2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Does The F-150's Fake Engine Noise Bother You?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 03:11 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I think the fake noise is in the upper trim level trucks, Lariat and above. I'm not sure but I think the sound was only on the 3.5 for 2015.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:18 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I really don't understand why everyone's up in arms over this. Manufacturers have been modifying the way their engines sound since the very first automobiles long before any of us were alive.

I could honestly give a crap less what my engine sounds like. My lowly XLT model doesn't have the sound enhancement, and that's just great. If it was a Lariat with the fake sound that would be fine too. There are lots of things that actually mean something to me, such as efficiency, towing ability, hauling ability, interior layout, quiet ride, reliability, and other things that affect how the truck actually works for me. It can sound like Marvin the Martian's spaceship for all I care.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:31 PM
pikapp
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be honest, I'm not sure I've even heard the fake noise. Too busy enjoying all the amenities and with Sirius or a CD blasting, don't hear much else anyway...

Old 01-31-2016, 03:43 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by pikapp
To be honest, I'm not sure I've even heard the fake noise. Too busy enjoying all the amenities and with Sirius or a CD blasting, don't hear much else anyway...
Your truck is an XLT, so it doesn't have it. Lariat and higher trims have it.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:02 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I really don't understand why everyone's up in arms over this. Manufacturers have been modifying the way their engines sound since the very first automobiles long before any of us were alive.

I could honestly give a crap less what my engine sounds like. My lowly XLT model doesn't have the sound enhancement, and that's just great. If it was a Lariat with the fake sound that would be fine too. There are lots of things that actually mean something to me, such as efficiency, towing ability, hauling ability, interior layout, quiet ride, reliability, and other things that affect how the truck actually works for me. It can sound like Marvin the Martian's spaceship for all I care.
I have a more lowly XL and it suits my wife and I well.
All we needed was a fuel efficient commuter vehicle with a bed.

I hope to hear what the simulated V8 sound actually sounds like one day.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:10 PM
Tnriverside
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting reading. I'm still driving a 5.4 V8. I do like the V8 sound. I have been looking at a new 3.5 EB. The test drives have been great. My only concern about the fake sound would be if it interfered with my ability to hear the real sounds produced by my EB. That would be a real concern.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:34 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
IMHO & a SWAG, I'm betting it was the cheapest solution.......the cost of engineering the sound away that people didn't like cost more than the "e-solution".

Old 01-31-2016, 09:30 PM
AlexWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
There are lots of things that actually mean something to me, such as efficiency, towing ability, hauling ability, interior layout, quiet ride, reliability, and other things that affect how the truck actually works for me.
Does "vroom, vroom" coming out of the speakers count for or against "quiet ride"?

Old 01-31-2016, 10:34 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexWV
Does "vroom, vroom" coming out of the speakers count for or against "quiet ride"?
I donʻt think his truck has this feature.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:07 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom

I'm with you Tom! In another 20 or 30 years, the only sound anyone will hear is the hum of the electric motors and/or fuel cells anyway. I've seen and ridden in a Tesla (both the original roadster and a model S), and the quiet power of that car is still very impressive to me!

Old 02-05-2016, 09:17 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
As others have stated, sound enhancement has been around awhile, I think the issue most folks have is that it's a big Bad Azz American truck, so we have a subliminal desire to hear that old V8 burble of yester year. Some vehicles we just expect to sound different, for instance, folks that hate the Ecoboost sound in the F150, love the sound of the new Ford GT with the Ecoboost.....it's all relative. My wife has a Porsche Macan Turbo, 3.6L Twin Turbo, everyone loves the sound (it's loud with the baffles open!), put the same engine in the F150, and it would be the worst thing since prohibition!
All that being said, because of consumer perceptions, attitude, (Whatever you want to call it) Ford is using sound enhancement to address the issue and appease the majority of buyers. When BMW started using a smaller V8 in the M5 instead of the V10, they used sound enhanement to placate their customer base, even though the V8 version blows the doors off of the V10 in every aspect. It's not only exhaust note that gets people worked up (especially loyal customers to a certain brand, model, etc), when Porsche transitioned from non power steering to hyd. assit steering, folks broke out the hot tar and pitch forks, same thing when they transitioned to electric power steering,it was sacreligious to hamper any road feel in the steering of a 911, purists never want things to change, but demand more performance.......always been that way, will always be that way.
So, if you like the V8 sound, buy the 5.0l (which sounds amazing!) or purchase one of the EB options and crank up the tunes, I suggesst some 80's Southern Rock, say Blackfoot is a good choice!
Pretty sure I will be trading the 6.7 PSD (which sounded like a pissed off hair dryer before deleting) in the very near future on a F150, not sure which engine I'll opt for yet, but sound enhancement won't be part of the equation in making my choice.
I don't begrudge anyone's opinion, I understand both sides. I just think it's much ado about nothing, and yes Tom, I'm off my meds!

Y'all have a great day!

Old 07-14-2016, 04:44 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
When did they start this on the mustang? Or is it not with the 5.0?

Old 07-14-2016, 06:54 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by rsylvstr
When did they start this on the mustang? Or is it not with the 5.0?
If it's already a V8, why in the world would you need (or want) a fake V8 sound? It's already doing it!

Or as Ricardo Montelbon used to say, "The look of rich wood is achieved by using rich wood."

Old 07-14-2016, 07:09 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
If it's already a V8, why in the world would you need (or want) a fake V8 sound? It's already doing it!

Or as Ricardo Montelbon used to say, "The look of rich wood is achieved by using rich wood."
Not sure if they still do it, but the '11 Mustangs had a sound tube that piped noise from the intake directly into the cabin. I liked it, but lots of folks disconnected it.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:45 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy

I don't. That's why I'm asking.

Quick Reply: Does The F-150's Fake Engine Noise Bother You?