1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering f250 with 6.2...but hated the power delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 8iron
Not according to the dealership. I asked if it was normal and they told me everything checks out. They told me to tap the gas pedal when it didn't like 6th gear when cruising and it would shift up. And lots of times it did.
I just find this weird...
Granted my truck is a 6.7 PSD, but, even when towing my 17.5k trailer up a long hill at 65mph on cruise control, the transmission stays in 6th gear and convertor is locked.. The only thing I see is the turbo gauge climb a little...

I would have to question why your truck (gasser wih plenty of torque) could not do that empty...

Old 12-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I guess it depends on how bad the head wind was? Around here we get gusts up to 70 mph, and steady winds up to 50 mph. But unless it's above average wind, I've never had any trouble holding 60-65 into a head wind in 6th gear.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,606 Likes on 1,640 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
I just find this weird...
Granted my truck is a 6.7 PSD, but, even when towing my 17.5k trailer up a long hill at 65mph on cruise control, the transmission stays in 6th gear and convertor is locked.. The only thing I see is the turbo gauge climb a little...

I would have to question why your truck (gasser wih plenty of torque) could not do that empty...
Having come from a 2011 F250 with a 6.2 to a 2015 F350 with the 6.7, I do believe that the 6.2 and the 6.7 do have different shift strategy. But, with that being said, the 6.2 is in no way a dog. If I could have found a DRW 6.2 with 4.30 gears on a lot someplace, I would probably be driving one now. and yes, I am amazed at the power output of the 6.7.......wow!

Old 12-17-2014, 04:30 PM
mikereidjr
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hello-
I drove all of the big 3's trucks when I was looking to upgrade from my Ram1500. I was lucky enough to be able to find dealers that would let me put my 30' 7600lb trailer behind them. I even had a f150 EB with the MaxTow.

I agree that the EB was more than capable, and the 6.4 was a rocket (although not as quick as the EB), but the ford 250 CC 6.2 just felt better to me than all of them when I was pulling the trailer and for me that was why I bought the "dog" 6.2, that and I couldn't afford a diesel.

It will not win a race, but it will pull the winners house down. I liked the fit an finish of the truck better than the ram or GM, but one thing is for sure the Ram had more tech toys in the SLT vs the Ford XLT.

(although....I do always like to read people giving others a hard time about the fact that people drive 1/2 tons b/c they would never own something without straight axels or when people question the existence of a 3/4 or 1 ton truck without a diesel)

Old 12-17-2014, 08:06 PM
jbullfrog
More than just a Handyman
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm anxiously awaiting my new truck with 4.30's. My current 2011 with 3.73's has close to 85k on it. I pull a tandem dually trailer with an 11,500lb excavator and another 1000lds of misc. Tools and stuff weekly. It does ok, but I keep hearing rave reviews of the 4.30's and actually getting better mileage!

I ordered the new ones as an xlt with everything but a rear slider and tailgate step. Leather and my kids don't mix.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:22 AM
katoom400
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
Im lost on the op's first statement, he said he drove a 5.7 hemi witb 3.73 gears THEN it changed and he wrote 6.4 gas powered hemi......... so what one was it? because i know the 6.4 hemi even with 3.73 gears is a crazy powerful motor even in a hd 2500 platform

galaxy S4 using IB AutoGroup

I don't recall saying that I drove the 5.7 and then the 6.2? that particular day I drove the 6.4 first then the 6.2 (both with 3.73's)

I have on other occasions driven 5.7 Ram 2500's with 3.73's....which felt very good for a smaller gas motor with taller gears!

I did also dive another 6.2 this past weekend. This one had 16k miles on it and felt the same as the new ones I test drove. I'm not saying they are bad, as I drive like an old man most of the time anyway....

just when I put my foot in it, the thing revs like crazy, but not much is happening.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,606 Likes on 1,640 Posts
Originally Posted by katoom400
I don't recall saying that I drove the 5.7 and then the 6.2? that particular day I drove the 6.4 first then the 6.2 (both with 3.73's)

I have on other occasions driven 5.7 Ram 2500's with 3.73's....which felt very good for a smaller gas motor with taller gears!

I did also dive another 6.2 this past weekend. This one had 16k miles on it and felt the same as the new ones I test drove. I'm not saying they are bad, as I drive like an old man most of the time anyway....

just when I put my foot in it, the thing revs like crazy, but not much is happening.
Our perception of things can greatly vary from ome individual to another. With that being said, I thought the power of the 6.2 was great, even with the 3.73 gears. I even had the Traction control light come on at times when passing another vehicle. That tells me that the rears were trying to break loose. So, with that, if you feel that the 6.2 is insuffiicient, go with something else and be happy!

