1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT What do you guys know about snow plows?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:35 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Originally Posted by Skalywag
Actually, snow removal is way over rated. A bunch of wimps back in the sixtiies and seventies decided they didn't know how to drive their vehicles in snow, or walk in snow and demanded that every one needed to clear their drive or lot. Then decided that if they fell and injured themselves ( because they were'nt wearing sensible boots or shoes appropriate for the weather, or just plain can't walk straight) they could sue your butt off. Now this bred a whole new generation of super wimps, who passed laws that required you to shovel your sidewalk or be fined. Most people just don't use common sense. If you are 80 years old and can barely walk with a walker, stay home until it melts or send your younger relative out for what you need. I fell two years ago on the ice in my back yard, dang, I couldn't sue myself, maybe I could have gotten something out of my home owners policy. Didn't think of that. If you are still reading this you are as bored as I am.
I'm not 80yrs old but let me say that the bigger you are the harder you fall refresher pic of my leg from falling this winter (on ice not snow) I just want to say that after 35 plus years of clearing driveways with a farmall cub in the cold I deserve the heat and comfort of sitting in my f150 4x4 with a snow plow!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:40 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
OK, maybe 4WD is a bit of overkill!!
Front wheel drive has it's fans too.

Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
I'm not 80yrs old but let me say that the bigger you are the harder you fall refresher pic of my leg from falling this winter (on ice not snow) I just want to say that after 35 plus years of clearing driveways with a farmall cub in the cold I deserve the heat and comfort of sitting in my f150 4x4 with a snow plow!

Kevin, sorry about your accident, I've seen better legs on a coffee table.
Hope you're geting better.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:51 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Originally Posted by Skalywag
Kevin, sorry about your accident, I've seen better legs on a coffee table.
Hope you're geting better.
Thanks, doing a lot better.
You know a while back I almost bought this 56 as I had my wife totally in for the purchase as I told her I was going to put a snow plow on it to do our driveway. Then I came to, realizing that if I broke any parts on the 56 coleman 4x4 I wouldn't be able to find replacement parts so I passed

so now I have this 55 Marmon Herrington that I'm going to look for a blade to put on it

Old 12-18-2014, 10:18 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
Joe, we moved from Chicago burbs to Lexington KY. I had a JD tractor with a bucket. Figured I was set for snow. We finally got a storm worth plowing and I had a dead battery. Put the charger on it for a day and it started right up. All the snow had melted. If you move to somewhere wait to buy a blower. If the area is anything like Lexington all you do is wait a day and the white stuff is gone. At least it's worked for the last eleven years for me. Have fun
Thanks Dave.

This is the best solution so far, and you're not the only one to suggest it. I much prefer to wait for it to melt. But if we NEED to go somewhere, I want to be prepared to get out. I also really prefer not needing to go anywhere.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:09 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts

Okay, since we're on the subject of snow and ice, how did you learn to drive in the snow?

My dad took me to an empty factory parking lot, covered with snow and ice, and had me do donuts, lock-ups, wipe-outs, and hard take-offs.

When I got that out of my system, he taught me how to take-off easy, brake properly and corner carefully. His point being I now knew how the car was going to react to the slick road conditions.

That may have been the most fun thing we ever did together .

