1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT What do you guys know about snow plows?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:29 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
man some real snow haters in here!
Not me. I love snow. I went camping in Minnesota during Christmas break last year. I think everyone else in the country went south.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:10 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Count me as a snow hater, well, maybe not the snow, but he damn cold that comes with it and the bitter cold that usually follows it. That global warming still hasn't fully kicked in yet, I'm waiting for our 65° winters up here.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Joe, do I detect some very long term planning? We do get snow in TN as you well know.
Well, it started out as long term planning. But every day I read something else the stupid state government has done or is planning or has screwed up. So long range is becoming a negotiable term.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Joe, all you ever needed to know about a snow plow, you can learn here.

TV commercial film for Volkswagen "Snow Plow" HD - YouTube

Or you can hire a snow plow service, much like you'd do for a lawn mower/landscaper in the summer. But, I guess that's year-round for you.
Nice old video of the bug. I've owned a couple. We still mow our own grass, but the neighbors do have a year-round lawn service.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by harleymsn
My solution was MOVING from Buffalo-Niagara Falls to Tennessee. If it snows here, I wait an hour or two until the sun comes out and melts it.
That's probably the worst snow I'll be dealing with too. I started the thread to get ideas, and I think now a snow blower is all I'll really need. I just can't shovel any more. My back won't take it.

We just got home from Virginia, and the snow required our hosts to shovel their drive to go to work. I felt bad because I couldn't help. That's what got me thinking about mechanical means of moving the snow. And the wife asked if Betsy could handle a plow. So, of course, I asked you fellas.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:29 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Of course your truck will handle a plow , and dual wheels are not a problem . A set of chains and a lot of weight in the back , will get you through . Think about all the city town and state plows that are 2 wheel drive . Now if your driveway is going to be a mile long straight up hill or the size of a Walmart parking lot , you may need a better setup .

Old 12-18-2014, 05:26 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen it pointed out multiple times on here that city plow trucks are mostly 2WD. But, if you've ever watched a plow truck doing its job around town, they are HAULING. They're huge trucks with huge plows and a dump bed full of weight, around here at least. They've got lots of mass, and are not easily slowed down by all the snow they're pushing around. However, like I said, they're also constantly moving. Once you're already moving, 4WD doesn't do terribly much, especially if you're driving a big plow truck. However, that simply isn't what's happening here. Plowing a driveway or parking lot requires a LOT of shifting from first into reverse, and other maneuvering. There's a reason that the pros (even if they're just doing parking lots and driveways) have 4WD 3/4 ton or bigger trucks with tall skinny tires. Sure, his F4 COULD do it, but you'd be lots of money, time, and frustration ahead by buying a beater plow truck, or paying someone else to do it. I get really concerned when I see this thread is full of recommendations from locations down south that don't quote their experience or skillset. I can walk you through the physics of most of the reasons why his F4 is not the ideal snow plow.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:07 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
First, I lived in upstate NY for 56 years and drove plow trucks on interstate 90, I also worked for our local town highway department driving a Walter snowfighter [ V plow with wings off both sides ] My route was in the worst section and 10-20 ft drifts where not uncommon . That said I will stand by my statement that you can plow a reasonable driveway with 2 wheel drive and chains , and how fast do you think you go on side streets in small towns ?

Old 12-18-2014, 06:22 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
When my dad would drive the F-2 in the winter he had a set of old tire chains he'd slap on the rear tires. I remember a few times driving across town during a snow storm and passing 4X4s stuck in the snow and we'd just drive past.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:37 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
So what did people plow snow with before 4wd was widely available? 2wd and tire chains.
There is a fair sized sporting goods store here that plows it's parking lot with a 60's 2wd Chevy 1/2 ton pickup. Been doing that for as long as I can remember. Another old guy I know used to use his Model T coupe!

Old 12-18-2014, 06:40 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put the plow on last week. If I need more plow than this I am moving back to a warmer place.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
OK guys, I didn't want this to turn into a battle ground.

I know nothing about moving snow. Lots of you have done it and I really appreciate all the comments.

I believe I could mount a plow on my truck and clear my driveway (wherever it may be someday) but I think a blower will probably do the same for less money and a whole lot less work mounting and removing a blade.

I'm not moving to the Arctic Circle, North Dakota, Minnesota, New York or ANY place that requires major snow removal to get away from the house.

Thanks for all the comments. I learned a lot.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:44 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Why would you set up a plow system on such a nice truck when you could buy a decent running junker for the same price that'll do the job better? That's what I said in my previous post. Sure, if he already had the plow set up and ready to go, he'd be better off sucking with that but that's not the case here. 4 wheel drive vehicles are plentiful, and for trucks around here are the norm.. Our 89 F250 POS 4WD with tall, skinny tires and a box full of wood pushed like a champ when the transfer case isn't acting up. I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, snow removal is way over rated. A bunch of wimps back in the sixtiies and seventies decided they didn't know how to drive their vehicles in snow, or walk in snow and demanded that every one needed to clear their drive or lot. Then decided that if they fell and injured themselves ( because they were'nt wearing sensible boots or shoes appropriate for the weather, or just plain can't walk straight) they could sue your butt off. Now this bred a whole new generation of super wimps, who passed laws that required you to shovel your sidewalk or be fined. Most people just don't use common sense. If you are 80 years old and can barely walk with a walker, stay home until it melts or send your younger relative out for what you need. I fell two years ago on the ice in my back yard, dang, I couldn't sue myself, maybe I could have gotten something out of my home owners policy. Didn't think of that. If you are still reading this you are as bored as I am.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:23 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Joe, we moved from Chicago burbs to Lexington KY. I had a JD tractor with a bucket. Figured I was set for snow. We finally got a storm worth plowing and I had a dead battery. Put the charger on it for a day and it started right up. All the snow had melted. If you move to somewhere wait to buy a blower. If the area is anything like Lexington all you do is wait a day and the white stuff is gone. At least it's worked for the last eleven years for me. Have fun

Quick Reply: OT What do you guys know about snow plows?