1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F1 rust repair video

Old 12-18-2014, 11:28 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Dave, what subject(s) would you buy?

Old 12-18-2014, 12:45 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for leaving off. Metal finishing/repair.
I think all three have a need to be done just not sure I would use them in my stage of life and vehicle ownership. All 3 would have been great 10 years ago when I started the F3. I know your insights and knowledge would have saved me lots of time, hassle and dollars not to mention giving the truck a better fix. If I lived closer I would be happy to hold a camera for your demonstrations. Do them all -- field of dreams attitude-- if you do it they will purchase! Have fun

Old 12-19-2014, 01:02 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Only 2 people interested enough in any of this to reply? Do we have a lot of metal working experts on here that don't want/need help?

Old 12-19-2014, 01:08 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal shaping

Are you familiar with this man?
LAZZE Metal Shaping Classes and Videos
He has all kinds of videos plus he sent me some drawings of his S/S stand a year or two ago.
TractormanBill

Old 12-19-2014, 04:21 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,108 Likes on 2,642 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Only 2 people interested enough in any of this to reply? Do we have a lot of metal working experts on here that don't want/need help?
No offense but You-Tube is loaded with all kinds of videos from very talented individuals and at no cost to the viewer.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:22 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tractormanbill
Are you familiar with this man?
LAZZE Metal Shaping Classes and Videos
He has all kinds of videos plus he sent me some drawings of his S/S stand a year or two ago.
TractormanBill
Yes, his videos are ~ 90.00 each, and concentrate on the use of his quite expensive tools to make a very specific part or panel, English wheel, bead roller, (even his shrinker stretcher set is about 2x the price of the Mittler Bros offering), and he shows new metal work not rust repair, patch installation, metal finishing, dent removal etc. I don't know many here that are building an aluminum body from scratch, a child size 32 roadster body or motorcycle fenders using tens of thousands of dollars in major tools. It's very good that he offered you help on your stand, but I haven't seen him devoting hundreds of hours of his time coming here to offer his expertise and knowledge to help our members with their specific issues, but if his videos are useful to you and your needs, by all means buy them and support him.
I don't have an english wheel, bead roller, or many tools costing more than a couple hundred dollars and was offering to show how a lot of what we commonly need to fix can be done sucessfully with much simpler tools, sometimes purchased used, homemade, repurposed or modified from commonly available items. If that isn't of interest, then answer no you would not buy my video offerings.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:00 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 56panelford
No offense but You-Tube is loaded with all kinds of videos from very talented individuals and at no cost to the viewer.
That's true. How many are specific to 46-56 Ford trucks? If you are so inclined you could watch hundreds of hours of videos hoping the person actually has expertise and picking and choosing snippets from many to get what you need. I have spent probably 40-50 hrs just checking out whats there. With that philosophy, almost all the information discussed on this forum is available on the internet, so there is no reason to have this forum or need to ask questions here.
No offense taken, that's exactly what i am trying to find out, if majority feels as you do, then there is no reason for me to spend my time doing something that is not needed or wanted or more importantly has any real value. For example I have already spent about 15 hours writing the F1 fender repair tutorial, and it's only about 1/2 done, so I probably need to decide if I should continue wasting my time on it if I'm just rehashing available information that's not useful or needed?

Old 12-19-2014, 06:46 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,108 Likes on 2,642 Posts
Are you suggesting that only videos on metal work specific to 46-56 Ford trucks have any value? Techniques in stretching and shrinking and shaping metal etc. can have many applications.
I personally feel that this forum is one of the best and has many knowledgeable people who have devoted many many hours to helping others. I would never suggest that there was no need for it.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:41 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 56panelford
Are you suggesting that only videos on metal work specific to 46-56 Ford trucks have any value? Techniques in stretching and shrinking and shaping metal etc. can have many applications.
I personally feel that this forum is one of the best and has many knowledgeable people who have devoted many many hours to helping others. I would never suggest that there was no need for it.
No, IMHO it's just seeing the specific techniques and tools the purchaser might have or can afford to add to their collection being used to repair a specific area that needs repair on their truck and being able to have that information in one place in an easily accessed and reviewed format may have some extra personal value to them.
I am self learning wood turning. I can find all kinds of free videos on the internet on general basic lathe techniques "that can have many applications" i.e. here's how you turn a chunk of wood into a cylinder, here's how you turn out the inside of a basic bowl, here's how this new "wonder tool" I'm selling can make turning almost "automatic" the first time you turn on the lathe, etc etc but watching someone use specific tools in a specific manner to turn a specific object start to finish or solve a problem I want to solve, or how they used the machine or tool in an unusual manner to make a unique creative piece is much more valuable to me, especially if I can keep the specific information at close hand and easily refer back to it. If I find the information is especially valuable or very well presented then I find value in that and am willing to pay for that person's effort to offer it. Even tho free large group basic autocross schools are commonly available, my ex and I attended a number of professionally run schools at > 400.00 per weekend phase for each of us, even taking some of the phases multiple times because they were extremely well presented and the gains in our driving abilities were obvious and measurable each time, which gave us an advantage when racing.
It may be I'm unique that way, I don't know unless I ask others to gauge their responses and attitudes even if I was hoping to get a different response. If the interest isn't there it isn't there. So far there seems to be so little interest that only a couple people have even responded. That says a lot right there.
I notice you are a paid supporter here, even tho you can access the very same material for free, and the advertisers are likely providing the powers that be with good pocket padding you pay them as well, so there must be some times when you feel it's worth paying for what can be had for free? Obviously my post count shows I give out a lot of my knowledge and skills for free, it's just that if I'm going to put the extensive effort and time to do the proposed video equivalent to an extended personalized workshop, would anyone be willing to pay a small price for it? I wrote the extensive and detailed MIG tutorial here for free. When I taught less than 1/2 that information in a 3 hour introduction to MIG workshop at Tech Shop each student was charged 60.00 on top of their 100.00 per month Tech Shop general membership. I was paid 25.00 per hour to teach it once or sometimes twice a week to 5 students, and every session sold out.

It's the holidays and people are busy, so I'll let this go a little longer and bump it up when it slides to a back page. If it still doesn't generate much response I'll declare the horse well beaten and dead.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:19 AM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal video info.

AX racer,
Sorry, I did not mean to kick the hornet's nest just wondered if you knew Lazze or had seen his free videos.
I have not spent a dime with him but enjoyed some of his free videos on such as the S/S and other tools which I had never seen in operation or used before and it gave me the want to buy a S & S to help me build repair parts for my 52.

When I started repairing my project I'm sure I would have purchased a video or two from you on operations like repairing a lower rear corner, repair of a door latch post, installing an IRS, etc. I guess you could take this as a YES.

I've taught Auto Mechanics & welding in HS, college and for Volkswagen of America, attended many schools but still like to learn new things!
TractormanBill