Sponsored by:

For Apoc...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:16 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Apoc...

All right everyone, I have been thinking, which is always scary, but in all seriousness, is Apoc's 5.4 really all that bad?

I am thinking that Apoc could have himself a jewell and he does not know it. If he were to take the money he is thinking of putting into a new Ex, and sink it into his current Ex, I think he could end up with something special that would be the envy of many here. Maybe not LivinLarge's level of lust, but something that is more than lust worthy.

So here are my thoughts, Why not embrace the engine and the 2wd. I have been reading, and apparently the 5.4 is more than happy to take a super charger. This one is known to add 100hp!

He could then lower the stance a little, with out slamming it.

Then take some styling and parts from here, and end up with a one of a kind highway burning Ex that would terrify the young and old!

Hopefully something WAY better than this bad photoshop job of mine, but I wanted to see what potential there is...

I just think that Apoc is like most of us and has a "grass is always greener on the other side" outlook, and with the many nice Ex's on here, it is easy to fall into the "if only" trap.

This may not work, but when Apoc returns from his time away, maybe we can provide that lift he is looking for and help him realize the potential he has in hand.

Just a thought from someone who would like to think himself a friend/brother of our beloved Apoc.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:08 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
NICE!

Excellent idea too!

Stewart

Old 12-16-2014, 06:24 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love the look of that pic! and it will have a better exhaust sound than a V-10.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:11 AM
ExploringNH
Senior User
The trouble is that buying parts requires cash. A new truck is only an option because of a loan.

His 5.4 is not bad at all. If it were me, I would, in no way, be considering a new truck. The choice to move to a 6.8 or a diesel has no traction from a logical stand point. It is purely a desire. The 5.4 does everything he needs. I understand the 4WD aspect but he has made it this far with 2WD, what is another couple of years?

Sell the Blazer or whatever other vehicle he has lying around doing nothing but accumulating rust and take whatever cash the market will bring. It won't be near the "perceived value" but you will get exactly what the market is willing to pay, which is the true value. A truck sitting is a depreciating asset that needs to be cut loose and turned into cash.

Save some pennies, get some loans paid off, better the overall financial situation, and in a couple years, hopefully be in a position to get something he wants.

I don't really want to get up in anyone's business but it just seems like a terrible financial decision to get into a new truck right now, especially when there is NOTHING wrong with the current one, and in fact, in many ways it is better than a new one. It is well maintained, up to date, and known. A new truck brings with it a previous owner's problems. Whether you spend $3k or $20k, you will still be spending money getting it up to date.While the truck above does look cool, anything you toss onto the truck will be worthless in two years. It is cash out the window when it comes time for a sale.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:08 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ExploringNH
The trouble is that buying parts requires cash. A new truck is only an option because of a loan.

His 5.4 is not bad at all. If it were me, I would, in no way, be considering a new truck. The choice to move to a 6.8 or a diesel has no traction from a logical stand point. It is purely a desire. The 5.4 does everything he needs. I understand the 4WD aspect but he has made it this far with 2WD, what is another couple of years?

Sell the Blazer or whatever other vehicle he has lying around doing nothing but accumulating rust and take whatever cash the market will bring. It won't be near the "perceived value" but you will get exactly what the market is willing to pay, which is the true value. A truck sitting is a depreciating asset that needs to be cut loose and turned into cash.

Save some pennies, get some loans paid off, better the overall financial situation, and in a couple years, hopefully be in a position to get something he wants.

I don't really want to get up in anyone's business but it just seems like a terrible financial decision to get into a new truck right now, especially when there is NOTHING wrong with the current one, and in fact, in many ways it is better than a new one. It is well maintained, up to date, and known. A new truck brings with it a previous owner's problems. Whether you spend $3k or $20k, you will still be spending money getting it up to date.While the truck above does look cool, anything you toss onto the truck will be worthless in two years. It is cash out the window when it comes time for a sale.
Alright.........who invited this guy?!!! Way to rational!

Old 12-16-2014, 08:30 AM
dihedralboy
Junior User
I think it's all too easy to say the 5.4 is too small, but I think those that are have not even driven them.

Our 5.4 with 4x4 is more than adequate. Maybe it's gears…..

If you tow and need more power then look for it with a v10. Or diesel.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Would send reps for the idea but I'm in jail. Great idea. I've got a buddy with a tuned 5.4 in an F150 that has *****. It's a blast to drive. I'm not sure what tuner he has.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
All right everyone, I have been thinking, which is always scary, but in all seriousness, is Apoc's 5.4 really all that bad?

I am thinking that Apoc could have himself a jewell and he does not know it. If he were to take the money he is thinking of putting into a new Ex, and sink it into his current Ex, I think he could end up with something special that would be the envy of many here. Maybe not LivinLarge's level of lust, but something that is more than lust worthy.

