will this work? low voltage disconnect device

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 05:53 PM
work.truck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Island Time
The problem is that the voltage at the fuse block will be dependent on the loads at any given time. If you just run a 14ga off the starter solenoid battery side, through a fuse, and into the box's input all the issues of what is or isn't running go away.
Ok i get all that..... except why would I go to the starter solenoid. Doesn't solenoid just get power from the battery. I have heard of this before I'm just trying to make sense of it why/how is that different then the battery

Old 12-15-2014, 05:57 PM
work.truck
Freshman User
Also i think ... correct me if im wrong but the volts on my battery while starting/cranking my truck drop to around 10 volts... so will the device kill the power everytime i start? I know some low voltage disconnect devices have a delay. I might need one with a delay

Old 12-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by work.truck
Ok i get all that..... except why would I go to the starter solenoid. Doesn't solenoid just get power from the battery. I have heard of this before I'm just trying to make sense of it why/how is that different then the battery
The starter solenoid on the passenger inner fender is a handy spot to pick up full time 12 volts. That's what Ford does on your truck already. Or at least I think it does. You've not indicated a year, model, or engine, so I'm only guessing. The idea is to get power direct from the battery instead iof down stream where you will start experiencing voltage drop.

Also i think ... correct me if im wrong but the volts on my battery while starting/cranking my truck drop to around 10 volts... so will the device kill the power everytime i start? I know some low voltage disconnect devices have a delay. I might need one with a delay
Yes, if there is no delay programmed in, the loads will be disconnected while cranking. I would ask the seller about that. Their website has a contact page here Peak DBI, Quality 4x4 Products and Accessories, Contact - Peak DBI. Other than that issue, based upon the description, this seems to be a very well designed unit for a very reasonable price.

BTW, one other issue in this design, if your radio is power by relays off the switch panel make sure that your memory wire is always kept hot and not connected to a source which is controlled by the disconnect device.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:22 PM
work.truck
Freshman User
The starter solenoid on the passenger inner fender is a handy spot to pick up full time 12 volts. That's what Ford does on your truck already. Or at least I think it does. You've not indicated a year, model, or engine, so I'm only guessing. The idea is to get power direct from the battery instead iof down stream where you will start experiencing voltage drop.

Yes, if there is no delay programmed in, the loads will be disconnected while cranking. I would ask the seller about that. Their website has a contact page here Peak DBI, Quality 4x4 Products and Accessories, Contact - Peak DBI. Other than that issue, based upon the description, this seems to be a very well designed unit for a very reasonable price.

BTW, one other issue in this design, if your radio is power by relays off the switch panel make sure that your memory wire is always kept hot and not connected to a source which is controlled by the disconnect device.
But ..... just wondering..... is there a difference between the battery and the solenoid .... why do people choose to use the solenoid ever? Is it just because of location and convenience? Or is there a benefit to going to the solenoid over the battery?

And i didn't think about the memory wire... i think maybe the music devices im looking at dont have a memory wire ....im thinking about buying the ... mc470b... from this website check them out tell me what you think ..... my other idea was an amp and wake board tower speakers

http://www.bossaudio.com/marine-products/utv/

Old 12-15-2014, 07:23 PM
work.truck
Freshman User

and thanks for that contact page you did all the work for me ..... I messaged them about the delay thank you

Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

But ..... just wondering..... is there a difference between the battery and the solenoid .... why do people choose to use the solenoid ever? Is it just because of location and convenience? Or is there a benefit to going to the solenoid over the battery?
Ok, now I understand the question. I think it's just to keep the battery from being cluttered up. There is already a number of lugs on the battery post of the solenoid to it seems like a logical place to put one more. It's also generally easier and more secure than trying to tuck it under the battery clamp bolt.

and thanks for that contact page you did all the work for me ..... I messaged them about the delay thank you
Happy to help. Please post back on this thread after you hear back from Peak DBi regarding the delay. I'm curious myself, and future folks that find this via search also might want to know.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 PM
work.truck
Freshman User
Ok, now I understand the question. I think it's just to keep the battery from being cluttered up. There is already a number of lugs on the battery post of the solenoid to it seems like a logical place to put one more. It's also generally easier and more secure than trying to tuck it under the battery clamp bolt.

Happy to help. Please post back on this thread after you hear back from Peak DBi regarding the delay. I'm curious myself, and future folks that find this via search also might want to know.
That makes perfect sense i think i will use the solenoid.... and i will post back for sure ... check out those speaker systems if you get a chance

Old 12-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

The MC470B setup look like an interesting option. Although I would take their claim of 1,000 watts with a grain of salt. Ok, make that a mountain of salt, especially at their claimed 0.01% distortion. If you get 50 or possibly 100 watts of reasonable quality sound it would be more realistic. But picking weatherproof speakers is a good thing. It's a lot cheaper than doing an amp with wakeboard speakers would be.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:14 PM
work.truck
Freshman User
The MC470B setup look like an interesting option. Although I would take their claim of 1,000 watts with a grain of salt. Ok, make that a mountain of salt, especially at their claimed 0.01% distortion. If you get 50 or possibly 100 watts of reasonable quality sound it would be more realistic. But picking weatherproof speakers is a good thing. It's a lot cheaper than doing an amp with wakeboard speakers would be.
Sweet.. thanks for all your help ....i will probably need some more in the future lol

Old 12-20-2014, 04:50 PM
work.truck
Freshman User

The device come pre programed with a 10 second delay .... but the seller is very nice and is willing to program it however i need it.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:21 AM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
If you haven't concluded this already, here's what I would suggest.

At least one deep cycle battery, the unit you are planning to install, and a solenoid similar to your starter solenoid but one that is designed to be used for long periods of time. I forgot what they call those but they have them.

Hook your amps to the solenoid out, and the solenoid to the deep cycle battery. Then take the switch to turn the solenoid on and hook it to the delay unit. You'll then never have to worry about a dead starting battery or overloading the units amperage rating.