2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Does The F-150's Fake Engine Noise Bother You?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:46 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Not sure if they still do it, but the '11 Mustangs had a sound tube that piped noise from the intake directly into the cabin. I liked it, but lots of folks disconnected it.
I guess some of us are sound animals...

Old 07-14-2016, 10:21 PM
Schlotzky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even though I feel the sound "enhancement" is a bit lame and trucks should always have large displacement V8s, I think the fake engine noise makes sense on these things if the a little V6 is the engine they're going to push to traditional truck buyers, especially considering how near-silent the EB is in an XLT model. That said, I find it hilarious when people say it sounds like a V8, as that couldn't be farther from the truth. What it sounds like is a bass-heavy EQ'd generic recording of a V6 from a video game.

If they made it convincingly sound like the 5.0 at all RPMs, the better torque curve would be enough to sway me, but as it stands, I always find myself missing the V8 rumble when I drive an EB

Old 07-15-2016, 12:18 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I prefer the nice quiet whoosh of my EcoBoost over the sound of my 6.2L. I hope there will be a way to disable that sound when the time comes for me to get my next truck.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
GM has gone the opposite way with their trucks. They use some sort of noise cancelling like the way Bose noise cancelling headphones do. I know the GMC Sierra Denali is much quieter than my King Ranch at interstate speeds.

I will eventually unplug my engine noise maker (i need to get a pin removing tool) or get it turned off by my dealer.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Schlotzky
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
GM has gone the opposite way with their trucks. They use some sort of noise cancelling like the way Bose noise cancelling headphones do. I know the GMC Sierra Denali is much quieter than my King Ranch at interstate speeds.

I will eventually unplug my engine noise maker (i need to get a pin removing tool) or get it turned off by my dealer.
Now that's a technology I wish were more prevalent. Although GMs best in class quiet cabin is due entirely to passive means, and they just use the system to run their 6.2L engines at a more optimal RPM and cancel out the drone, my Bose headphones do such an incredible job of quieting things down, it would be very welcome in a highway situation.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:14 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Is there such a thing as an after market noise canceling system? That would be an uber-cool tech add-on.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Schlotzky
Senior User
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
Is there such a thing as an after market noise canceling system? That would be an uber-cool tech add-on.
Due to the complexity of the system, needing multiple microphones throughout the cabin and individually controlled speakers to be effective, I'm not sure we'll see this in the aftermarket any time soon.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:55 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Not that I have one....was unaware the dealer could turn off the phony noise maker. Is that the case?

Old 07-15-2016, 03:40 PM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
Yes, it can be.......for a cost. I've read that some got it done for no charge. Others, a one hour tech charge. If you are somewhat computer savvy it can be done using FORscan. You can read more on another forum.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:16 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
As a 3.5 L EB owner, I like the sound of my engine. However, if it was the 5.0, I'd like the sound of that too, as long as it wasn't too loud that is. However, since I bought the truck to tow and haul and drive, the sound wasn't really a deciding factor to me.

As for saying its childish of Ford to adjust the tone? Well, being who they are, I'm sure they didn't just decide to do it, but actually researched it, ran the numbers, and decided it was worth investing in, to market to the customer base they are targeting.
Ford has proven to me that time and time again, they have produced reliable vehicles, even if I don't agree with everything they do, some silly noise thing isn't going to change that perspective.

Oh and I guess if noise modification is what makes you buy another brand, well enjoy, but you may want to join the other brands forum as well.