1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT What do you guys know about snow plows?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:20 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Joe, do I detect some very long term planning? We do get snow in TN as you well know.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:26 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Joe, all you ever needed to know about a snow plow, you can learn here.

Or you can hire a snow plow service, much like you'd do for a lawn mower/landscaper in the summer. But, I guess that's year-round for you.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
Joe, your truck would handle a light plow with no problem. Some weight in the back and tire chains with that low gearing and you'd be surprised how well it would plow. All street/road dept's around here use 2wd trucks to plow.
Biggest drawbacks would be no power steering and the straight cut gears.

FWIW, mtflat(FTE member near me) has a plow on his F6 he uses every winter
As I originally said, I thought the low gearing on Betsy would push snow, even if I had to put chains on her. And that Western Suburbanite plow is designed for 2WD mid-sized vehicles...

All good info guys. And no, we're not moving anywhere anytime soon. Just trying to get may ducks lined up.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:49 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
But if you still feel the need for more snow removal equipment, WSDOT may have these available on surplus from time to time.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:00 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
FWIW, I was just a snot nose kid but I do remember back in the late 1940 and early 1950s, the State snow plow trucks of the day. My folks ran a country convenience store and it was common practice for the plow truck driver to stop in for a friendly break. Yeah, the driver was my dad's hunting buddy so he really did not need a reason to stop.
The trucks they used at the time were gas powered two wheel drive, DRW Macks and they ran full chains on the duals. They had the dump beds loaded with cinders from coal fired plants and the steam powered rail road engines. Cinders were spread on the mountain roads and spots that were known to be troublesome. I don't remember Charlie giving a report of getting stuck but he did take out some guard rails and mail boxes.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:00 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
But if you still feel the need for more snow removal equipment, WSDOT may have these available on surplus from time to time.

Well, unless we have another ice age, I'm not going to live anywhere that has that much snow!

Old 12-17-2014, 11:51 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Late to the party but I plow every year so..

Keeping a truck running that is only used to plow the driveway is a pain. I would get a snowblower unless you deal with regular storms of 6" snow or more and have a long driveway.
I would not bother putting a plow on a 2wd truck. The plow takes the weight off the rear wheels and even on flat ground you will get stuck once the snow pile gets heavy in front of the blade. With the blade on mine will get stuck in wet grass on a slight grade if I am in 2wd.
If you are dealing with serious snow I would stick with a 3/4 ton or better truck. A 1/2 ton will do it but even taking it easy it put a lot of stress on the front end.
Best beater snow plow truck I had was a late 70s chevy full size blazer. Short wheelbase made it easy to turn around in tight spots, and when you are plowing driveways there are only tight spots to turn around in!
This is my plow truck, 1995 GMC 1 ton with a 454 and a 9 foot blade, waiting patiently for the next storm.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
Late to the party but I plow every year so..

Keeping a truck running that is only used to plow the driveway is a pain. I would get a snowblower unless you deal with regular storms of 6" snow or more and have a long driveway.
I would not bother putting a plow on a 2wd truck. The plow takes the weight off the rear wheels and even on flat ground you will get stuck once the snow pile gets heavy in front of the blade. With the blade on mine will get stuck in wet grass on a slight grade if I am in 2wd.
If you are dealing with serious snow I would stick with a 3/4 ton or better truck. A 1/2 ton will do it but even taking it easy it put a lot of stress on the front end.
Best beater snow plow truck I had was a late 70s chevy full size blazer. Short wheelbase made it easy to turn around in tight spots, and when you are plowing driveways there are only tight spots to turn around in!
This is my plow truck, 1995 GMC 1 ton with a 454 and a 9 foot blade, waiting patiently for the next storm.

Thanks Dave. Maybe a snow blower is what I should be looking at anyway. Probably cost about the same as a plow and would clear what little snow I am expecting to live in. I'll do some more research...

Old 12-17-2014, 12:30 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
The little I know about snow plows is the fact that if I need one this southern boy has wandered way too far north. :-)

Old 12-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
The little I know about snow plows is the fact that if I need one this southern boy has wandered way too far north. :-)
Oh sure. You say that now. But what about global warming? Or climate change? Or whatever it is the Liberals are now calling the weather?

Old 12-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Whirnot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think some of you have the wrong idea about plowing snow. I just use a Kubota RTV 1100 with a great heater, stereo, coffee holders, and a new poly blade.

Let it snow............

Old 12-17-2014, 02:38 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
OT

Originally Posted by Whirnot
I think some of you have the wrong idea about plowing snow. I just use a Kubota RTV 1100 with a great heater, stereo, coffee holders, and a new poly blade.

Let it snow............
I think I have the right idea. I just don't do it. If the snow gets too deep for the SUV, I'll drive the M35A2 Deuce and a half. If it get's too deep for that (not likely) I'll drive the M817 5-ton. If it gets too deep for that I'm not leaving the house.

I agree. Let it snow!

Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2014, 02:46 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My solution was MOVING from Buffalo-Niagara Falls to Tennessee. If it snows here, I wait an hour or two until the sun comes out and melts it.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
man some real snow haters in here!

Old 12-17-2014, 03:26 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snow is money, its a large investment, beats the truck and plow, and you always windup damaging someones property

I maintain a fleet of 35 plow trucks, 8 front end loaders with 20ft pusher boxes, and 15 salt spreaders. All the trucks are one ton fords and up, and yes the drivers are the biggest problem. The winter we had last year better not repeat.

Quick Reply: OT What do you guys know about snow plows?