Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

general OBS questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:10 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by rla2005
Am I missing something here Brad?
You know more about them than me. My knowledge is limited on how poorly they made them(Like most conversions)

Old 12-18-2014, 09:41 AM
BoomerTexas70's
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeoJr
Depends on what you are after. Without meaning to, this crew cab short bed with a topper looks a little like a 4 door Bronco. Tighten up the bed to cab gaps, maybe a little colored tape to reshape the topper windows, and you'd fool most of the people. This one already gets a double-take.

The 4 dr Bronco's do look really good! There's a 6 door version in process by a gu named 'maverick' or similar.

But if you want to pull a 5th wheel with any amount of doors on a Bronco, you'd have to plug the cab end somehow.

Think you could elaborate on what you meant by "have to plug the cab end somehow".

Thanks Boomer

Old 12-18-2014, 09:47 AM
BoomerTexas70's
Elder User
Originally Posted by rla2005
But the Centurion may be a decent base for your project.
The idea came from liking my wifes OBS extended cab, and i own an excursion. So once i thought of having and OBS style excursion i started to use my imagination on the easist way to build one. This was before ya'll showed me the centurion, i had decided to go with a crew cab and donor bronco body. That way i still have use and access of the bed for hauling/towing (5th wheel), but wanted to stay as true as possible to the excursion with the aspect of a full length and full enclosed cab (non seperate bed).

I do like that white cc with the bed cap, might be anpther option to cut and build from just a truck...

OPINION TIME,

Thanks everyone Boomer

Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerTexas70's
Think you could elaborate on what you meant by "have to plug the cab end somehow".

Thanks Boomer
To hook up a 5th wheel you need to have access to the truck bed (OK, so I'm being obvious). Broncos have removeable hard tops, so you could take the top off to get access to a 5th wheel hitch installed inside the Bronco. But that's going to leave you with the entire back of the cab open. Sure you could drive like that, but you're not going to want to in a lot of weather.

If you want to be able to pull a 5th wheel without having to worry about weather you're probably better off just sticking with a crew cab pickup. You lose the 3rd row seating, but you'd have to take the 3rd seat out anyway when you've got a trailer hooked up. It also means your cargo area won't be inside the cab, but you can still get a topper for when you aren't towing and stuff would still be enclosed, just not heated or air conditioned.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:09 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Boomer
Nothing Special says it more eloquent than I.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:14 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The idea came from liking my wifes OBS extended cab, and i own an excursion. So once i thought of having and OBS style excursion i started to use my imagination on the easist way to build one. This was before ya'll showed me the centurion, i had decided to go with a crew cab and donor bronco body. That way i still have use and access of the bed for hauling/towing (5th wheel), but wanted to stay as true as possible to the excursion with the aspect of a full length and full enclosed cab (non seperate bed).

I do like that white cc with the bed cap, might be anpther option to cut and build from just a truck...

OPINION TIME,

Thanks everyone Boomer

Is your plan to mount an OBS body onto your Excursion frame?

Old 12-19-2014, 07:51 AM
BoomerTexas70's
Elder User
I see what your saying, bronco top leaves the cab exposed whe hauling unless there was a removavle partitian. Thanks.

No, i do not intended to build on the excursion frame/drive line I really like the OBS 4wd 7.3l set up. I also figure i can save a ton of time not having to do a frame/body re-alignment. Thoughts?

Thanks Boomer

Old 12-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see what your saying, bronco top leaves the cab exposed whe hauling unless there was a removavle partitian. Thanks.

No, i do not intended to build on the excursion frame/drive line I really like the OBS 4wd 7.3l set up. I also figure i can save a ton of time not having to do a frame/body re-alignment. Thoughts?

Thanks Boomer
Well, I've never seen an OBS body onto Super Duty chassis swap, so I couldn't really say how difficult that would be. I'd imagine the difficult part would be integrating Super Duty electronics into the OBS body.

For what you're looking to accomplish, I think starting out with an OBS would make a lot of sense. I think starting out with a Centurion 4 door bronco makes even more sense.

As the others have mentioned, Centurion's "craftsmanship" leaves a lot to be desired. I have an F150 crew cab conversion, and have worked through most of the issues with the exception of the frame extension.

Best advice I could give, is to find an F350/OBS Centurion 4 door Bronco that's in decent shape, for a good price, and build on that. If you're looking for an even faster project, find one that's already had the shortcomings worked out.

As far as taking the Bronco top off to use for goosneck purposes, you could always have a boat shop make a soft cover for the back of the cab for when you have the cap off.