So here are my thoughts, Why not embrace the engine and the 2wd. I have been reading, and apparently the 5.4 is more than happy to take a super charger. This one is known to add 100hp!

He could then lower the stance a little, with out slamming it.

Then take some styling and parts from here, and end up with a one of a kind highway burning Ex that would terrify the young and old!

Hopefully something WAY better than this bad photoshop job of mine, but I wanted to see what potential there is...

I just think that Apoc is like most of us and has a "grass is always greener on the other side" outlook, and with the many nice Ex's on here, it is easy to fall into the "if only" trap.

This may not work, but when Apoc returns from his time away, maybe we can provide that lift he is looking for and help him realize the potential he has in hand.

Just a thought from someone who would like to think himself a friend/brother of our beloved Apoc.

Dude we have all tried to tell him this. There was a thread awhile ago about converting his rig to 4x4 and he just wasn't having any of it. Then we tried to tell him about putting a locker in his Ex that he has now. I agree with the really long paragraph though from the guy above!

Old 12-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
man i would love to have a 2wd ex, i wouldnt want a 5.4 tho. but for the right price maybe. youd have to be a awful big man to drive around with a 5.4 as your powerplant.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:05 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
The more I think about this concept, the more I like the idea behind it.

Yes I love my Ex, yes I love the 4x4 (when I actually use it), but for 85% or more of my driving, this type of 2wd concept seems very practical, especially with the lower entry price of this style of Ex.

The idea of a high horsepower V8 is fairly common in the normal, non-Excursion, world. And with the right power, a rear locker and some great styling and paint, a road warrior Excursion would be a blast to own and rule the roads with!

I envision a police interceptor, 8,000+ pound, highway cruse missile, that has great sound through dual pipes and a super charger whine!

This concept could be very hard to beat!

Originally Posted by ExploringNH
You are mostly correct about the money involved, but if someone has decent credit, there are ways to finance stuff like this. USAA gave me a very reasonable personal loan to put towards my Ex. It was something we looked at and planned out for, and should shortly be paid off in full.

Now Dave Ramsey would call me crazy to play with finances this way, but everyone needs to decide what works best for them. I would encourage anyone and everyone to be responsible with their money and their toys. From bikes, to ATVs to race cars to video games, people will spend money and lots of it for things they want and love, regardless if they use cash or credit to do it. Passion does not always lead to good choices. But if you are going to make these said choices, IMO, it is best to do it towards something that will get used daily, and not just one the occasional weekend. Ultimately, it all boils down to where there is a will, there is a way...

Old 12-16-2014, 12:09 PM
wrestle_loomis
Freshman User
I've towed with a originally naturally aspirated 5.4 2v with a Kenne Bell installed. I was towing a car trailer with a 5,000 pound car on it. Traversed some pretty steep grade with the setup and that 5.4 didn't even think about kicking down once. It was pretty awesome and a very fast truck. The super charger on a 5.4 would be a great route, thing is they run 4-6k plus he still doesn't have a 4x4. A 5.4 3v supercharged nets even better gains. I say upgrade for 4x4 and get the 6.8 as an added bonus

Btw is there any wild V10 supercharged or turbo'd setups out there, pushing 15+ psi?

Old 12-16-2014, 12:32 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just watched a video that he did on his theft light back in July of this year while driving. His Ex seems to run very well and only had 105300 miles on it at that time. He would have definitely been going backwards by buying the red one he went to look at. With that being said...

We have to think back to the time that we got the itch for our first 4x4 with a big iron under the hood. That to me puts a little more perspective into how he feels. A little patience though will go a long way into them getting a quality dependable Ex that will suite them both.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:34 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EXv10
OK the 5.4 is the way to go.............................not
IDK, the more I read about them, and the more I think about it, it very well could be the way to go. This is the engine that the Mustangs ran for a long time, and some of them were making insane power! I can see a tricked out 5.4 Ex doing some very nice numbers and looking awesome all at the same time!

Now if I could only win the lottery to help finance all of these fun "little" projects!

Oh, and way to be supportive there. Remind me to ask you for uplifting help next time I need it, .............................not

Old 12-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey brother I'm with you. I think the supercharger could hold off for awhile, but if he could find one that is just bolt on no programming it would be easier. The Ford Ranger guys found one that bolts right on with no programming, runs off the stock fuel map.

I think for right now maybe looking for a locker would be the best bet so that way he at least feels like he has some off road capability.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
Ok guys very funny, but stop the thread jacking

You got it boss, but all hijacking aside I agree with you on Apoc keeping his current EX , Maybe a regear would get that little extra he is looking for and being a 2WD it wouldn't be all that expensive..

Quick Reply: For Apoc...