1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering f250 with 6.2...but hated the power delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:49 PM
johnread
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a '15 F-250 6.2L and really like it. It's true what they say - the truck seems to "learn" my driving habits. No problem at all pulling my 6800 lbs travel trailer, but I lock out 6th gear and performance is great. Gas mileage? Not so much. But a much, much more comfortable pull than my '13 F-150 5.0L. The additional weight of the truck and longer wheelbase really make a difference when pulling the trailer. The truck seems to have gained power now that I have 4k miles on it, and the shift points in Tow/Haul mode are fine. I'm very happy with my decision.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:00 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
From my old drag racing days, I can tell you "seat of the pants reckoning" is a very, very poor way to judge performance. It's too subjective and inconsistent. You could put 5 different, "average" guys behind the wheel of both of those trucks you drove, and you'll get 4 different answers as to which one was "best". The only way to be sure was to put them on the track, and measure 60 foot, 120 foot, quarter track, half track and finish line times.

Even if both trucks were sitting in same lot, and you drove them back to back, minutes apart. But I doubt that's what happened.

The Ford truck has a learning component and adaptive shifting (maybe the Dodge does too?). That learning in process takes time, so at first, it's not going to shift very solid. But it does get better the more you drive it. My 6.2 has the 3.73's in it and it's stock and unmodified. It has plenty of power for acceleration, and if I disable the traction control will spin the tires at every stop light if I'm so inclined. I'm not, as I'm a grown up, and tires are expensive, but the truck will do it.

I have not driven a new Dodge and I won't tell you to get it or not get it. It's up to you. If you know you like the Ford more than the Dodge, then go drive a different Ford, or better yet, go drive one that has some miles on it. But if you know you won't be happy with it, for sure don't get it. After driving mine for 2 years, I'm very happy with it, and most of the time I drive it like an old man, but I have out pulled Chevies and Dodges with it when the mood occasionally strikes me. Very subjective for sure, but there it is.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:01 AM
MadWolf
Tuned
here's a vid that compares the gassers of chev, dodge, ford, unloaded.

I have 15', f250, reg cab, 6.2, 2wd, 4.30. I haven't towed with it yet, but the power feels good to me. It could be because of the 4.30s, and that the reg cab 2wd weighs 2400lbs less than with the crew cab 4x4.

On the highway, going about 70, it hovers around 2000rpms, and sits just at the beginning of the power band, ready to go. Doing some quick math, my truck has almost the same power to weight ratio as my old Subaru wrx, and that's not bad. It would beat my old 5.0 bronco without trying too.

I'll try to find it again, but another compare I read, was the unloaded 0-60 time of the 6.2 vs the 6.7 diesel srw, was less than 1sec. was like 9.9 against 9.3seconds.

I just passed 1k miles, and I also noticed a slight change in the feeling, like it "learning". I think it feels slightly smoother going into shifts now, maybe just broken in.

If I was ever planning on towing over 5k on a regular basis, I would have went straight to the diesel though. The more torque, the less you feel the load, that's what it's there for. DRW is the only way to get the 4.30 on the diesel, but that must be nice.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:12 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
Take a look at this thread about a meet a few of the members have done the past few years. They hook up 15,000lbs of trailer and yank it up a hill. The 6.2 with 4.30's always fares well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ng-videos.html
Take it from one of the guys that was there, that 6.2 did a great job. I admit, it was not stock, but it did a great job both pulling, and controlling that load going down that hill. That is an aspect many don't talk about, braking while going down a hill. He did much better than me, both going down that hill and pulling it!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 AM
rutherk1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had a 2011 F250 6.7 and a 2014 6.2 F350. There is a difference in how the engine behaves while towing.

When I tow, I tow a 21 foot car hauler with usually 2 side by sides on it through the hills of WV. The biggest difference I see is that the 6.2 seems like its working harder. Once you are OK with the REVs (since that is what its designed to), it seems like it does a good job. I think the 6.2 and the 6.7 in the same truck are just about rated to tow/haul the same weight.

One thing to think about, on any new diesel. Unless you are towing a lot with it, its going to get grumpy on you. My 2011 6.7 was used to tow a couple times a year. It was also driven 5 miles to work and back. I kept needing NOx sensors. The service manager said that it was due to the short trips and not working the motor hard enough. Not enough regens. Stuff like that.

Just something to think about.