I guess the biggest question is, what's your intended use? Obviously the gooseneck, but what else? Do you need the seating area while pulling the goosneck?

Old 12-19-2014, 09:25 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts

Thanks Boomer
Something like this:

Interior shot:

This subject popped up in this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...on-really.html

Old 12-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
I am another vote for a crew cab pickup with a cap

Bronco removable tops are NOT easy to come across

Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 AM
BoomerTexas70's
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
Well, I've never seen an OBS body onto Super Duty chassis swap, so I couldn't really say how difficult that would be. I'd imagine the difficult part would be integrating Super Duty electronics into the OBS body.

For what you're looking to accomplish, I think starting out with an OBS would make a lot of sense. I think starting out with a Centurion 4 door bronco makes even more sense.

As the others have mentioned, Centurion's "craftsmanship" leaves a lot to be desired. I have an F150 crew cab conversion, and have worked through most of the issues with the exception of the frame extension.

Best advice I could give, is to find an F350/OBS Centurion 4 door Bronco that's in decent shape, for a good price, and build on that. If you're looking for an even faster project, find one that's already had the shortcomings worked out.

As far as taking the Bronco top off to use for goosneck purposes, you could always have a boat shop make a soft cover for the back of the cab for when you have the cap off.

I guess the biggest question is, what's your intended use? Obviously the gooseneck, but what else? Do you need the seating area while pulling the goosneck?

Great advice, i like the idea of the centurion BUT know they have some many problems and arent cheap to start. I feel i could do a better build and cheaper on my own, plus donor body broncos are cheap around here. Some for 500 running, so i could sell extra parts or be ready for another build soon as i was done.

The most helpful suggestion is the boat shop idea, most of the time o dont feel ill need 3rd while towing. But would need to keep it in consideration during my build.
Also will stick with the OBS on the OBS frame.

Thanks Boomer

Old 12-19-2014, 10:42 AM
BoomerTexas70's
Elder User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I am another vote for a crew cab pickup with a cap

Bronco removable tops are NOT easy to come across

The purpose of the excursion style is a full cab, full panel body with 3rd row option and climate control throughout. To be forward, im building this not wanting a truck, the suggestion are for best way to make this build possible, not the best way to change my build. I appreciate all the input and interest.

Boomer

Old 12-19-2014, 10:49 AM
BoomerTexas70's
Elder User
Alright here we go, today's question...

I have found a ccsb 2wd;

Being a 2wd, i coukd save some money up front. What kind of 4wd conversions are out there, how hard is it, and what is the cost usually involved/ will i actually save money?

Oh are the 2wd and 4wd frames the same, what about gas vs diesel frames?

Thanks Boomer

Old 12-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
2wd frame are different than 4wd. Also slightly different gas to diesel

The is no leaf spring provisions on a 2wd, But they can be made.

As for the cost of a 4wd conversion, they depends on what you spend on parts..
axle(if you are going to do it you want a dana 60 solid axle..
200-1500 depending

4wd transmission.....
200-2000 depending

T-case....
100-400

Driveshafts...
200-600

Front spring hangers
400+

leaf springs
200-500

I think one of these might be your best bet for towing a gooseneck with a SUV

"The Automated Safety Hitch, adds an axle to your pickup truck for turning tighter with gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers, 50% improvement in braking, tow gooseneck with a SUV, inline dually, improve youGooseneck Horse Trailers, 5th Wheel RVs and Flat

Old 12-19-2014, 04:51 PM
BoomerTexas70's
Elder User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
2wd frame are different than 4wd. Also slightly different gas to diesel

The is no leaf spring provisions on a 2wd, But they can be made.

As for the cost of a 4wd conversion, they depends on what you spend on parts..
axle(if you are going to do it you want a dana 60 solid axle..
200-1500 depending

4wd transmission.....
200-2000 depending

T-case....
100-400

Driveshafts...
200-600

Front spring hangers
400+

leaf springs
200-500

I think one of these might be your best bet for towing a gooseneck with a SUV

"The Automated Safety Hitch, adds an axle to your pickup truck for turning tighter with gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers, 50% improvement in braking, tow gooseneck with a SUV, inline dually, improve youGooseneck Horse Trailers, 5th Wheel RVs and Flat
I do like that automated safety hitch, and think i would be great use for a smaller like expedition but the length of the excursion/ my build i feel is just right.

You said that they were no leaf spring provisions. Does this mean that ALL 250/350 2wds were built like and IFS, no straight axle?

Thanks Boomer

Quick Reply: general OBS questions