Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Stacks or dual chrome tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:35 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Stacks or dual chrome tips?

I have a 91 7.3 and it is a daily driver. I have read that at first stacks, what I was originally going to get, are only good when you first get them but the people who I've read on don't like them after a while. I heard they tend to melt stuff that might rub against them and create soot. My second option is dual chrome tips.

So my question is if you have stacks on your daily driver.. Do you like them? Do they get "annoying" after a while? Would you recommend me to get dual chrome tips or dual stacks for a daily driver?

Thanks.

-Joshua

Old 12-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Personally I don't like the dual tips the new trucks have. Mine's getting a single 3" out in front of the rear tires, the old setup is a full 3" exhaust that looks fairly stock with a 4" tip (pointless since the pipe wasn't trimmed back and is flush with the end).
Stacks are great if you need them, but do hog bed space, melt stuff, blow soot chunks back down into the bed once in a while, and if you tow a camper it'll get sooted like the old dry vans.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:31 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my stacks on the 79. That being said, i would never deal with having them inside the bed, waste of space and why cut holes in a good bed? Flatbed: Yes, Flareside: Yes, Styleside: No

Old 12-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Coutu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think stacks look stupid.
If you want stacks, get a tractor trailer haha...

Old 12-20-2014, 02:39 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have had stacks for almost 10 years and I'm still not sick of them. If I get another truck, I am taking my stacks with me. If I could get a tag axle on my truck, I would be in mini-trucker heaven. They don't take up that much space, I still fill my bed with dirt and rocks and an occasional ATV. I have my turnouts angled so soot on the paint is not an issue either.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Red454sedgwick
Posting Guru
I thing I hated about my truck with a stack is that when I was pulling it was loud enough to give me a head ach, but I put on a muffler and solved that. I cut a hole in my be it's just a 3" stack so it doesn't take up any space. and I left a 3 inch gap around it so stuff would fall out instead of melting on the stack.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:47 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
No stacks, ever.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:33 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
Bottom line, personal preference. If you like them, do it. It's your truck. I like the 4" straight pipe all the way out behind the tires. That's with a turbo though. I think a straight pipe on a non-turbo would be a little loud. Mine gets a little loud when I get the rpms up.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:08 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
I shouldve gotten a little more in depth about the spacial issue. Lets assume you run traditional 5" stacks. That means the toolbox has to sit at least 6" back from where it normally would. Just that means i cant close the tailgate on my fourwheeler. Then you add a slip tank into the mix and you cant even pull a gooseneck.

Visually, most times i like stacks, particularly Sycostangs, which ive seen in person and is just as gorgeous as it is in the pics btw lol. Just for me with what i do, i cant justify em on the 92. It is however getting a diamond eye dual 4" kit.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:12 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
I shouldve gotten a little more in depth about the spacial issue. Lets assume you run traditional 5" stacks. That means the toolbox has to sit at least 6" back from where it normally would. Just that means i cant close the tailgate on my fourwheeler. Then you add a slip tank into the mix and you cant even pull a gooseneck.

Visually, most times i like stacks, particularly Sycostangs, which ive seen in person and is just as gorgeous as it is in the pics btw lol. Just for me with what i do, i cant justify em on the 92. It is however getting a diamond eye dual 4" kit.
I was planning to get stacks and move the tool box back but then I feel like I wouldn't like how much space I would have as it would be significantly less than it is without stacks. I think I am going to go with a dual exhaust with chrome tips. If in the future I change my mind then I will get stacks but right now my mind is set on getting chrome tips. Thanks for the reply!

Old 12-21-2014, 11:51 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
No problem, another thing that occured to me, if you ever decide you want a slide in camper or shell youre SOL with stacks too. Next, you can get a full stainless turbo back dual 4" exhaust for just the cost of the stacks. Getting even more finnickey, i personally prefer straight cut or mitered stacks, so then you have to have somewhere to park out of the weather or youre replacing elbows every couple years. Also water + soot = mess. Oregon staters also like to screw with people that have "modified" vehicles, so theres that to deal with too.

So like you, i came to the same conclusion, that for cost, effectiveness, and practicality, a dual 4" will still get the job done, still sound pretty good, and will look nice with a set of rolled 5" chrome tips.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:35 AM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Na dual 4" will still get the job done, still sound pretty good, and will look nice with a set of rolled 5" chrome tips.
That's my exact plan right there!

Old 12-23-2014, 03:00 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
I did stacks for awhile on my truck, always with a muffler.

For one I just could not make them sound like I thought they should (sounded too much like a gasser), and two the truck barely ever made a puff of smoke so they didn't even look that cool driving

I pulled them off and sold the whole setup, ran it dumped under the bed with a 4" Walker big rig resonator, and it sounded better like that than it ever did with the stacks. Had a little growl to it kinda like a cummins.

For awhile I thought about doing the dual 4" route (and had a whole box of 4" mandrel bends to build it out of) but decided it just wasn't worth the effort.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:51 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ghunt
For one I just could not make them sound like I thought they should (sounded too much like a gasser)

This is why

I did stacks for awhile on my truck, always with a muffler.

People always compare the 6.9/7.3 to a "gasser" Makes zero sense to me whatsoever. It sounds like a V8.... I had the stacks on my 79 for about a month before i put the 7.3 in. It sounds NOTHING like a gas engine. If you think its going to sound like a 6 cylinder (about half of medium duty diesels and like 98% of class 8) just because you put stacks on it... i cant help your logic, but i could tell you how to put a cummins or a DT 360 in to get the "sound" you want.

On the note of a muffler, i was NA no muffler, got a ticket for no muffler (i was idling the whole time the cop was next to me... wtf). So to get it dropped i had to put a muffler on, i bought a 3" x 42" or something glasspack and tossed on. Sounded horrible, way too quiet for one thing, but also yes, cruising down the road you couldnt tell it was a diesel from the exhaust because the muffler killed the sound. Needless to say, got ticket dropped, went back to straight pipe, which does in fact sound amazing, but is a teeny tiny bit loud if you are NA. Cruising around town youre fine, its only loud if you get around 2400 rpms. Also, a turbo signifigantly quiets down the exhaust, specifically on a V8, not as much on a 6cyl i dont think... then again might be me because im clearly in the minority thinking inline 6cylinders sound absolutely terrible. I mean who doesnt want a pickup that sounds like a honda and drones all through the powerband?

Old 12-24-2014, 09:57 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
People always compare the 6.9/7.3 to a "gasser" ...It sounds ..NOTHING like a gas engine.

Yeah ok. It sounds like a big block gas V8. A high compression, low-revving big block, because that's basically what it is. The turbo doesn't change anything except that you hear the turbo in the low RPM's before the rest of the engine noise overpowers it.

I didn't say I wanted it to sound like a cummins, I would have been happy if it sounded like a Powerstroke, but it sounds like a brappy, straight piped V8 if you use straight pipes on it, and I know because that's what I had first.

Quick Reply: Stacks or dual chrome tips?