6.2s can be had super cheap. The motor is the most simple (in this day an age) motor in any of their line up too so not much to go wrong. I think the 6.2 will follow in the V10s foot steps. A good relatively powerful motor that is going to serve a lot of people a lot of trouble free miles.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:41 AM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob
I went from an '01, 6.8 V10 to the '15, 6.2, (both with 3.73) and was initially a little disappointed with the power... New truck had 7 miles on it, so I babied it the first couple of weeks. After 500 miles, I started playing and thought that the motor made more noise than power too. But... the tranny apparently "learns" your driving and adjusts to it. A few more hard accelerations, and then it was shifting for more power. Not snapping-my-neck-back power,.. but respectable for a truck rated at 10K lbs.

Now that I have >3K miles on it, the Engine seems to have loosened up, it revs more freely,and it shifts intelligently. I was actually surprised the other day. I was on one of those short on-ramps where you have to accelerate from a stop sign to get on the highway. I saw my opening and jammed on the accelerator. The motor came to life (still gets quite loud), and I had no problem merging. What pleasantly surprised me was that it chirped the tires, from 1rst to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd! Wasn't expecting that (I don'tremember ever doing that with the previous truck).

Off the line (empty), I don't see much difference from my old '01 V10. (I haven't towed more than 3K lbs so far, so I don't have a loaded comparison.) So while the 6.2 isn't a PowerStroke beast, it's got ample power for my needs, and it seems to be getting better as I put miles on the truck.
Originally Posted by johnread
I have a '15 F-250 6.2L and really like it. It's true what they say - the truck seems to "learn" my driving habits. No problem at all pulling my 6800 lbs travel trailer, but I lock out 6th gear and performance is great. Gas mileage? Not so much. But a much, much more comfortable pull than my '13 F-150 5.0L. The additional weight of the truck and longer wheelbase really make a difference when pulling the trailer. The truck seems to have gained power now that I have 4k miles on it, and the shift points in Tow/Haul mode are fine. I'm very happy with my decision.
Ditto, ditto, ditto... I just traded in an '08 6.4l Diesel F250 that I owned from new - I needed ($$$ upcoming necessary repair and diesel fuel prices) to get out of the Diesel. I was VERY pleasantly surprised when I drove the 2015 6.2 F350! I had driven an '08 5.4 before I bought the 6.4 and it couldn't get out of it's own way... that's why I went diesel. I carry a slide-in Truck Camper onto the beach so needed the torque. Anyway, even with only 5 miles on it, the '15 pulled very nicely (3.73s)... the first time I put my foot in it on the test drive, my wife even looked at me and said "Wow'! She remembered the 5.4 2008 and it's inability to move very well. We traded up this past spring to a new camper that weighed almost 1000 lbs more than the old one and it gave the '08 TRUCK (not the 6.4 diesel), a bit too much to handle. We used it that way all summer then traded in October. That was another reason for the F350 - I went from a payload of 2995 to 4082. The first weekend on the way to the beach with the new truck, I couldn't believe how well it handled the new camper. Changing lanes and passing a slower vehicle, was the only place I noticed a difference between the old truck and the new one. The old truck with the diesel - it passed people like it had no camper... effortless. The new truck, and as "johnread" stated, I always use "Tow/Haul" mode, does a great job carrying that 3800 lb camper. I have also noticed it get better with time - As both of these Gentlemen stated, I am at 1800 miles now and it does pull a lot better. Give the 6.2 another try before you give up on it!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:48 AM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rutherk1
I have had a 2011 F250 6.7 and a 2014 6.2 F350. There is a difference in how the engine behaves while towing.

When I tow, I tow a 21 foot car hauler with usually 2 side by sides on it through the hills of WV. The biggest difference I see is that the 6.2 seems like its working harder. Once you are OK with the REVs (since that is what its designed to), it seems like it does a good job. I think the 6.2 and the 6.7 in the same truck are just about rated to tow/haul the same weight.

One thing to think about, on any new diesel. Unless you are towing a lot with it, its going to get grumpy on you. My 2011 6.7 was used to tow a couple times a year. It was also driven 5 miles to work and back. I kept needing NOx sensors. The service manager said that it was due to the short trips and not working the motor hard enough. Not enough regens. Stuff like that. Just something to think about.