Old 12-22-2014, 01:12 PM
rvpuller
Received 430 Likes on 281 Posts
If you want to feel the power of the 6.2 when you aren't towing you will have to drive it hard for a while to get to adjust to the load, also it will be very doggy until it comes up to full running temps. If you drive it around with a egg under your foot that's how it will perform, it will adjust to the load. When you start pulling it adjusts to the load in very few miles unlike other gas Fords I had driven. I don't know how the 3.73 gears feel but my 4.30 gears will set your back side in the seat, there's been a couple of times I got on it going around a corner in town and it will scare the crap out of you because it accelerates so fast.

Trying to feel how it performs on a test drive will not give you a true feeling for the motor unless you have a very understanding sales person if you know what I mean.

Denny

Old 12-22-2014, 02:15 PM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
If you want to feel the power of the 6.2 when you aren't towing you will have to drive it hard for a while to get to adjust to the load, also it will be very doggy until it comes up to full running temps. If you drive it around with a egg under your foot that's how it will perform, it will adjust to the load. When you start pulling it adjusts to the load in very few miles unlike other gas Fords I had driven. I don't know how the 3.73 gears feel but my 4.30 gears will set your back side in the seat, there's been a couple of times I got on it going around a corner in town and it will scare the crap out of you because it accelerates so fast.

Trying to feel how it performs on a test drive will not give you a true feeling for the motor unless you have a very understanding sales person if you know what I mean.

Denny
I agree with what you said about this 6.2 motor Denny. If you want it to perform at it's best, then babying it will decrease the "throw you back into your seat feeling".

Old 12-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Pit Crew
Senior User
I love mine,but I drive with the egg under my feet. But I still think it runs good when I do rev it out. How long do you have to run it harder to get the full performance feel?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:13 PM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pit Crew
I love mine,but I drive with the egg under my feet. But I still think it runs good when I do rev it out. How long do you have to run it harder to get the full performance feel?
I use to baby it and look at the gas meter to see how good I could get the mileage lol. Smash that gas pedal down for a few days and shut off the traction control and see what happens. Just shutting off the traction control will get you to 60 a second quicker! There is a video on this thread that shows that. Good luck!

Old 12-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Hotrod70d
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont understand how the trucks a dog . Me comming from a 7.3 with 4.11 rears to a 6.2 with 373s pulling a gooseneck trailer this truck pulls every bit of what my old 7.3 did . Actually i think it pulls it faster coz im watchin the speed o meter to keep it under 80 never had to watch in my diesel ... Maybe coz the deeper gears dont know. Just know im happy with my new choice

Old 12-25-2014, 06:21 AM
PsycoJuana
Senior User
Love My 6.2! I hot rod it all over town hehe but try to baby it as much as possible due to gas consumption! Best story was one day My bro had to pick up his two little girls and a table saw for a floor we were doing at my aunts! He didn't know how to fit the saw and the girls in his explorer and I was like take the truck! just be careful. (he's a bad driver) he came back white faced and said my truck was a sleeper! Said he had to punch the gas to dodge a idiot pulling out and put the truck side ways fish tailing! first I asked how that happened with traction control, Oh he turned it off thinking the truck was a wussy! Lets just say today he has the respect the super duty demands

We load it with tile and tools every day and rolls on like nothing!

Old 12-25-2014, 04:47 PM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Dodge!

Katoom... I've been reading this thread since day one... we're up to 43 posts and in most of them, including mine, owners are very satisfied with the performance of the 6.2. I don't want to come off as being a jerk but, if nothing we say changes your mind, I think it's time you just bought the Dodge. If you feel better in that truck... do it - otherwise, you'll probably kick yourself later.

Merry Christmas!

Jim D

Old 12-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Pit Crew
Senior User
Again, I love my6.2. But I can`t run it hard to see its potential. I try to run it hard to get shift patterns to change and get it to run better like some of you say it will. I`m speeding in no time,and Idon`t really like running my truck hard. Does it really change performance of the engine or just transmission? Why could`t Ford have just put a performance **** like vetts and new mustangs? Am I really missing out on its capabilities?

Quick Reply: considering f250 with 6.2...but hated the power delivery