, but the fuel was why she was not able to keep going on her way here. I like doing stuff like this,, I just hope no one feels like I don't care about getting the job completed,, not just with the quality,, but the cost too. It's darn expensive when we are going for quality. I will try and keep you all updated,, I have a couple filler jobs in right now that I can do,, but I'm planning on having the fuel lines clean,, tanks in and full,, the pump in, and everything ready for the heads. She also needs to swap her alcoas because she rotated tires. Once again,, I just hope her dad isn't regretting anything.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:14 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 2,087 Posts
Nice job and no stone left unturned especially the tanks. Wonder if the quality of the tank or percentage of bio diesel caused the tank to fail.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:51 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
You're doing the right thing. In the long run she will be better off. Basically a new truck that should be reliable for years to come.

2006 F350 4X4

Old 12-20-2014, 10:11 AM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Nice job and no stone left unturned especially the tanks. Wonder if the quality of the tank or percentage of bio diesel caused the tank to fail.
My thoughts exactly. Can we all expect our tanks to eliminate like that? What causes it and how do we avoid it?

Old 12-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
It's a 450-550 thing,,, You only have tank issues if you have no spare tire hanger under the back and that is where your tank is. It's called an aft-axle tank. But the nicer trucks (like Lisa's), has a switcher valve and has another smaller tank where the regular super duty tank resides. And if the truck is equipped with dual tanks,, the mid-ship tank (the smaller one-20 gal) is steel also,, which suffers from delamination as well.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:36 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have the metal tanks then yes it can be expected after time.
You can have it relaminated or change out tanks. This is assumeing you have someone in your area that can relaminate. We do not that I have yet found.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:25 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Super Duty Service
It's a 450-550 thing,,, You only have tank issues if you have no spare tire hanger under the back and that is where your tank is. It's called an aft-axle tank. But the nicer trucks (like Lisa's), has a switcher valve and has another smaller tank where the regular super duty tank resides. And if the truck is equipped with dual tanks,, the mid-ship tank (the smaller one-20 gal) is steel also,, which suffers from delamination as well.
I've got the aft axle tank. It was clean when i got the truck but will be looking out for it.

2006 F350 4X4

Old 12-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Money-Pit
you must be near my old stomping grounds....born in Dayton. I was just up there in September.
Around I-74 and I-275

Old 12-20-2014, 10:03 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dannyboy950
If you have the metal tanks then yes it can be expected after time.
You can have it relaminated or change out tanks. This is assumeing you have someone in your area that can relaminate. We do not that I have yet found.
We are lucky that the radiator shop has all of them on the shelf ready. The lining they put in it is like a hard white plastic coating. I did just sell a brand new one last week because that one had a hole rusted in the top. The rad shop requires a good core for the coated swap.

I can get you new tanks with ZERO coating for about 400 plus shipping. That customer was WELL informed that I can not warranty the coating. That tank itself comes with a lifetime warranty tho. But no consequential damages paid. I didn't want to sell it because I can't vouch for it,,,, yet. He was ok with us keeping an eye on his filters for a long time. The radiator shop sells new tanks for $750!!!!

Old 12-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
I had to replace the tank in my Ex due to someone error/poor judgement when they installed a new hitch.

Ford wanted 3200 for a new one. The shop I use found a used one with filler neck for 375.

Quick Reply: HELP !!! IN/OH line... HELP US get Lisa To SDS