Old 12-18-2014, 11:36 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fladoodle
I get really concerned when I see this thread is full of recommendations from locations down south that don't quote their experience or skillset. I can walk you through the physics of most of the reasons why his F4 is not the ideal snow plow.
Well, you didn't actually ruffle my feathers, BUT, although I have lived in Tennessee for the past 9 years, I spend 53 years in the Buffalo, NY area. I grew up in the traditional 'snow belt' 1000' from the present location of Ralph Wilson Stadium. I began plowing snow at the age of 10, with a solid mounted 8' plow attached to the front of 57 Pontiac. By the age of 12 I graduated to 47 Ford 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive with a hydraulic lift plow. I pushed snow off and on from 1961 through 2004 and didn't use a 4 wheel drive to plow until sometime in the early 1990's. I owned 2 4 wheel drive trucks, a 1958 Dodge Power Wagon for about 3 months when I was 16 and a 2001 F250 that I bought new and still have, neither of which ever had a plow on them. Unlike Dave, I never plowed roads, did strictly driveways and parking lots.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:52 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Well, you didn't actually ruffle my feathers, BUT, although I have lived in Tennessee for the past 9 years, I spend 53 years in the Buffalo, NY area. I grew up in the traditional 'snow belt' 1000' from the present location of Ralph Wilson Stadium. I began plowing snow at the age of 10, with a solid mounted 8' plow attached to the front of 57 Pontiac. By the age of 12 I graduated to 47 Ford 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive with a hydraulic lift plow. I pushed snow off and on from 1961 through 2004 and didn't use a 4 wheel drive to plow until sometime in the early 1990's. I owned 2 4 wheel drive trucks, a 1958 Dodge Power Wagon for about 3 months when I was 16 and a 2001 F250 that I bought new and still have, neither of which ever had a plow on them. Unlike Dave, I never plowed roads, did strictly driveways and parking lots.
And I in no way meant to imply that two wheel drive can't do the job. Clearly it has, as many here have testified. But the thing is that I only see you're current location as indicated on your profile. And maybe i was a jerk for assuming (you know what they say about assumptions!) but a little context, I believe, is very important. I've never heard of anyone using duals over snow, and I know it's way nicer driving over snow and slush in general when you've got tall skinny tires that cut to the bottom to try and grip the ground, and that fat tires are not as good. I would only imagine that duals would greatly increase that floating effect. My experience with plows is that setting them up generally sucks to do and most installations look like crap when the plow comes off. I will say that I am really a fan of that quad with to pusher on front (forgot who posted it, sorry.)

Old 12-19-2014, 12:25 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by fladoodle
......I will say that I am really a fan of that quad with to pusher on front (forgot who posted it, sorry.)
It was ChuckRob.

I have one two, but as you can see by the blade it hasn't been used much. We have all gravel roads. And I'd rather play in the snow than work in it.

Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2014, 01:18 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100

boy that looks like a doosey! woah. how long is that gonna take to heal up?

looks like they even drew a happy face on your skin at the bottom.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:22 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Before you buy a snow blower , think about what kind of snow your going to be moving . Blowers are good for light dry snow , but they get plugged up with heavy wet snow . Also every year after a heavy wet snow the hospitals get a rash of finger and hand injuries from guys who reach into the discharge Shute , to unclog the blower. Moving snow and what kind of gear you need deepens on your location ,and area that you need to clear . Last year we got a storm of 6 inches , our county has one plow . So it was 3 days before our road got plowed . I plowed the road from our house to the state road with my small tractor and back blade . It was the next day before the state road was plowed . This happens once every 3-4 years , so we just stay home .Otherr than a hospital ,where do you really have to go ?

Old 12-19-2014, 08:35 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PAM! Pam works very well in a snow blower - spray it on the blades and chutes BEFORE you start blowing snow. WD40 or any lite oil works. But still wait to buy the blower until you see the weather you get into if you move.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Well, if we move into an area that snows, we won't need anything to move it for a few months, as we'd be moving in warm weather. I'm sure the locals would be able to tell us what to expect.

For a plow, I sort of like the idea of the ATV. Small enough to store and powerful enough to do a driveway.

Good to know about blowers. That's another thing I didn't know.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
[QUOTE=Jolly Roger Joe;14919124
For a plow, I sort of like the idea of the ATV. Small enough to store and powerful enough to do a driveway.

.[/QUOTE]

I have very little need for snow removal here in SE TN. More the desire to play than the actual need to remove snow. I do have a 4WD 32 HP utility tractor with a FEL and back blade that works well. I have used my son's large ATV with plow and that is much better than my tractor. Both of these options do mandate frequently coming into the house to warm the hands and nose. I would never encumber Missy Green or Blue with a plow.
Edit: BTW, ATVs are commonly used in my area, even on the highways. But, I live in farm country.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by raytasch
I have very little need for snow removal here in SE TN. More the desire to play than the actual need to remove snow. I do have a 4WD 32 HP utility tractor with a FEL and back blade that works well. I have used my son's large ATV with plow and that is much better than my tractor. Both of these options do mandate frequently coming into the house to warm the hands and nose. I would never encumber Missy Green or Blue with a plow.
Edit: BTW, ATVs are commonly used in my area, even on the highways. But, I live in farm country.
And farm country is a good place to live.

I want to just let it melt, unless we need to go to the doctor or hospital. That was my reason for starting the thread.

Quick Reply: OT What do you guys know about snow plows?