6.2s can be had super cheap. The motor is the most simple (in this day an age) motor in any of their line up too so not much to go wrong. I think the 6.2 will follow in the V10s foot steps. A good relatively powerful motor that is going to serve a lot of people a lot of trouble free miles.
Agreed, if the 6.4 went into Regen and I was just getting home, I used to have to get back on the highway and drive another 10 or 12 miles, out of my way to let the Regen complete. If I didn't, eventually, the diesel would go into "Limp Mode" because I didn't let Regens complete properly. I also got the "due to the short trips and not working the motor hard enough" from my Service Manager. The Diesels don't like to be short trip, daily drivers!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:52 AM
rutherk1
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimd1050
Agreed, if the 6.4 went into Regen and I was just getting home, I used to have to get back on the highway and drive another 10 or 12 miles, out of my way to let the Regen complete. If I didn't, eventually, the diesel would go into "Limp Mode" because I didn't let Regens complete properly. I also got the "due to the short trips and not working the motor hard enough" from my Service Manager. The Diesels don't like to be short trip, daily drivers!
Absolutely. If I drove 200 miles a day with a 5th wheel loaded up with skid loaders, I would have a diesel. Thats not what I do though .

Old 12-16-2014, 09:09 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Im lost on the op's first statement, he said he drove a 5.7 hemi witb 3.73 gears THEN it changed and he wrote 6.4 gas powered hemi......... so what one was it? because i know the 6.4 hemi even with 3.73 gears is a crazy powerful motor even in a hd 2500 platform

galaxy S4 using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-17-2014, 09:45 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised a few in this forum belittle the 6.2 motor. They say it's a turd or lacks power. I have a 2015 f350 CCLB 6.2 with almost 3000 miles on it. I haul 800 lbs. of tools and a 200 lb. work cap daily. It was getting about 12 mpg highway and city combined. Now it's up to 14 mpg combined! It's acceleration is great! IMO the best gas motor in a super duty! If you tow real heavy a lot then the 6.7 diesel might suit your needs better. Watch this you tube video. With 3.73 gears this f250 is a little over 6 seconds 0 to 60!

Old 12-17-2014, 09:49 AM
rutherk1
Senior User
Originally Posted by don123
I'm sick of owners trash talking the 6.2 motor. They say it's a turd or lacks power. I have a 2015 f350 CCLB 6.2 with almost 3000 miles on it. I haul 800 lbs. of tools and a 200 lb. work cap daily. It was getting about 12 mpg highway and city combined. Now it's up to 14 mpg combined! It's acceleration is great! IMO the best gas motor in a super duty! watch this you tube video. With 3.73 gears this f250 is a little over 6 seconds 0 to 60! Ford F250 6.2L 5 star tuned 0-60 pull - YouTube
I not sure who, in this thread, is trash talking the 6.2? . It doesn't have the power of a diesel but for what it is, it gets the job done without the worries/maint/complication of a modern diesel.

That's 5 star tuned 6.2 anyway . Looks really nice.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:48 AM
8iron
Senior User
I'm surprised a few in this forum belittle the 6.2 motor. They say it's a turd or lacks power. I have a 2015 f350 CCLB 6.2 with almost 3000 miles on it. I haul 800 lbs. of tools and a 200 lb. work cap daily. It was getting about 12 mpg highway and city combined. Now it's up to 14 mpg combined! It's acceleration is great! IMO the best gas motor in a super duty! If you tow real heavy a lot then the 6.7 diesel might suit your needs better. Watch this you tube video. With 3.73 gears this f250 is a little over 6 seconds 0 to 60! Ford F250 6.2L 5 star tuned 0-60 pull - YouTube
I drove my 6.2 for 80,000 kms and it was fine. I tow a lot in the mountains and just didn't care for the constant shifting a reving. I didn't care for the fact that I couldn't hold 6th gear on the highway in any headwind when unloaded. I didn't care for the terrible MPG. I did love the fact it was virtually trouble free and it sounded great. But if I'm being honest, compared to a Diesel or even any of the F150 motors the seat of the pants performance of the 6.2 in the Superduty is uninspiring.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:54 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 8iron
I drove my 6.2 for 80,000 kms and it was fine. I tow a lot in the mountains and just didn't care for the constant shifting a reving. I didn't care for the fact that I couldn't hold 6th gear on the highway in any headwind when unloaded. I didn't care for the terrible MPG. I did love the fact it was virtually trouble free and it sounded great. But if I'm being honest, compared to a Diesel or even any of the F150 motors the seat of the pants performance of the 6.2 in the Superduty is uninspiring.
if you couldn't hold 6th gear on a highway unloaded then there was something wrong with your motor or tranny!

Old 12-17-2014, 11:24 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-17-2014, 12:56 PM
8iron
Senior User
if you couldn't hold 6th gear on a highway unloaded then there was something wrong with your motor or tranny!
Not according to the dealership. I asked if it was normal and they told me everything checks out. They told me to tap the gas pedal when it didn't like 6th gear when cruising and it would shift up. And lots of times it did.

Quick Reply: considering f250 with 6.2...but hated the power delivery